Recall on the 2004 LS Transmission.. Anyone else curious?

GWL said:
They open a small plug on the drain plug and force the additive up into the Trans. with a special tool, while artfully trying to avoid hot fluid from running down their arm. Interesting to watch.:Bang Actually my mechanic did not use the pressure can recommended by Ford. So the hot fluid dripping down the arm was a consequence of his method. Faster but more messy.

:L

I took my LS in yesterday for some misc warranty stuff, after calling the service writer a few times he finally calls me back to tell me that they ordered the wrong parts the first time around and there is a recall on the transmission they are going to do... ok great.

I go back that evening to pick up my car (this dealer has the crappiest loaner cars ever so I insist on my car everyday whether they are done with it or not) sign the paperwork and head back to work, being in a hurry I just tossed the paperwork on the passenger seat and hauled balls out of there. When I took the first hard turn something heavy went rolling off of my passenger seat...

MVC-883F.JPG

slagburn said:
I took my LS in yesterday for some misc warranty stuff, after calling the service writer a few times he finally calls me back to tell me that they ordered the wrong parts the first time around and there is a recall on the transmission they are going to do... ok great.

I go back that evening to pick up my car (this dealer has the crappiest loaner cars ever so I insist on my car everyday whether they are done with it or not) sign the paperwork and head back to work, being in a hurry I just tossed the paperwork on the passenger seat and hauled balls out of there. When I took the first hard turn something heavy went rolling off of my passenger seat...

I called the guy back and he insisted that they really did put the additive in my transmission like the paperwork says and that the tech probably left that on the seat by accident and since he does so many of them it was for his next job. :slam When they finally get done with the simple stuff they have to fix I'm finding another dealer to take my car to, these guys are way too busy to be able to do a quality job.

SST issues

My 2004 LS 8 went into the "E" mode at 16 miles on the odometer. They reflashed the trans, and everything seemed good.

Then, I got the additive recall letter. They added the additive. It did seem to smooth out the SST third to second shift; otherwise, I felt no difference.

Now, this just recently happened (and, it also happened to my 2003 TBird);

In the SST mode, the trans would not select 3rd gear.

On the upshift, 1-2 was OK, but could not go higher than 2nd.

On the downshift, 5-4 OK, 4-3 resulted in the car dropping into 2nd.

However, on both cars, shutting the car off and restarting it brought everything back to normal.

At about 7,000 miles, my TBird got the "E" message. Dealer replaced a part and reflashed the trans.

These transmissions have me very concerned because I intend to keep both cars until they (or I) die.

Anyone else have the SST problem?

I had my used 2004 LS in last month for the harsh shifting. I bought it about mid March 2005. When I called the Lincoln customer support line for some other info, they informed me that there was a satisfaction recall and that I should call within 2 weeks. So don't know if that meant the recall ended in two weeks or that the clock started once I was informed.

Anyway, Took it in for the recall last month. The dealer did the easy stuff and additive but it still bang shifted. They dropped the tranny and inspected and found evidence of overheating and some damage so they tore it down and did what I think was a minor overhaul. All covered under warranty including rental. The car shifts much better now, but I am worried that the tranny needed significant work with only 15,000 on the clock. What happens when the clock hits say 60K and the warranty is gone? I expect average trannys to last for 100K miles, so 15K is a bit short of that expectation. Hope they got it fixed permanently.

If your tranny is shifting harshly everyonce in awhile or seems to juggle between two gears, you really need to have this looked at and get the recall work done soon. My experience and reading about trannys that acted this way meant you were soon going to have a rebuild coming up.

I am guessing that this is still a customer satisfaction recall but now you may need to ask for it. Worst they can say is no.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

The harsh shifting just showed on my 2004 LS V8. Seems to really only occur (and not all the time though) when shifting from 3 to 4th and 4th to 3rd. Reverse is jerky sometimes also. 20k miles.

I just got my 04 back... The dealer found harsh 1-2, 2-3 and harsh reverse engagement they said the fluid was clean and replaced the Solenoid assembly and some sort of lever thingie... 40ft out of the service gate it went into Check Transmission and E due to some wiring being left loose inside the trans, supposedly the trans tech got a talking to but who knows.

So far the shifting is great.

slagburn said:
Mine hasn't had the harsh reverse engagement problem (yet) but it damn near put me into a wall the other day with a delayed forward engagement, I was already on the gas when it finally dropped into gear... what a wake up!!! Of course it only happend once and didn't toss any codes so I'm SOL with having the shop do anything about it.

I've have the both problems with my '03, the wife thinks i do it on purpose right when shes taking a drink. After 20k miles later i told the dealer about, he said they would take a look at it at the next service maintenance. 3 days after i got it back bam, "check tranny" light came on. They are looking at the valve body right now so we'll see if it fixes the delayed shifting problem....

dc

Got a call from the dealer today, they said they were told by Ford to replace the entire valve body, not just a solenoid or anything but replace it completely with a new one. Cool.......i hope....

dc

I put a few hundred miles on mine this week after they replaced the soleniods and so far no harsh engagements however the transmission seems unsure of what do to when going through low speed traffic... kind of jerky like driving a trunk with a manual trans.

For now I just lock it in 3rd when I hit traffic.

Lemon Law Time for LS Tranny

mak_nyc said:
Does anyone else have a 2004 LS transmission problem? How interesting that they are having a recall when there has been many complaints by me and others with this problem. The recall just occured this weekend. Everyone knows that recalls are usually known by the company FORD for months.... According to the dealer there are no codes.... Thoughts?????
:mad:

I am preparing a letter to Ford because of my Tranny problems. I brought the car in day one and was told the car is fine. It's been in 5 times and still acts up. I'm asking for a replacement car or full refund based on NYS Lemon Law. I'm sick of visiting the dealer. Love MY LS, but $40G's for luxury that ain't there sucks.

:mad: Can anyone email me copies of their service tickets to support my claim?

Members online

Back