Remote start

Not sure if it a tread about this already but good ???? And speaking on the tread thing why not just have the site as ask as you go if you no of a tread about a topic and can get to it easy post a link up on a reply I'm not in charge of anything but just saying ?

Not sure if it a tread about this already but good ???? And speaking on the tread thing why not just have the site as ask as you go if you no of a tread about a topic and can get to it easy post a link up on a reply I'm not in charge of anything but just saying ?

wtf-did-i-just-read.jpg

Don't get what you're trying to say. I was just asking if somebody tried installing remote start on their LS? and if they knew of a certain product. I've searched and found nothing.

I speak gibberish, allow me to translate:

He is asking if there is a way for the website to scan your post before submitting to see if there is another active thread on the same subject. If there is no existing thread, it would then allow you to submit immediately. If there is an existing thread, it would provide a link to that thread, then allow you to decide to go to the existing thread or go ahead and post a new thread.

:D

Classic. Who needs g rells thread for a laugh when u got this gold here? Haha just kidding around. I have a remote start. Audiovox prestige. Works great. Opens the trunk remote starts locks unlocks. Etc.

I speak gibberish, allow me to translate:

He is asking if there is a way for the website to scan your post before submitting to see if there is another active thread on the same subject. If there is no existing thread, it would then allow you to submit immediately. If there is an existing thread, it would provide a link to that thread, then allow you to decide to go to the existing thread or go ahead and post a new thread.

:D

I think I see it now haha. It takes skills to understand that.

Heh heh heh... what can I say? Part of my duties in my former job was to convert Technospeak into Laymanese and back, so I know how to glean the diamonds from the defectation...

Gabby_Johnson.gif

so remote starts:

first off if you buy it from some place like amazon it wont be warrantied or come with installation. since you are asking this kind of question i can only assume that you dont have a whole lot of experience with installing remote start systems, so you will need to have it installed and you will want the place that does the install to also sell it to you so they can handle all warranty issues. the car is pretty complicated so you will want to make sure that the installer has experience with this car.

the Avital system will work, however you will also need a bypass for the PATS, I recommend the FL-Can by ADS, its as simple as plugging in a data harness into any Directed (Avital) or compustar brain (although if you go CS i would get a Blade bypass) and a simple three wire interface, one to one of the ignition wires at the brain and two into the Rx, Tx wires at the PATS harness. dont get one of the cheap universal bypasses that you stick a key into.

http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-Flas...&ie=UTF8&qid=1384914335&sr=1-2&keywords=flcan

right now Best Buy has that same system but under a viper brand name (better warranty) but with only one remote (an extra remote is only $25 or less) including a bypass and install for a little over $200 with a few extras your gonna need.

also do yourself a favor and get a system that supports keyless entry (technically that system does, but the remotes dont have the buttons) for instance, the Viper 4105 uses the exact same brain but also has two four button remotes so lock, unlock and trunk can all be on the same remote, then you just stop carrying around the OEM key fobs

I also really like compustar systems, and they are completely modular, you get a brain, the bypass is a Blade that slides into it, then you pick which remotes you want and what kinda range you want.

whats tricky about this car:

first off there will be a couple of extra relays needed to power extra ignition circuits that the main units brain does not have (a lot of shops will charge a little extra for this)

to disarm the factory alarm (separate form PATS) so that it doesn't get set off every time the car is started remotely, you need to run a wire into the drivers door to the DDM, this "disarm" wire, is also used to unlock the doors and roll the windows down, this is why I say to just get a system with lock and unlock since you have to do the exact same work, and if the system has extra channels you can set it up to roll the windows down AND up from the remotes without having to buy an extra expensive part.

if you have enough extra channels and would like to have it pop the gas door open, you will need an extra relay.

if the system can be wired up to a Normally closed hood pin, you can use the OEM hood pin but you will need a diode to isolate it from the cars computer.

I'm glad someone put this up..I was definitely looking into "viper" this friday , just installed double din radio n speakers so my girl needs serious protection(especially since I have no tint what so ever)

I had a viper and hated it. Got rid of it after less than a year. Complete POS in my opinion. The range? Awful. Battery life? Awful. Several times I'd hit the start button and it wouldn't send the two way signal back or acknowledge it was started, or it would say it was started and it wasn't. Also it seemed after a while of using the remote, the range actually got worse and worse. The same guy installed my Audiovox so I know it wasn't the install. (I've had zero problems with the audiovox).

Maybe my experience is different or maybe I got a bum module, but it literally couldn't have been worse. I spoke to a couple people at local audio/remote starter install places and they said to never use viper products - more of a brand recognition thing and the quality is actually awful.

Those are just peoples opinions and this is just mine: stay away from viper stuff.

so remote starts:

first off if you buy it from some place like amazon it wont be warrantied or come with installation. since you are asking this kind of question i can only assume that you dont have a whole lot of experience with installing remote start systems, so you will need to have it installed and you will want the place that does the install to also sell it to you so they can handle all warranty issues. the car is pretty complicated so you will want to make sure that the installer has experience with this car.

the Avital system will work, however you will also need a bypass for the PATS, I recommend the FL-Can by ADS, its as simple as plugging in a data harness into any Directed (Avital) or compustar brain (although if you go CS i would get a Blade bypass) and a simple three wire interface, one to one of the ignition wires at the brain and two into the Rx, Tx wires at the PATS harness. dont get one of the cheap universal bypasses that you stick a key into.

http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-Flas...&ie=UTF8&qid=1384914335&sr=1-2&keywords=flcan

right now Best Buy has that same system but under a viper brand name (better warranty) but with only one remote (an extra remote is only $25 or less) including a bypass and install for a little over $200 with a few extras your gonna need.

also do yourself a favor and get a system that supports keyless entry (technically that system does, but the remotes dont have the buttons) for instance, the Viper 4105 uses the exact same brain but also has two four button remotes so lock, unlock and trunk can all be on the same remote, then you just stop carrying around the OEM key fobs

I also really like compustar systems, and they are completely modular, you get a brain, the bypass is a Blade that slides into it, then you pick which remotes you want and what kinda range you want.

whats tricky about this car:

first off there will be a couple of extra relays needed to power extra ignition circuits that the main units brain does not have (a lot of shops will charge a little extra for this)

to disarm the factory alarm (separate form PATS) so that it doesn't get set off every time the car is started remotely, you need to run a wire into the drivers door to the DDM, this "disarm" wire, is also used to unlock the doors and roll the windows down, this is why I say to just get a system with lock and unlock since you have to do the exact same work, and if the system has extra channels you can set it up to roll the windows down AND up from the remotes without having to buy an extra expensive part.

if you have enough extra channels and would like to have it pop the gas door open, you will need an extra relay.

if the system can be wired up to a Normally closed hood pin, you can use the OEM hood pin but you will need a diode to isolate it from the cars computer.

Thanks 1LoudLS, I thought this thread will be off topic because somebody is trolling around.
Looks like I have to deal with PATS bypass module, not sure if having just 1 key will work to program it. I have inquired autotoys.com about their stuff and waiting for the reply back. I'm keeping things on a budget so it's a DIY job, I've worked with remote keyless before so it's not something new to me but the PATS bypass module.

Remote start is really nice especially during winter and sometimes in the summer.

... not sure if having just 1 key will work to program it. ....

It won't without the use of a good scan tool. This would be a good time for you to get two more keys and have them added too.

I had a viper and hated it. Got rid of it after less than a year. Complete POS in my opinion. The range? Awful. Battery life? Awful. Several times I'd hit the start button and it wouldn't send the two way signal back or acknowledge it was started, or it would say it was started and it wasn't. Also it seemed after a while of using the remote, the range actually got worse and worse. The same guy installed my Audiovox so I know it wasn't the install. (I've had zero problems with the audiovox).

Maybe my experience is different or maybe I got a bum module, but it literally couldn't have been worse. I spoke to a couple people at local audio/remote starter install places and they said to never use viper products - more of a brand recognition thing and the quality is actually awful.

Those are just peoples opinions and this is just mine: stay away from viper stuff.

Thanks for the advice, but what do you recommend just incase I decide to go with a second option. My cousin has viper on his monte carlo.n he's had it for a couple years with minimum to no issues so its possible you had a bad product, but if you say others feel the same way as you do, I would like to know an alternative just to be on the safe side, but then again every mod is a risk these days especially for older cars like mine.

Unfortunately, I really can't provide you with any recommendations as all I've ever used/tried are the Viper and the Audiovox. I've had no issues with the Audiovox at all, but maybe others have? I've heard crime-stoppers is a cheap, good remote start.

I've never had a real problem with Viper stuff either, but what I have had problems with is installation. The installer you select is far more important than the brand name you pick, because a crappy system installed by a professional is going to operate better and more problem-free than a top of the line system installed by an idiot. They are pretty complicated pieces of electronic gear that must operate reliably with multiple systems within the car, based on multiple automotive platforms. If not properly installed, they will eventually start having issues. A crappy install (like I once experienced) had the installer wire tying components wherever he could get them to hang and wired in by cutting the car's wires and using electrical tape to splice the alarm wiring in. The correct way is to positively locate the components where they are protected from both water and vibration with the wiring soldered in and sealed with heat shrink tubing, and correctly supporting the wiring to keep stress off the soldered connections. Range of the key transmitters is directly affected by whether the installer correctly installs the antenna wiring per the directions or just wads the antenna wiring into a ball behind the dash.

Somebody tried installing remote start on LS?

Was looking at this product but not sure how it works with the PATS bypass.
http://www.amazon.com/AVITAL-4113L-Remote-Start-System/dp/B001JT57NG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It's $150 to have a name brand remote start installed here professionally. I'd check your local shops because thats worth the warranty and piece of mind for the extra $100.

Same thing with me, my viper sucked and I actually had good luck with a Skytek (my spelling is probably off) remote start alarm....I was shocked.

There was a old song that went "because I was high, because I was high"

Seriously what's that have to do with anything related to this topic? You're a troll, go hide back under your bridge. I know I'm not the only one who feels that way either

It's $150 to have a name brand remote start installed here professionally. I'd check your local shops because thats worth the warranty and piece of mind for the extra $100.

Same thing with me, my viper sucked and I actually had good luck with a Skytek (my spelling is probably off) remote start alarm....I was shocked.

Seriously what's that have to do with anything related to this topic? You're a troll, go hide back under your bridge. I know I'm not the only one who feels that way either

Im assuming viper alarms don't work well with the ls. Because my cousin has it,n my dad has it on his vehicles n I use to drive one to school all the time(I loved showing it off lol) but ill look around for other brands you guys listed and see .

Members online

No members online now.
Back