replaced oil filter adapter now car wont stay started!

manish

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok was driving to work doing about 40, when I started hearing noises from my engine, I pulled over and turned the car off. I got out, saw oil all over the ground. I tried putting more oil in to find the leak, oil poured right out just as fast as I poured it in! Got the car towed home. Researched and found it was the oil filter gasket, replaced it with the correct one from the dealership. Changed the oil filter and tried to get the car to start. It turns over, no noise from the block but more like loud noise from the lifters being dry. Car will not stay idled. If I give it gas it will run until I take my foot of the pedal. Then I tried it another day and it stayed idled...but very rough then died out. My buddy thinks its not getting oil up to the lifters and that I should part the car out yet. What do u guys think? Btw I run full syn 5w-30 mobile one. Please some one call me asap 313-288-4277 eric

you ruined the engine thats what happened, you ran the engine with no oil in it. Its not as bad as parting out the whole car...just throw a good used engine in there....and keep the Mark alive. Go to car-part.com and find one near you at a decent price...or check on here on the for sale section.

Before you condemn the motor, change the oil and put in a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. Start it up and keep it running at as low of an RPM as possible. Do this for about 10-15 minutes. The lifters are probably collapsed. This will allow them to pump themselves up slowly minimizing any further damage. I had this happen when my Son ran the car way low on oil. It was only a couple of lifters and after about 10 minutes it was silent and running perfect again. If this doesn't work, take Marvin's advice and get a new engine. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Running a motor with no oil is like you trying to run down the road with no blood...bad things are sure to happen :(

Running a motor with no oil is like you trying to run down the road with no blood...bad things are sure to happen :(

my cousin always tried to ruin his cars so his dad would buy him something nicer ,( and it usually worked :mad:)

he drained the oil completely out of his 88 mustang 2.3l and then started it and let it run for about 10 minutes,got sick of waitng for failure so he revved it few times,then after nothing really happened (the engine was a little noiser than before) he decided to drive it , he went about 15 miles beating the snot out of it and then finally returned home,got bored and parked it.the next morning he needed to go somewhere and decided to just put oil back in it and drive.

he had that same car/engine , unrebuilt etc, for 2 years until he crashed it into a telephone pole one night on a wet road.After re-adding 5 qts of oil it ran like the day he got it.:rolleyes:

dont know why that engine wouldnt die, and ours does after a few minutes, probably had looser tolerances and didnt grind itself apart like ours.

always ticked me off because i would always try so hard to maintain my cars,and he treated em like crap cause he wasnt paying for them.

back on topic.

those 2.3 liters were endless, one of the best engines ford ever produced. just like the 3.0. I have an aerostar with the 3.0 and a taurus with the 3.0 endless engines.....the 3.0 are still being used today in the Lincolns called the duratecs.

I've had a couple of 2.3L Mustangs and those engines are bulletproof! I had a 1980 Mustang with a 2.3 that had about 300k miles on it before it spun a rod bearing. Had a friend of a friend:rolleyes: rebuild it for me because I was lazy(er) at that time than I am now (bad idea). Turns out that he didn't know what he was doing. Not only did he not evenly torque the flex plate bolts (flex plate cracked and nearly fragmented in the bellhousing), but he put all the piston ring gaps in line:eek: My dad and I ended up tearing it down and rebuilding it again. Properly this time. It did great until I finally sold it to an ex-girlfriend :p But my favorite 2.3 Mustang was my '87 T-Top 5-speed that I put the T-Bird Turbo Coupe suspension under. That car was fun.

must of been fun....but at the same time very slow.

unless you put the 2.3L turbo coupe engine....hey manish why dont you try one of those in the mark viii.

Well, it wasn't exactly "slow". But it wasn't a speed demon either:D It was a stock 2.3L with a whopping 88hp from the factory. Unfortunately, I had already parted out the turbo engine before I got the Mustang. However, I had installed an open-element conical air filter, gutted the intake silencer and installed a tubular header from a '79 Mustang attached to a gutted converter with T-Bird Turbo Coupe dual exhaust with glasspack mufflers. After all that it was a LOT faster than it was when I got it bone stock. But what it lacked in off-the-line acceleration it more than made up for in handling. I used the electronic adjustable shocks and struts, rear horizontal stabilizer shocks, front and rear sway bars, rear diff (3.55:1 limited slip), front and rear brakes, and 16" snowflake wheels and P245/50HR16 tires from my wrecked '88 Turbo T-bird. Everything bolted up with little or no modifications at all (only a little re-routing of rear brake lines was necessary). I wired the shock solenoids up to a lighted rocker switch mounted under the radio in the console to adjust the soft/firm settings on the shocks. In "firm" mode, the rocker switch lit up red. The light went off when switched to "soft". The car handled like a friggin' go-kart with the shocks on "firm". In "soft" mode, it still handled amazingly! I really miss that car. Selling it was one of the stupidest things I have ever done in my entire life. And I've done a lot of stupid things...:lol:

Wow. We are sooooooo off topic:rolleyes:

What are these "lifters" you people speak of?

Do these engines have lifters? I thought one advantage of over head cam engines is there are no lifters or pusrods.

semantics.

3.0 vulcan and 3.0 duratec have almost nothing in common.

Live long and perspire...:D
spock salute.JPGhere's a Vulcan...:p

And here's another Vulcan vulcan30.jpg
Duratecduratec30.jpg

One is an alien with green blood and pointy ears, one is a pushrod OHV and the other is a DOHC. They share nothing but the 60* V configuration and the number of cylinders (well, except for the green blooded hobgoblin:lol:).

spock salute.JPG

vulcan30.jpg

duratec30.jpg

Members online

Back