replacing alternator 00 LS

gittyup87

LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to remove the alternator on a 00 LS V-8. I don't have a repair manual and the auto parts store here don't carry them.

I have most it it disconnetcted, pivot bolt, two bolts on either side of the bottom, power wire,the belts off. Can't figure out what is still holding it on.

I have just discovered I can order a manual on-line, but that will not help me at the moment. I need to get it back on the road as soon as possible. If any would knows or has a manual that could type in the how-to instructions or e-mail them I would really appreaciate it. Maybe even e-mail a scan of the page in the manual. Thanks

Generator —3.9L

Removal

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .
  1. Remove the air intake tube. For additional information, refer to Section 303-12 .
  1. Relieve the accessory drive belt tension and move the belt off the generator pulley. For additional information, refer to Section 303-05 .
  1. Raise the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
  1. Remove the front lower splash shield.
  1. Remove the lower RH splash shield.
  1. Remove the A/C suction line clip from the radiator core support.
  1. Remove the LH A/C suction line lower bracket bolt and position the bracket rearward.
  1. NOTE: The A/C suction line may need to be positioned rearward to ease generator removal.

Remove the top nut and through bolt.
  1. Remove the lower bolts.
  1. Turn the generator slightly to access the generator positive cable nut and remove the nut.
  1. Lower the generator slightly and disconnect the electrical connector.
  1. Remove the generator.
    • Rotate the generator to gain access for removal.
    • Remove the generator.
The pics are for steps 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.

step5.gif

step6.gif

step7.gif

step8.gif

step9.gif

step10.gif

step11.gif

step12.gif

Thank's Quik, You tha' Man! I had everything off but that A/C line was holding it in. I'm still irked that I needed to replace after 50,000 miles. So, for future reference a mechanic friend told me the alternators are too small for that car. If anyone else has charging problems.

gittyup87 said:
Thank's Quik, You tha' Man! I had everything off but that A/C line was holding it in. I'm still irked that I needed to replace after 50,000 miles. So, for future reference a mechanic friend told me the alternators are too small for that car. If anyone else has charging problems.
not sure what this means - but here is a link to a high-output one.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7941891130&category=33573&sspagename=WDVW

not sure if this is different than stock...

i can not find this anywhere, the picture isn't very good either.
"Remove the LH A/C suction line lower bracket bolt and position the bracket rearward." where is that at?

yeah i see the drawing, i cant make any of it out, i don't see that anywhere.

Under the car, trace the AC line and you can't miss it.

everything is off, all bolts and cables, but it is stuck, it just will not come out, its stuck at the top (almost as if the bolt was still in it, but it is not) i can move it back and forth but just the bottom moves, just going back and forth is not making it inch out either, its not moving.. any suggestions on how to get it out?

it is just a very tight fit and on top of that years of being stuck there just makes it tighter yet. I recently changed my alternator and what i had to do is i stuck a pry bar between the alternator and the engine block and put outward pressure on it while wiggling it back and forth. You could also try penetrating oil. Not to discourage you but putting the new one in isn't a party either. Hope this helps

I assume this means you removed the bolt on the top stud, and you are rotating it on the stud, which is what it sounds like. You should be able to slide it back far enough to get it off the stud, if you have the AC line attaching points removed. There are 3-4 along the radiator crossmember to remove, then one on the side close to the alternator that has to be removed. When all the retainers for the AC line are removed you should be able to swing the hose clean out of the way and slide it off.

This does assume, of course, that you removed the 13mm bolt on the top stud, which can't be seen from the underside without a small mirror?

Members online

No members online now.
Back