REPLACE YOUR COOLING SYSTEM - 2004 Fun and Easy Steps

I've just replaced all the plastic and rubber with new. I've been trying to bleed following the procedures I've found on YouTube. Here's my concern. Each time I think I've bled it. I close the bleeder hose, and the new cap on the new degas bottle. I've been doing this while engine was running and heater on max. I close it all up, then hit the accelerator and I get coolant squirting out of the coolant bottle's pressure relief outlet. Does this mean I just have more air in the system that I haven't purged, or could it mean bad head gasket?

I've just replaced all the plastic and rubber with new. I've been trying to bleed following the procedures I've found on YouTube. Here's my concern. Each time I think I've bled it. I close the bleeder hose, and the new cap on the new degas bottle. I've been doing this while engine was running and heater on max. I close it all up, then hit the accelerator and I get coolant squirting out of the coolant bottle's pressure relief outlet. Does this mean I just have more air in the system that I haven't purged, or could it mean bad head gasket?
Did the degas have the correct level of coolant?

Did the degas have the correct level of coolant?
I found the problem.. the degas tank has two barbed hose fittings (to the left of the fill cap when you are facing the front of the car, molded into it. The larger one is a dead end (intentionally) and is plugged. It is used to loop a hose hanger to support one of the lines. Directly forward of it, is a smaller diameter fitting which seems to have a pressure relief valve built in. This apparently takes any pressure found in Degas tank and routes it back to the Thermostat housing.. I had put hose that goes back to the Thermostat on the "deadend" fitting, so the degas tank was spitting coolant every time I revved the engine. I took photos before I tore it all apart, but somehow deleted them from my phone.. dum..... any how, everything is bled and works well now...

...Directly forward of it, is a smaller diameter fitting which seems to have a pressure relief valve built in. This apparently takes any pressure found in Degas tank and routes it back to the Thermostat housing.. I had put hose that goes back to the Thermostat on the "deadend" fitting, so the degas tank was spitting coolant every time I revved the engine. I took photos before I tore it all apart, but somehow deleted them from my phone.. dum..... any how, everything is bled and works well now...
Nope.
The pressure relief valve is in the degas cap. It vents excess pressure (air or liquid) out around the base of the cap and down the side of the bottle onto the ground.
That small hose is the engine air bleed. It actually brings air (and coolant when the air is gone) from the high point of the engine cooling system to the degas bottle. This air/coolant coming in makes it possible for the coolant in the degas bottle to go out the bottom hose and back into the engine and heater loops.

Members online

No members online now.
Back