Removing Headlight lens

hockey930

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I am trying to remove my headlight lens. I know there has been a million threads about this, and I belive I have read them all. However I just got a set of headlights that have grey sealer on them(2000), however they have been opened before and put back together. I have put them in the oven at 210* for about 12 minutes. Did anyone do anything diffrent then that? Were you able to pull the lights apart by hand? People keep talking about a tutorial wich I can't find Unless it as just a small post that said how to remove them with no pics, in that case I did find it. Any suggestions you guys may have are greatly appreciated.
thanks
Eamonn

yeah I bumped the heat up to 250-260 for 8 or so mins.....I pulled them out and hand gloves on and pulled hard right away....and they popped lose.....one at a time in the oven.....good luck and take your time.....

Make sure you remove the metal clips that hold the clear lens to the black housing. It really won't hurt them if you bump up the heat a bit. Start at the high beam end and pull work them apart.

yes, thanks guys. I got one of the lights open finaly. I put it in for about 13 minutes at 255*. I used alot of force and managed to cut my finger with a butter knife..... but it's all worth it because i got it open. I will try to do the other one tonight. What did you guys you to reseal the lights? and what did you use for glue on the angel eyes?
thanks
Eamonn

I used those plastic metal binder clips to attach the flat top part of the angel eyes to the chrome reflectors... my angel eyes came with them; then I used a 2 part epoxy for plastics and glued the clips to the rings and the chrome reflectors.

You should be able to loosely fit everything back togehter, pop it back in the oven and squeeze the assembly togehter again. If you think there are going to be any gaps in the sealant, lay some grey RTV sealant in the chanel on the housing where the clear glass connects. After you seal them up and test the lights, go around the tops of the lights with some black RTV and they'll never leak.

If you r putting the light in the oven with the angel eye wiring you are just asking for trouble....It may have worked out for mholhut, But I strongly suggest not doing it. I would use a heatgun or hairdryer to reheat the sealant. I have taken my lights apart like four times and each time I used a hairdryer to reseal it. I haven't had any problems with leaks either. It's your lights and your choice but I wouldn't do it.

That is the same thing I was thinking, How would you go about sticking the lights back into the oven with the new stuff installed without ruining something?

Baking is the way! This is a common practice not just among LS owners, but for most car enthusiasts who install DDE's in their headlights. I don't think you have to bake the BMW lights though.

Members online

Back