removing the resonator cobra sound?

sho89mtx

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's my question. If i put 2 flowmaster 40 series mufflers and take off the resonator on my exhuast, will it sound comporable to a cobra or mustang's exhaust?

yeah, but how will it compare to that or my 99 t/a when i put on flowmasters? t/a's only have 1 muffler and it sounded good, these cars have 2, so wouldn't it be just as loud?

dude, just take off resovuar and scilencer, it will sound just like it....add flowmasters, it will sound like a stang with fm's.

MrWilson said:
dude, just take off resovuar and scilencer, it will sound just like it....add flowmasters, it will sound like a stang with fm's.
resovuar? What's that, u mean the resonator and the air silencer removal? Do you have to take it to a muffler shop to take the resonator off, or can my mechanic friend do it? Does it require welding once it's off?

sho89mtx said:
resovuar? What's that, u mean the resonator and the air silencer removal? Do you have to take it to a muffler shop to take the resonator off, or can my mechanic friend do it? Does it require welding once it's off?

I believe he is talking about, the silincers moulded to the air intake tube. Many hack them off, and fiberglass the holes over. This deepens the intake Roar, and makes it ALOT louder.

I have done it to my 94, and LOVE the sound

94m5 said:
I believe he is talking about, the silincers moulded to the air intake tube. Many hack them off, and fiberglass the holes over. This deepens the intake Roar, and makes it ALOT louder.

I have done it to my 94, and LOVE the sound

where do you get the fiberglass from?

mark8cha said:
where do you get the fiberglass from?

You can pick up a small fiberglass repair kit at autozone, or walmart, either one. It will come with the resin, hardener, and the fiberglas mat. When and if you use it, WEAR GLOVES, that crap is nasty.

MrWilson said:
So you telling me that my car(which sounds like frickin' a grand marquis when it starts up now)is gonna go from that weak sound to sounding like a cobra just by taking the intake silencer off and drilled intake? I beleive that it will be louder, but i doubt highly that it's gonna sound anywhere near how a cobra would without adding some flowmasters or at least taking off that resonator which block the sound of the exhaust for the grandpa's the drive this car, which is actually funny if you think about because most can't hear good anyway :)hahahhahaha, ok that was uncalled for

Just wait a few hours. Walt is bringing me the hi res video of James car from 2 weeks ago at the shop, then see what mufflers you will want. Wait til' you hear THIS !!!

ONEBADMK8 said:
Just wait a few hours. Walt is bringing me the hi res video of James car from 2 weeks ago at the shop, then see what mufflers you will want. Wait til' you hear THIS !!!
k, i'll be waiting to hear that bad boy!

Matter on minutes now. I just have to edit and upload the file. i am in the middle of setting up my new sickass Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2020u monitor so it will be shortly after that.

the resovuar is the little chamber near the top of the intake that is connected to the tube via a little flexy hose (take of the beauty covers to see it)...run down to home depot, and get a quick cap for it. tighten it on, and thats that...about a 15 second process. the scilencer is a little more diffacult, especially if your not familear with working on cars. take off the pass front tire, (jack the car up, of course), remove the front part (or all) of the plastic wheel well via the 3 clips that hold it in place...and i forget what to do after that, it was a while back. All i remember is, there was a $hit load of pushing and grunting. ( i had to use a crow bar to get leverage, youll see what i mean when you get to that part)....let me drop a link for the process http://lincolnsonline.com/tech.html this is helpful for many things...and heres the link for the scilencer removial ... http://lincolnsonline.com/article24.html ...good luck( it will take you about an hour to 2 if you arent familear with doing stuff to cars. This article has all 3 things, removing the scilencer, drilling the box, and removing the resovuar. When i did that, the people at my gas station asked me if i put flowmasters on the car. Thats all i have done to the car, and my friend says when i mash on it when i leave his devolpment he can hear me like his cobra from over a 1/4 mi away. So, its definatly nothing to scoff at.

you dont need any fiberglass, and no it wont nessissarly sound like a cobra, but it wont sound like a p^$$y anymore either!

MrWilson said:
the resovuar is the little chamber near the top of the intake that is connected to the tube via a little flexy hose (take of the beauty covers to see it)...run down to home depot, and get a quick cap for it. tighten it on, and thats that...about a 15 second process. the scilencer is a little more diffacult, especially if your not familear with working on cars. take off the pass front tire, (jack the car up, of course), remove the front part (or all) of the plastic wheel well via the 3 clips that hold it in place...and i forget what to do after that, it was a while back. All i remember is, there was a $hit load of pushing and grunting. ( i had to use a crow bar to get leverage, youll see what i mean when you get to that part)....let me drop a link for the process http://lincolnsonline.com/tech.html this is helpful for many things...and heres the link for the scilencer removial ... http://lincolnsonline.com/article24.html ...good luck( it will take you about an hour to 2 if you arent familear with doing stuff to cars. This article has all 3 things, removing the scilencer, drilling the box, and removing the resovuar. When i did that, the people at my gas station asked me if i put flowmasters on the car. Thats all i have done to the car, and my friend says when i mash on it when i leave his devolpment he can hear me like his cobra from over a 1/4 mi away. So, its definatly nothing to scoff at.

you dont need any fiberglass, and no it wont nessissarly sound like a cobra, but it wont sound like a p^$$y anymore either!

Well if i could find someone who is more mechanically inclined than a 3 year old girl(I'm the one that's like a 3 year old mechanically)I plan to do those mods and I bought the spark plugs to install to. both I can't do by myself. How about one of you guys take a vacation to Yukon, Oklahoma and help a brotha out :)

If you remove your single exhaust's resonator, and add flowmasters, it will sound different. it will NOT sound like a Cobra/Saleen/Roush/Mustang GT. You have a completely different exhaust layout(pipe route, size, bends, length, diameter).

I have driven a base model(single exhaust) mark VIII with the exact set up you are asking about...it sounds decent enough at high rpms(like if you held it in manual-2nd at 4000 rpms), but you will pray for instant death by means of a steam roller because the drone in the car is enough to rattle every single fastner/clip/seam loose inside the car. If you have a sunroof, the glass will even vibrate and drive you nuts.

I am sorry...these cars just dont work out with many of the exhaust "schemes" you have seen on other cars.

You should go to an exhaust shop, and ask them. They have no problem cutting off your old mufflers, and clamping on a couple new ones for you to test-hear. You cant leave with them, but you can start the car, and listen to them. I simply advise you listen to them with the doors shut, holding the throttle at about 1700-1900 rpms...and again at 3800-4000....that is where the most significant drone is notcied.

I went with magnaflow 2 1/2 in/out, removed resonator, and stainless tips(welded on at a down-angle to match stock 93-94 exhaust). I wish my car was a bit louder on the outside(advertising), but i am thrittled with the deep, rich tone inside the car...and when i stomp the go-pedal, folks know it "aint stock"...(even though it is)

ill tell you it wont sound like a cobra but it will sound like.............. :Bang

Members online

No members online now.
Back