Remote start

Like others have said, and I will say the same - a lot depends on the installer. The same installer has done both of my installs with all new components (he's actually a relative) and he soldered everything and did everything well. Only after I complained to him about how bad the Viper was did he divulge the information about Viper being a POS and recommend the Audiovox. I've had the Audiovox in for about a year and have had 0 issues. I can actually start my car from my desk, four floors off the ground floor and about 800 feet into the parking lot.

Ok I might stick with the viper and just have some really good experienced people deal with the installation, I not only want the remote start but I would like the window break monitor, tow monitor, and force field sensor that shows off people are too close to my car for more than 10 seconds. And I have a friend at best buy whose giving me a good deal at less than half for this $600 product with his employee discount. I'm not sure if the best buy geek squad does installations so I know that's where I might be passing some good money

A buddy of mine got his cobalt SS remote starter installed by best buy for around $300 - way too much if you ask me... I know every car is different depending on how many relays you need but relays cost less than $5 each.

I will say this about DEI products(viper) and ford cars

as far as remote starts, someone that does not a have a LOT of experience putting them into newer fords (roughly 98 and up) there are a couple of special things that needs to be considered or else you will have constant problems,

first, most remote start systems have a tach wire to monitor engine speed to control crank time. the two most common places to grab this are at the coil or fuel injector (always the wire that is not common) but with ford systems, you CAN NOT use a coil wire, if you do the system will shut down after 1-2 min, you are supposed to go to a fuel injector wire every time. (oddly chryslers are the exact opposite, ford=fuel and Chrysler=coil)

another issue if because viper also monitors engine speed and will shut down if it thinks the motor is revving too low or too high, becuase of the difference in engine speed on a cold start vs a warm motor is almost out of safe range. programming Tach is a little tricky, you need to warm the car up first, then shut it off and restart, then train but slightly revving it a tiny bit higher.

the is also a special way you need to hook up door triggers as to not get false alarms all the time. when the computer falls asleep there is a very high resistance to ground that "leaks" on the wire and the viper is just much more sensitive to voltage changes (basically the same reason LED lights glow dimly when the car is off)

I have installed tons of brands over the past decade and a half I've been doing this, and the only brand in have ever seen anywhere as close to as reliable is compustar. the best day of my life was when we stopped carrying black widow/audiovox systems, well actually their warranty work was still coming back defective. With directed systems, 98% of the time if there is a problem, its installer error.

I put this one on my 90 Mark 7 LSC. Viper 5904V works great.

20131114_201714.jpg

Strong mechanical comprehension and the ability to thoroughly analyze most of situations or problems we run across in our daily lives enriches us mentally and $$$$. I know I have done both. The analytical ability has paid me hundreds of thousands of $$$$$$. Mechanical/electronic/electrical comprehension helped tremendously.

Members online

No members online now.
Back