Replacing Rear deck Amp

Nicelysedated

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I want to replace the rear deck amp w/ a stronger one. The connecter off the amp has six wires, I'm guessing they are 12v, 12v remote, ground, 2 wires for speaker level input, and one for level control to the head unit. Can you cut the wires and use them or get a harness to put in a new amp? The amp will be a sony XM-2150GSX, 150wattsx2 RMS at 4 ohms. and the speakers will be Audiobahn 6x9's that handle 180watts RMS. I will probally run a heavy gauge wire for power to the amp from the battery. Any help would be great.

The trunk connector (on the drivers side) is number C465 and the sub audio uses these pins:
1 = yellow/red: switched hot
3 = shield for low level audio signal
5 = red: constant power from battery junction box fuse F418 (20 amps)
7 = white/red: low level LEFT audio signal
8 = grey/red: low level RIGHT audio signal

I wired mine into a XM-2165GTX amplifier driving two XS-L1200B 12" subwoofers.

What is the shield for low level audio wire? is that one of the wires that goes into the speaker level input on the amp? I'm used to having 4 wires for 2 sepakers. You listed only 3 non power wires. I'm by no means a car stereo installer. I have installed amps in the past, and usually you take the incoming wires from the rear speakers put them in the speaker level input on the amp, and connect the wires to the speaker to the amp output. Your help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Quik, your car is bangin. Gotta get that thing dyno'd. I dream of the day I too can have a supercharged LS!!!!!!

this would wire up to your new amp using the RCA connectors (low level) not the speaker lever inputs. Pick up 2 crimp or solder on RCA connectors from Radio Shack. The "low level left" and "low level right" leads would wire to the center pin of the left and right rca connectors respectively. The "shield for low level signal" would be split and wired to the outer portion of each of the RCA connectors. You could, however, probably just ground that last lead to the amp but you may pick up some noise.

Hope this helps.

Does anyone know where I could get these connectors:

Male C466a <--Amp connector
Male C4068 <--Left Sub
Male C4069 <--Right Sub

This would allow me to wire in an amp and two subs without cutting the factory wires.

theunclesam said:
Male C4068 <--Left Sub
Male C4069 <--Right Sub

I found the two speaker connectors. Seems like it's the same for all the speakers. You can buy the harness at best buy, or any audio place for that matter. I still need something for the AMP. I'd hate to cut the factory wires, but I may not have a choice. Thinking of making a trip to Fry's and see about getting a connector. Will post back here with what I come up with.

i would suggest first replacing the speakers. then check if you like the sound.

if you feel that you need more power, then replace the amp. if i could do it over again, i would do it this way

good luck

this should be in the tech sec. with pics on how to do this I have tried this and have failed. need pic and step by step directions. lol

Here is a pic of the speakers im putting in. Quite a differnence from stock.

dsc00506-web.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back