Rearend Gears Being Changed

MARKED MAN

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
anyone know the average cost of having the rearend gears changed on a mark 7. just got a set of 3.55 gears and dont know how to install them mysel

good question, since I want to change mine as well - hopefully somone can give some input.

NYC thanks for the excellant tech article I just ordered a set of 3:73 from Summit. I raced for the first time yesterday and wasn't happy with my ET's.
I'm going to do the swap at my employer's shop with the help of a heavy duty truck tech. That article will be most helpful. Good luck with yours MARKED MAN! I'll let you know how I make out. :L :Beer

Oh, does gears

markvii91 said:
NYC thanks for the excellant tech article I just ordered a set of 3:73 from Summit. I raced for the first time yesterday and wasn't happy with my ET's.
I'm going to do the swap at my employer's shop with the help of a heavy duty truck tech. That article will be most helpful. Good luck with yours MARKED MAN! I'll let you know how I make out. :L :Beer

Roush, who did my GT-40 & T-5 work, originally put the 3.73 gears in. The driveline vibration was pretty severe so we went back to 3.55. There's still a vibrattion in the 78-83 MPH slot but its less severe. A new, large OD prop shaft didn't seem to make much difference, but a grank shaft damper change helped a bit. Yesterday I'm looking under the car when it was on the rack getting a couple of new tires, and I notice a big hunk of metal hanging by one stud, right underneath the diff. Turns out its called a "differential damper". It's supposed to straddle the third member and damp out driveline vibrations. I must have hit a boulder or something and ripped half of it out. My friendly Lincoln dealer says a dealer-only supplier, "Vintage Parts" has them and it'll cost me around $120. Is it worth it? Ford says it's obsolete. I don't see it on the above photos. Hmmmm.

Members online

No members online now.
Back