Rebuilding a V6 which has 200K miles

It's IN! :):)

Here's two after it made it into place. As my helper manned the hoist I was under the car. We had a strap tied to the transmission output shaft which I tugged on real hard to get the tranny through the hood opening. Whole shebang was tilted as close to 30 degrees or so as we could get so trans would fit. Engine then just dropped into place inch by inch. Whew!

View attachment 828568672 View attachment 828568673
I've completed connections etc. Power steering high pressure hose was a b____, I had to remove the pump from the engine to get the connector started and tightened, and access to starter a bit of a prob but all else pretty easy. Exhaust system goes on today and PS and Hyd fan reservoirs too I hope. Then radiator and fan and then fluids and turn the key. Here's hoping it starts right up.

Perhaps last post about this. After many months and many parts bought, some new, some from piknpull and some gifted from friends here on this list. Too much time and money, my LS V6 is back in my 2001 Autumn red Getrag car and RUNNING smoothly. Many suspension parts replaced as well. Oh and new Stance shocks now aboard. Will soon have to get a new set of tires. I could have bought a nice 2006 V8 with all the money I spent! :( But then I wouldn't have learned so much and had such fun doing this job. Frustration too of course.
IMG_1808.JPG

Lessons learned: the Gen 1 V6 is probably the least supported version of the LS. There are parts like the fuel pressure sensor that are NOT available for this engine but are for all others. A complete chain and guides rebuild kit is not available for this car at all. The ones that say they are, are actually for another version of the Ford 3.0L.
Biggest lesson: don't try to rebuild an engine that has been abandoned by the OEM.

Good luck with the break-in, George! Did you lose your dress-up cover? :) Engine looks great! Good thing fuel doesn't stain! ;)

Good luck with the break-in, George! Did you lose your dress-up cover? :) Engine looks great! Good thing fuel doesn't stain! ;)

:) No I've got the cover - all of em in fact. Just have a few more things to do like take off that fuel pressure gauge, put thenut on the hard to reach upper control arm bolt over by the degas bottle and torque the 4 bolts for the upper CAs, bleed the cooling system, install the headlights, ...

Hey George, I could not post a photo as a private message, but this is what my fuel rail looks like with the sensor removed.

Screenshot_20180402-215012.png

Love this thread, amazing work saving the V6. Thank you for beautiful pictures and info.

Members online

No members online now.
Back