Replacing sound system in mark

cmcallister6

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my sound system in mu 98 mark. I'm looking for good quality sound with a little bump. Any suggestions on speakers for front and back, possible amp and subs?

Get a kit in the front, no back speakers and a sub in the trunk.
Absolutley no need at all for rear speakers.

We cannot suggest anything for you unless you tell us how much you'd like to spend on it ;) There's everything between 100 dollars and 10'000 dollars.

It's also hard to suggest anything on here because everyone has their favorite stuff they like and swear by it. Like myself, I stand by and swear by Kenwood eXcelon head units and I always will. Others are the same way about Poineer and as far as speakers, I have JL Audio in the front and Kicker in the rear and three 10" JL's in the trunk. You have to decide what you wanna spend but I'm happy with what I have.

Some like screen units with Navigation and some don't. Some like double din and some don't. Mine is single din and navigation is useless for me because I know where I'm going lol. I rarely travel and if I need help that bad, my phone has me covered. It answers the phone for me, plays Pandora through BT, comes with a mic so that you can drive and talk. Has the iPod USB cable on the back and it's length is about 3 ft. so, there are no visible USB ports to be seen on the front. Would I like to have a double din unit? Yes, it would be alright but if I had wanted one that bad, I would have bought one. I don't plan on setting in the car long enough to watch a DVD. There are a lot of things you have to think about and take into consideration when buying the head unit. What are you going to use and what are you not going to use. Do you want something that is going to stand out to people that are walking by and might decide to come back at 3am and steal it?

Do you need navigation in your own town? Do you travel? Do you listen to bass music or all kinds? Do you want your head unit to light up the same color as your dash lighting? Is your car used for getting groceries and need all the room you can get in your trunk? Some have one 12", two 12", one 10", two 10" and then there is going to be the fight about sealed boxes, slot ported boxes (which is what I have) and then normal ported boxes. It's all going to come down to getting what YOU like and want and how much money you want to put into it but please, do not use existing speaker wire. Rewire all of your speaker wire. All of it.

I'm trying to stick away from subs, but still would like some bass. I don't listen to too much bass music but would like a little bump and for the speakers to sound good. What do ya think without getting into the thousands of dollars. JL front Kicker in the back?

I'm trying to stick away from subs, but still would like some bass. I don't listen to too much bass music but would like a little bump and for the speakers to sound good. What do ya think without getting into the thousands of dollars. JL front Kicker in the back?

That's what I have and it screams more than enough for me. 4 channel Kicker amp is connected to all 4 of those.

Get a kit in the front, no back speakers and a sub in the trunk.
Absolutley no need at all for rear speakers.

We cannot suggest anything for you unless you tell us how much you'd like to spend on it ;) There's everything between 100 dollars and 10'000 dollars.

that is the worst advise ever. back speakers rock. use a costum bracket and the sound stage in the car will be unreal.

that is the worst advise ever. back speakers rock. use a costum bracket and the sound stage in the car will be unreal.

I feel no use for it at all.
The people in the back can hear the front system really well anyways.
I like having the sound from front. And when on a budget, I'd rather spend some more money of the front system instead of having to split the money on both front and back system.

Just get any speaker you want. Just remember 5" X 7" speakers. Look for components. You wont get any bass at all without a sub. Just go for something small like an 8" sub and a small amp and that will sound great inside the car.

Members online

Back