Replacing Suspension Parts on Gen2

Andrizzle

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently got new wheels and tires as you know. As well as new springs.

When I did them, I noticed all the sway bar links and the rear toe-links are all very worn. I have no clunking or any noises or anything, but I am OCD and since I found those worn parts, I want to put on new ones. Plus I am going to get an alignment soon and want to just update it all.

I have a few questions though, so far I have orders for:

(2) Front sway bar links...Rockauto
(1) LH sway bar link...Rockauto
(1) RH sway bar link...Rockauto
(2) Rear outer tie-rods (toe-links)...Max

I am wondering what else I need to keep everything on the same cycle, I know balljoints are a major problem for us, but when I searched I mainly found 1stgens having all of the problems. I keep reading where in order to replace these you need to buy the entire control arms?! Also front sway bar bushings, those seem like a PITA to change on the gen2, so since I am not clunking I don't wanna mess with that haha.

Also since I have no clunking or problem noises, what is a good way to inspect the current balljoints?

In case it helps, I have a 2004 with almost 110k miles.

Thanks for any help guys. My hood comes on Tuesday so I will keep you guys updated on the LSE front conversion!

The front sway bar has the bushing attached to it. To take them off you have to cut them off. It doesn't seem that hard to do. The hardest part would be getting enough space to cut them off. It's not an easy swap like a fog light bulb but it shouldn't be that hard to do.I bought some energy bushings and will be putting them on in a few months, probably when school is out since its a week away and dont have time anymore.

I also searched for ball joints and found that only gen1 were availale as a single piece but for gen2 you had to buy the whole arm. Maybe you can get them as a single piece from max but all I found were for gen1.

You really have OCD or you're just kind of a perfectionist? If you see something not right with your ls/baby you'll want to fix it? I'm kind a like that. my dad makes fun of me cause I want to tear the whole car apart just to get rid of some little noise and fix it, but I want my car to run good and not sound like it's falling apart.

Actually... Will having the front bumper off help in the installation I wonder?

Because I will be putting on the LSE front, and if the bushing are there, I might as well tackle them.

Hmm....

Okay where do I order? haha

Oh and yea, I am not full blown OCD, but I am a total clean freak.

And yes a perfectionist, I can't stand things that are broken/wearing, on my car especially.

I discovered something new on my car today, that I am not sure if it is a common problem or not, but the trim above my passenger rear window, is coming off, the little clips don't hold it in all the way, and as soon as you shut the door, it comes unattached a little. This is something that will bother the crap out of me even though i rarely have rear passengers.

I dont know. I haven't gotten a good enough look at how things are in that area to see what gets in the way and i just glanced at 02v8sport's thread where he cut them off.

I ordered them from autozone. part# 9.5171R The R is for red, they also come in black

Okay just got the bushings for $20 shippt.

Worth a shot.

2000sport, is that for a gen2?

This is an error?? They do not have a separate lower ball joint for the later Gen II Lincoln LS. As of right now the only way to get the lower ball joint is with the complete lower control arm. I am still hoping they will release the later version!!

Yea I guess I'll hold off on the balljoints till they are shot for good.

I just wanted to kinda keep everything suspension related on the same page of wearing.

I thought the 2gen LS used thre 16mm ball joints?

I did finally install the wheel hub assembly today :)

Its still too damn cold to do the sway bar bushings. just going to have to deal with the clunking

Actually... Will having the front bumper off help in the installation I wonder?

Because I will be putting on the LSE front, and if the bushing are there, I might as well tackle them.

Hmm....

Okay where do I order? haha

Having the front bumper off will not help in installing the sway bar bushings. It will help in you could put the car on a lift though to do the sway bars bushings.

Okay thanks. I will probably see how difficult they will be to change out, if they r too gay, then I'll just keepem for when that time comes lol.

So do they offer Gen2 Ball joints i'm confused I'm reading all these old threads I'm just going to shoot them an e-mail lol

Please do so as I will looking to do this as well and wouldn't mind the info

Pics por favor

Members online

Back