Remove Ignition Switch Without Going Insane

1986_MarkVII

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Admittedly, I'm new to the Lincoln Mark VII ownership. Prior to that I had always been a Chevy owner, with my recent car a 1977 Impala.

So far, everything on the Lincoln that requires replacing is a major act that costs a small fortune. I'm so frustrated I want to drive the beast off a cliff.

I'm trying to replace the ignition switch and its held into the steering column with riffits. It's just as bad as the major work to drop the gas tank just to change the fuel pump, or as difficult it is to change the fuel filter. It goes on and on.

I need to replace the master cylinder, but its screwed in allen screws and I can't get any kind of torgue because of the way everything is too close to the unit. My tools are stripping the bolt.

What I want to know is, does Ford hire a bunch of drunks to design their cars? I'm not trying to be funny. But after coming from maintaining a Chevy, I'm dumb struck at how every item on this Lincoln that is standard maintenance and replace items, are secured with riffits or in obsecure places that are labor intensive and costly to remove and replace.

I have been using a small hack saw for over two hours on that misbegotten ignition switch mounting unit, and I'm just about insane. I've barely made a groove. I've replace the same unit in my Impala twice in its life time and it was a nothing thing.

There's got to be an easier way. Has anyone else had to replace this unit and if so, how did you do it?

Once I destroy the riffits, then how do I secure the new unit?

Help!

1986_MarkVII said:
Admittedly, I'm new to the Lincoln Mark VII ownership. Prior to that I had always been a Chevy owner, with my recent car a 1977 Impala.
Congratulations and welcome.
1986_MarkVII said:
So far, everything on the Lincoln that requires replacing is a major act that costs a small fortune. I'm so frustrated I want to drive the beast off a cliff.
You'll love it when it's done an done correctly. You now own the best car on the planet.
1986_MarkVII said:
I'm trying to replace the ignition switch and its held into the steering column with riffits. It's just as bad as the major work to drop the gas tank just to change the fuel pump, or as difficult it is to change the fuel filter. It goes on and on.
The ignition switch can be done in 30 minutes by a first timer when someone shows you how. The same thing goes for the fuel filter. I just haven't taken pictures of that job yet.
1986_MarkVII said:
I need to replace the master cylinder, but its screwed in allen screws and I can't get any kind of torgue because of the way everything is too close to the unit. My tools are stripping the bolt.
These will fit onto extensions and universal joints and the like and once a breaker bar is attached, then you can torque em open easily.
B00003030M.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

1986_MarkVII said:
What I want to know is, does Ford hire a bunch of drunks to design their cars? I'm not trying to be funny. But after coming from maintaining a Chevy, I'm dumb struck at how every item on this Lincoln that is standard maintenance and replace items, are secured with riffits or in obsecure places that are labor intensive and costly to remove and replace.
The ignition switch was thought to last forever so anti-theft break-away bolts were used to INSTALL them. Once you buy a replacement switch, you'll see Super-Torx screws hold the new unit in. You'll only need one size so get it the same day you get the switch and you'll know what size you'll need.

1986_MarkVII said:
I have been using a small hack saw for over two hours on that misbegotten ignition switch mounting unit, and I'm just about insane. I've barely made a groove. I've replace the same unit in my Impala twice in its life time and it was a nothing thing.
Yeah. They ar a piece of cake ... to steal that is.
1986_MarkVII said:
There's got to be an easier way. Has anyone else had to replace this unit and if so, how did you do it?

Once I destroy the riffits, then how do I secure the new unit?

Help!
See the link posted above by One_Way and then tell us howyou made out.

Houston, we have ignition switch. Repeat, we have ignition, but no operating car. See the Going Insane, Help! entry for the loss of mental prowess from the Lincoln Mark VII electrical quandary.

Back to the ignition switch victory.

After two hours of sawing the rivets to no avail, I finally prevailed upon my girlfriend to help with her Dremel.

After three hours, our two-brilliant minds solved the ignition removal mystery. We wailed with delight and yes, high fived each other in the street proclaiming women rule and that we are the new generation of Rosie the Riveter.

Yes, delusions are optional on Mark VII repairs, and in my case, a necessary evil for dealing with my beast.

Long story short, the mutilated screws came out and then we went through a several rounds of musical chairs in and out of the Lincoln first trying to determine where exactly is the Run position on the key cylinder, and then trying to match the notch to the hole in the switch.

We had two sawhorses in the street next to the car, with a plywood board across for a counter. On the counter we had our stereo boom box playing classic rock, our ice teas, the Haynes manual, surgical gloves to protect our hands, and a box of tools.

I had my work stool in front of the make shift work counter. I highly recommend this mode of operation, especially to Led Zepplin's "When the Levy Breaks" because its befitting a dieing Lincoln Mark VII. But mostly, the set up is essential if you have no idea what you are doing, but want to look competent.

I suspect the neighborhood thought we were reconstructing the Lincoln because of the hours of drilling and hammering. Judging from the frequent trips down my streets, I’m sure the consensus among the men is a that women should never be left alone with power tools and a classic car.

My advice to anyone in the future reading this section is don’t try to saw off the rivets. Use a chisel and hammer to make notches and then unscrew the unit.

If after the installation, your Lincoln is still having problems, go to the threads titled: “Going Insane, Help!

Ignition Stuff

I had both the ignition switch and the key switch go out. While I was shopping at the parts place, one of the sales people happened to know someone there with experience in the field. The expert said "It's a bitch, pay someone else to do it." I did, and I'm glad. I bought the parts and the local repair shop did it for $35. I didn't have to buy any "special" tools, spent no personal time on it and ended up with no skinned knuckles or increase in my "sailor's" vocabulary. But Old School's pix sure looked good. I might even try it myself next time....

Scott Adams said:
But Old School's pix sure looked good. I might even try it myself next time....
If nothing else, thanks for the compliments :)

I think these Ladies kicked ass! The anti-theft bolts are unique. One thing that I forgot to add was that I use needle nose Vise-Grip pliers to remove the bolts. When I change the switch in my other 1984, I'll include pictures of removing the bolts.

Vise-Grip_NeedleNose.jpg

Scott Adams said:
I didn't have to buy any "special" tools, spent no personal time on it and ended up with no skinned knuckles or increase in my "sailor's" vocabulary.

Gee Scott, I don't know, but it seems to me it's pointless to engage in car restoration if you can't let the explatives fly. In my part of the country we call it Chevy Bonding or the deal breaker. But then we're a close knit family. :dancefool

Members online

No members online now.
Back