removal of exhaust resonator

sho89mtx

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok since I don't have an LSC I guess i have two mufflers and and a resonator. My question is first is the resonator a bolt on item that can be taken off without having to custom make a pipe to replace it like u would with a cat removal and second of all if i took it off and added 2 flowmaster 40 series mufflers, would it sound close to the sound of a cobra. I asked this question in another post, but people thought i was talking about removing the air silencer on the engine intake. I'm gonna do that this weekend no matter what. This is different.

One side is bolted in, and the other is welded to the exaust going up torwards the engine.

You have a couple different options.

1. cut it out, and weld a pipe in place. ( you will have to cut it to remove the system if you need to do any work to it. later)

2. Have the flange formed by an exaust shop, and just "delete" the resonator.

This will make the car a BIT louder. The Mark does sound like a cobra, the only problem is, it has so many mufflers, you can't hear it. Getting rid of the resonator, and swapping in a pair of flows, will supprise the hell out of you.

Mike

ok, the resonator is actually the 3rd cat.,so...good luck with that one.

MrWilson said:
ok, the resonator is actually the 3rd cat.,so...good luck with that one.
Ok now I'm thoroughly confused. I thought my car had 3 cats, a resonator, and 2 muflers?

sho89mtx said:
Ok now I'm thoroughly confused. I thought my car had 3 cats, a resonator, and 2 muflers?

I don't know about to guys but when I'm under there are three cats and after the third cat there is a little 8x6 or so tiny muffler or the resonator. So three cats a res and 2 mufflers.

BeatingU said:
I don't know about to guys but when I'm under there are three cats and after the third cat there is a little 8x6 or so tiny muffler or the resonator. So three cats a res and 2 mufflers.

there are 3 cats.........1 for each cylinder bank, and then ther is a 3rd which also doubles as the y pipe. from there it runs to the back of the car, and the front and back halves are split at this Resonator.

I know what the eff im talking about here. :)

there is three cats and a resonator on my 93 mark, i took out the resonator and just welded a pipe in its place, the third cat splits the exhaust from two to one, the resoator looks like a mini muffler

Members online

No members online now.
Back