Rear Window Regulator how-to

rainjacks

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of replacing the first of two rear window regulators this past weekend. The front regulator thread was such a help before that I decided to detail the process on the rear. I obtained a used rear regulator from a local parts place. They have a few picked over LSs there but some stuff is still available. If anyone needs parts let me know and I'll get you their name.

First, remove the 5 screws pointed out by the arrows.
door.jpg

Next, the fun of yanking off the door panel. Face it, there is no good way to do it. just grab a corner and start pulling. You will have to unplug one connector for the window button once the panel is loose

Once that is done carefully pull off the grey sound stuff. set it someplace sticky side up so you can reuse it.
sound.jpg

Now you are in the door, remove the 4 bolts holding on the mounting plate and the three nuts that hold on the window regulator.
internal.jpg

Now you can drop the mounting plate down into the door a little and pull the top forward. The regulator will stay connected to the window.
mountbracket.jpg

Looking at my regulator I saw the cable got wound around the white pulley causing the issue. I did have some broken plastic pieces as well.
pulley.jpg

I disconnected the regulator from what I am calling the window clip and removed it. You have to unplug the motor connector.
windowclip.jpg

Here is the old regulator
oldbusted.jpg

and the new
newhotness.jpg

those with eagle eyes will see the JB Weld I put on the new window clip to give it a little more strength. I have no idea if it will help, but it made me feel better.

I removed the old window clip mostly by brute force. It is a little tricky and of course, be careful not to break the window.
windowclip.jpg

Here's the window with it off.
window.jpg

Next I mounted the new regulator to the mounting plate. Leaving the window pushed up all the way.
newreg.jpg

I then put the mounting plate back in place and reattached it to the door. Once that was done and solid I carefully pushed the window down so that it would lock into the window clip. I reconnected the door panel switch so that I could test everything. Once I knew it worked I just reassembled and it has been working great since. Final step, enjoy a frosty beer in the hammock, you earned it. :cool:

Excellent! Thank you sir.

I'm sure this will come in handy to many of us :)

Good write up. If I read it correctly you did not take the white piece out of the window? I tried it that way and ended up taking it out. A small screwdriver and rubber mallet work great for that.

Good write up!

this reminds me I need to go find 4 more replacement windows with the clip still on them so when I get a fix-it ticket for the tint I can just switch to the untinted glass, get the ticket voided, then switch back

xD

Good write up. If I read it correctly you did not take the white piece out of the window? I tried it that way and ended up taking it out. A small screwdriver and rubber mallet work great for that.

Correct, I left the white piece in. To be honest, I tried to take it out but failed. I got to the point where I was afraid forcing any harder would risk a crack in the window. I'm sure I just wasn't doing it right.

Good write up!

Thanks, I try to add some helpful information to the forum in between screwing around over stupid stuff.

Members online

Back