Recall on the 2004 LS Transmission.. Anyone else curious?

mak_nyc

LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have a 2004 LS transmission problem? How interesting that they are having a recall when there has been many complaints by me and others with this problem. The recall just occured this weekend. Everyone knows that recalls are usually known by the company FORD for months.... According to the dealer there are no codes.... Thoughts?????

The recall number is 04B22. Transmission numbers 5R55S, 5R55E, 5R44E
Problem stated:
Your vehicle was filled at the assembly plant with transmission fluid formulation that over time it causes delay and/ harsh reburse engagement.

mak_nyc said:
The recall number is 04B22. Transmission numbers 5R55S, 5R55E, 5R44E
Problem stated:
Your vehicle was filled at the assembly plant with transmission fluid formulation that over time it causes delay and/ harsh reburse engagement.
How or where do I check for which of these transmissions is in my vehicle?

George:L

Pete 2004 LS V-6 said:
Where can I get info. on this recall? I have a 2004 V-6 with 3000 miles on it and have not had any problems yet.

www.ford.com
They should have the info on there... I found out b.c I called the customer service number. If you are not having a problem, I wouldn;t think you have the recall on your transmission.

mak_nyc said:
www.ford.com
They should have the info on there... I found out b.c I called the customer service number. If you are not having a problem, I wouldn;t think you have the recall on your transmission.

Thanks, hope I don't need it. The problem may not show up until I have more miles are on the car.

Mine hasn't had the harsh reverse engagement problem (yet) but it damn near put me into a wall the other day with a delayed forward engagement, I was already on the gas when it finally dropped into gear... what a wake up!!! Of course it only happend once and didn't toss any codes so I'm SOL with having the shop do anything about it.

transmission fluid campaign

eL eS said:
they need to look at the 5r55n. man what is up with that.
Took mine in today and the dealer checked the VIN # and did the additive thing while I waited. According to the mechanic, my LSE has the 5R44W transmission, not listed on the recall but still listed on the VIN list to apply the recall. Mechanic said it was his understanding that all 2004 & 2005 are included in a previous campaign that applied to the 2000-01's. Still limited to end on March 05, 2005.
:L

I found out that this recall was not posted through the NHTSA. It was independetly recalled by Ford. Obviously they are having problems with this specific problem. Who ever else is having problems can call in to the NHTSA, the people that issue/investigate recalls, and document the problem with them. Once there are enouph people calling they can investigate the issue.
THere number is 1.888.327.4236
As far as having this problem with my transmission, I am not only having problems with the reversing jerking on me but also the foward driving mode.

slagburn said:
Mine hasn't had the harsh reverse engagement problem (yet) but it damn near put me into a wall the other day with a delayed forward engagement, I was already on the gas when it finally dropped into gear... what a wake up!!! Of course it only happend once and didn't toss any codes so I'm SOL with having the shop do anything about it.

What kind of LS do you have? 2004 V8 or V6?

Pete 2004 LS V-6 said:
What do you mean "still limited to end March 5, 05"? Are they just adding an additived?
Yes, that is all they are doing. According to the Dealer, this campaign ends March 05, 05. I am not sure this qualifies as a recall. I think they call it a "Customer Service/Satisfaction Campaign".

:Beer :L

Okay... so for us stupid people... does that mean we can get additive or whatever for our 2000 models?

Transmission letter

I got my letter today. The letter is a "Customer Satisfaction Program" it is Program number 04b22. Will end March 31, 05 regardless of mileage. It is for all 2004s and some 2005s with the 5R55S, 5R55E or 5R44E Transmissions. It is to correct the "delayed/harsh reverse engagements. The dealer will install a bottle of 5R55S/E & 5R44E Additive. With no dip stick how are they going to get it in the transmission?

I found out today that this fluid is only supposed to help people that cars did not have the problem yet.. try to neutralize it. Funny.. they say they aren't having problems.. but they want to neutralize the fluid?

mak_nyc said:
Funny.. they say they aren't having problems.. but they want to neutralize the fluid?

There is no problem because there is no OBD code right? j/k :)

Seems if there is no code it does not exists.

Pete 2004 LS V-6 said:
I got my letter today. The letter is a "Customer Satisfaction Program" it is Program number 04b22. Will end March 31, 05 regardless of mileage. It is for all 2004s and some 2005s with the 5R55S, 5R55E or 5R44E Transmissions. It is to correct the "delayed/harsh reverse engagements. The dealer will install a bottle of 5R55S/E & 5R44E Additive. With no dip stick how are they going to get it in the transmission?

They open a small plug on the drain plug and force the additive up into the Trans. with a special tool, while artfully trying to avoid hot fluid from running down their arm. Interesting to watch.:Bang Actually my mechanic did not use the pressure can recommended by Ford. So the hot fluid dripping down the arm was a consequence of his method. Faster but more messy.

:L

mak_nyc said:
I found out that this recall was not posted through the NHTSA. It was independetly recalled by Ford. Obviously they are having problems with this specific problem. Who ever else is having problems can call in to the NHTSA, the people that issue/investigate recalls, and document the problem with them. Once there are enouph people calling they can investigate the issue.
THere number is 1.888.327.4236
As far as having this problem with my transmission, I am not only having problems with the reversing jerking on me but also the foward driving mode.

online Complaint form for NHTSA

New Info on problem

Problem not fixed yet but happy that this new dealership has a clue. They are thinking that the tranny problem that my 2004 V8 LS is having is a cervo band issue not the solonoid pack but he said that that has occured in these cars also... Cross the fingers!!!!! I want a car that is fixed. This dealership did not care about the codes they felt the problem and wanted to fix it. What a fresh feeling!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back