Removal of center Console 2001 LS PLEASE HELP

YUNGDEW

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow LS owners!!!
I Currently purchased a Black 01 Lincoln LS...what i would like to do is remove my dash so I can paint it Brushed Nickel. I think it will go good with my black leather and wood grain. Does anybody on this forum know how to remove the center console, and all the trim on the doors?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to completing this project...

Are you wanting to remove the entire dash? Or just the center console pieces(climate controls, radio, etc...) in the dash?

Are you wanting to remove the entire dash? Or just the center console pieces(climate controls, radio, etc...) in the dash?

No not the entire dash, just the climate control, radio, and air vent...is that possible? And also the wood on the door.

No not the entire dash, just the climate control, radio, and air vent...is that possible? And also the wood on the door.

They should pop out. Start with the ashtray and work your way up. The ashtray just pops out with a help.

I know someone removed theres and color matched them to the car. If know one post with more info, try searching the topic. I know it was just reasonly posted.

They should pop out. Start with the ashtray and work your way up. The ashtray just pops out with a help.

I know someone removed theres and color matched them to the car. If know one post with more info, try searching the topic. I know it was just reasonly posted.

So the Ash Tray just pops out? Do i have to remove the console where my Cup Holders are?

Ok and how about the door?

So the Ash Tray just pops out? Do i have to remove the console where my Cup Holders are?

Ok and how about the door?

No. The center console with your cuo hold can stay.

Not sure about the doors. Bklene knows. He removed and painted all of his.

THe top 2 air vents just pop out too. I use a flathead to get my fingers under it on both sides and just pull.

There are two bolts on top if the radio.

Pull out the ashtray like RollinLS said. There will be two bolts under the climate control.

After removing those 4 bolts, popping out the airvents and ashtray, and disconnecting any wires, you should have everything removed.

As for the center console, yours is different from mine (being that yours is a 2001), but Ill explain how I removed mine just to give you a general Idea.

The top portion of the center console pops off, pull up on it from the front so you dont break the plastic clips in the back. Once removed you will see 2 small bolts in the front, 2 in the middle, and 4 more in the back after popping out the rear airvents. The console comes appart into 2 pieces. Pushed the handbrake cover down so it will pop out of the console and twist it to completely pull it out. Slip the console over the handbrake and VOILA!!

THe top 2 air vents just pop out too. I use a flathead to get my fingers under it on both sides and just pull.

There are two bolts on top if the radio.

Pull out the ashtray like RollinLS said. There will be two bolts under the climate control.

After removing those 4 bolts, popping out the airvents and ashtray, and disconnecting any wires, you should have everything removed.

As for the center console, yours is different from mine (being that yours is a 2001), but Ill explain how I removed mine just to give you a general Idea.

The top portion of the center console pops off, pull up on it from the front so you dont break the plastic clips in the back. Once removed you will see 2 small bolts in the front, 2 in the middle, and 4 more in the back after popping out the rear airvents. The console comes appart into 2 pieces. Pushed the handbrake cover down so it will pop out of the console and twist it to completely pull it out. Slip the console over the handbrake and VOILA!!

Thanks Bro! it worked, now how about the wood on the doors? i'm still Lost on that. . .

I think you need to take the doors off to get the wood popped out. Not sure though. From whay I remember they are not just clipped in. I think there are like permanent style fasteners holding the wood on securily. I have a 2003 by the way.

To get the door off there are screws hidden by a small cap where the door handle is, use a small screwdriver to pry it open. The rest of the screws should be visible in various places. Then there are like 5 or so heavy duty door clips holding the panel to the metal door. These need to be pryed apart with care. They should be reusable but it's easy to get new ones if needed.

I think you need to take the doors off to get the wood popped out. Not sure though. From whay I remember they are not just clipped in. I think there are like permanent style fasteners holding the wood on securily. I have a 2003 by the way.

To get the door off there are screws hidden by a small cap where the door handle is, use a small screwdriver to pry it open. The rest of the screws should be visible in various places. Then there are like 5 or so heavy duty door clips holding the panel to the metal door. These need to be pryed apart with care. They should be reusable but it's easy to get new ones if needed.

+1

There will be 7 screws on the door panel.3 on the bottom, and 1 one each side, then the two under the flap in the door change holder thingy that Freedom9er was speaking of.

Once that is removed just pull on the panel, there are plastic clips on the back end that can easily break so pull straight back, dont pull at an angle of any kind. Once that is done, unclip the plugs from the window controls on the panel and pull the panel off. Look at the back side of it, there should be either a few bolts holding on the wood trimming, or a wierd 3 prong wire thing. If its the bolts, just unscrew it, if its the 3 prong wire then use a pair of needle nose plyers and work each prong up until it pops off.

+1

There will be 7 screws on the door panel.3 on the bottom, and 1 one each side, then the two under the flap in the door change holder thingy that Freedom9er was speaking of.

Once that is removed just pull on the panel, there are plastic clips on the back end that can easily break so pull straight back, dont pull at an angle of any kind. Once that is done, unclip the plugs from the window controls on the panel and pull the panel off. Look at the back side of it, there should be either a few bolts holding on the wood trimming, or a wierd 3 prong wire thing. If its the bolts, just unscrew it, if its the 3 prong wire then use a pair of needle nose plyers and work each prong up until it pops off.

I thought there is one behind the door handle too.....no?

ah, yea! duh, lol I forgot that one. Good eye outcast;)

They are basically held on with plastic rivets. The back sides of the mounting studs for all of them were heat expanded and hold the panels in place. As for how to get them out... easy drill the mushroomed backs off. Getting them back on is where you get creative and the main reason I've not gotten into this to replace my base model black plastic door and dash beltline pieces with wood ones yet.

I have an '01 as well but i'm just trying to change out my gear selector light. Same procedure?

Members online

No members online now.
Back