Recoating the steering wheel?

kevinspann

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here has recoated the leather on the steering wheel. Im looking at a Mark that the coating has started to come off of, but otherwise the leather is just fine. Its a light graphite interior, so the dark places where its come off are obvious. I would think that the wheel could be taken off, sanded, prepped, then painted with a few coats.

If anyone has done this, what products did you use?

Might be better off just getting another cheap used one. From what I have seen what you describe it not too common. I wonder if they used chemicals to clean it?

Might be better off just getting another cheap used one. From what I have seen what you describe it not too common. I wonder if they used chemicals to clean it?

Probably so. Its not confined to one spot on the wheel, as it would be if someone drove it one handed the whole time. A used one would be better, i think as well.

jamie97lsc probably has the color and year on hand you need.

when i did my swap from mocha interior to black in my 93 i reused the mocha steering wheel, sanded it with 320 got it nice and smooth and then put a few coats of semi gloss black vinyl dye in a can from autozone, holding up superb!!!

old color:
thenewmark045.jpg

after spraying it with dye:
interiorswap083.jpg

interiorswap128.jpg

it looks much blacker than the rest of the interior, but once i was done with the swap i hit everything with a magic eraser and the conditioned the seats and armorall'd the rest and it looks fine.

Maybe I missed something here?

I'm interested in a new leather wrap on the steering wheel.

It seems all these factory leather wraps are good for 8 to 10yrs and then the leather starts shredding, especially at 12:00 on the wheel.

My '94 F-150 needs one too.

uholstery shop will recover it for you.. dont know what they charge but you could get some great quality leather for it...

Neither of my quotes were less than 550.00, but I got quotes for painted wood installed, in locations similar to the CE steering wheel .. so that I would never have the problem again.

uholstery shop will recover it for you.. dont know what they charge but you could get some great quality leather for it...

Actually none of the upolestry shops in Pensacola,Fl. want to even touch them.

It must be to time consuming for the money?

I have found a lady that said she would do it. The idea is to buy those Wheel Skins
http://www.wheelskins.com/index.php
and give that to her. She then wants the wheel removed from the car and several days to complete it.

She owns 'Ye Old leather Shop in town.

She was very picky about doing it, as she had been jacked around before doing this.

I'm trying to remember how much she said to do it? $160 comes to mind.

i wrapped mine up with a wheelskin, it's been about 2 years, and it's awesome so far.

Members online

No members online now.
Back