Returning to an LS

Weber

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, former member here 2 years ago I sold my 2002 LSE :( and I have regretted it ever since. So Im on the hunt for a newer one. Slim picking in my area, but I found one across the border - 2006 v8. Couple questions though since I have some LS amnesia and not very familiar with 2nd gen issues. Do I still have to lose sleep wondering when my coils + vcg's will go bad? are there any issues with the 2nd gens that I didnt have to deal with on the 1st gen? Alos, it had the rounded fog lamps. In 2002 this was on certain packages, as I like this look I was wondering if all 06's were like this or if it was only sport/ultimate packages, I see no lse designation on the year.

Thanks guys, I hope to be back on the board soon with a new purchase.. merry xmas to me

Welcome!

All 06's came with a V8 and the LSE appearance package (doesn't say LSE on back or have spoiler).

Go with 05 if you want true assurance that you won't have to worry about COPs . They are covered under the recall or whatever that was. The 06s are excluded. But my 06 has just under 80K and no problems yet. They've proven to be more reliable than the gen I LSs. And like Rod states, they come with the LSE appearance package. You'll have to find a true LSE for an 03-05.

To answer your question in a better
More understandable way. Yes all 06's will have round fog lights.

They did make an LSE in the second gen, only in 04,05. If you go with an 04-05 the only way to get the round fogs are if it's an LSE. Only made in red black and silver. All other 03-04-05 ls's have the square like fogs. And the 06 was round no matter what.

I have an 06. Have had 3. No major problems. Although I always have an extended warranty because small things always seem to come up. Once my nav/cd changer jammed, once my speakers blew,(it was covered under the ext warranty) umm rear diff something happened to it. With all my ls's the warranty always ends up paying for itself.

from my understanding, you'll be much happier with the 2 gen. If you have the option, go with the 06.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help. I'm headed out there tomorrow to look at her

good luck, plenty of other LS's out there to use to hagle prices.... most dealers arnt going to hold on to a v8 RWD sedan during the winter... no matter what they say

Stay away from that one. Something seems wrong...

It has the front bumper and sides of an LSE but does not have all red tails. The rear surround and front grill do not look like they match the paint. The interior is stripped, no select shift, no heated seats, no wood trim, no adjustable pedals, those are 16" wheels, and the tape player... YUCK.

Stay away from that one. Something seems wrong...

It has the front bumper and sides of an LSE but does not have all red tails. The rear surround and front grill do not look like they match the paint. The interior is stripped, no select shift, no heated seats, no wood trim, no adjustable pedals, those are 16" wheels, and the tape player... YUCK.

Thats an 06....they didnt come with red tails. The heated and cooled seats arent a big plus as most of the time they dont even work and when they do they dont seem to work that well.

And stock tape player can be switched out to a double din dvd for $250 plus labor, and all the wood trim can be added as well as sst. I would offer 9 grand for it and add all the stuff to it.

Only thing you cant change are the lack of adjustable pedals.

You're right Black. I read it as an '05 somehow.

It is definately a stripped down '06 though.... not even a moonroof.

I have an '06 that I paid $12k, cherry condition in and out, about a year ago at a high end used import lot (BMW, Audi etc.). I love the look in tri-coat metallic white, black looks good too, and the grille. It really gets some looks. Anyway, I had to replace the coils at 50k but I am a hard driver. By the way it was running it could have been just one COP. I got a set for about $130 from an Ebay seller mentioned in an earlier post. It still purrs like a kitten at almost 53k miles. Other than that, I LOVE the car. With a cone filter, no resonators and a Magnflow X pipe there is just the right sound and a little extra performance.

I just assume I'll have to replace coils and vcg as an added expense to the car like my last one. As for going to see it, I couldn't Saturday, apparently shopping for presents is more important in the ol ladies' eyes. I'll have to wait until later this week or after xmas. Kind of bummed me out but maybe a good thing. I may of had tunnel vision and bought it without looking it over completely. I have calmed down and Im on more of a strategic mission to get the one I want.

The 06 is supposed to be the most reliable...it even has metal chain tensioners instead of the plastic ones.

Even if you do plugs and coils you will most likely never touch the vcg.

The 06 is supposed to be the most reliable...it even has metal chain tensioners instead of the plastic ones.

Even if you do plugs and coils you will most likely never touch the vcg.

is the 06 the only year in gen 2's that has the switch to metal chain tensioners?

From what i found posted on here its the only one.

From what i found posted on here its the only one.

hmm I wonder why only that year?

Have to keep that in mind when searching for another one. I really was going to stick to another 03-05 again because im not really a fan of the round fog lights of the 06's but they are starting to grow on me alittle bit.

The round fogs look more modern and you automatically get an LSE sport when you buy an 06. Not to mention they were the last ones made and typically newer is better.

The round fogs look more modern and you automatically get an LSE sport when you buy an 06. Not to mention they were the last ones made and typically newer is better.

Yeah on a side note these cars seemed to hold their value well. I paid 10 grand or so for my 04 v8 ultimate with 80,000 miles 2 years ago and the prices still seem the same lol.

You find one yet? There are two in my area, but doubt youll come to Ks to get a clean 06.

The one I looked at had some dings on it and he refused to budge on price so I left. I am looking through every site and magazine I can find to locate the 06 I'm looking for. Soon though, very soon

Members online

No members online now.
Back