Received an LS for free, problems appearing left and right.

peacemak3r

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, I received a 2000 Lincoln LS V8 for free from a friend. I actually like the car very much and has heard how problematic the Gen I's can be. Considering that the car is 11 years old, I don't think it makes sense to sell it off and the fact that he gave it to me for free, seems like an early birthday present? So I'm contemplating on keeping it.

There are a couple of problems with it, besides a misfire on the 8th cylinder and in need of a new starter. I have a slight moon roof situation on hand. I did a search and I also realized I had that closing by an inch problem and tried that 12 step method but it didn't work. It continued to do the same problem, but now I have another problem on top of that. It won't close all the way now.

I guess showing a picture would explain what I can't really explain in more detail.

18823910150331740250786.jpg

Now I already know that's going to leak, luckily for me it's not leaking that bad. (Knocks on wood.)

Can anyone explain to me what's happening? I'm guessing it fell off a railing or something.

Cyl Number 8 misfire could be as simple as a Coil Pack ( Most common ) to a Spark plug..

OR as complicated as it jumped time. Most likley a Coil pack.

As for sunroof.. My sport model didnt come with one so couldnt help you.

agreed on the misfire most likely being a bad coil (coil packs handle more than one cylinder, the LS has a single coil for every cylinder)

as far as the sunroof, its probably either off the track a little or there is a broke piece in there, sunroof problems are not too common for the LS so its hard to say with out taking it apart and checking it out

Thanks for the replies, I was figuring that with the misfire problem, I'll probably check that out in time.

Considering that I live in the east-coast, I'm most concerned on the sunroof. Is there a guide here on taking that apart because I don't think I had a manual along with the car.

^ i can say that i found this out he hard way, dont wait too long

I don't think I had a manual along with the car.

fist the owners manual wouldnt tell you anything about the sunroof other than how to open and close it.

however you can view or print one off a manual from the tech articles found at the top of the page.

Fix the coil issue replace both the spark plug and the coil at the same time. Second you will need to pull down the lining to check it out so you can see the if you have a broken part or something else that's stopping it. If you dint want to do it yourself go to a autoglass place they are used to installing moonroof so they can take it off and put it back on again really easy and also find what the issue is. Also how many miles does this new free gift have and take some full pics of it and welcome to lvc.

Till you can fix the sr use some of that blue 3m tape to help seal it.

My mark's sunroof did something similiar. There was a thin metal bar that came loose (stereo) that preveted mine fom closing correctly. The bar was at the back of the opening and was flapping around and making noise. All i had to do for mine was to put it back in place and tighten the screw back down..Lightly hit the headliner and see if you can hear any noises to help pinpoint a specific location if anythings broken in there... Not a ls but hope it can help you in one way or another.

Where in the east coast your at.

I'm in the Brooklyn area.

@All ;; Thanks for the replies, I guess I have to find a day to rip apart the moon roof. Of course I'll get to the misfire problem and I have a starter problem as well.

And of course it rained today, ugh.

Good luck sir. Try your best to fix your problems as they arise so they don't get worse and you can enjoy your car.

Members online

No members online now.
Back