Rear View Mirror

Travis2000LS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So.. My Rear view mirrors auto dimming stuff started to bleed out a couple months ago.. So I figured id go and get a new one. SO I went to my local junk yard and picked one out of a 03' V6 for 20$

My problem is I have the 3 prong connector with 3 wires to one that doesnt have compass and What looks like temp on the new one.

The new one i went ahead and snipped its connector and about 5 inches of wiring along with it. It has 5 Wires going into the 7 prong connector.

Well my GF's 02' LS with Compass has a 7 prong connector looks exactly the same mirror as the new one i grabbed. only difference i can physically tell is that Mine out of the 03' has 5 wires and hers 3.

Is this because the one out of the 03' V6 has Temp reading and hers dont?

If possible could anyone tell me how i could in a way retro-fit the mirror?

Anyone find any wiring diagrams on these things just yet?

Thanks!

There's no temperature read out function on any of the LS mirrors.

The difference is that some of the mirrors also drive the dimming function on the driver's side mirror, if you have that feature.

I don't have the wiring diagrams handy, but I'll try to remember to check them tonight. You only need two connections, but three are ideal.

You need a ground connection.
You need a switched power connection.
It's good to have a reverse gear connection (sets the mirror to no dim while you are backing up).

The other wires don't have to be connected.

ok thanks joegr. Ill take a pic of the mirror. like i said mine in my 00' Sport has no compas just a button on the bottom that you click that never seemed to work..

The new one out of the 03' has the compas. when you look at the compas readout you can see a oF and a oC (Degrees Fahrenheit Degrees Celsius) at the top right. Why is this?

ok thanks joegr. Ill take a pic of the mirror. like i said mine in my 00' Sport has no compas just a button on the bottom that you click that never seemed to work..

The new one out of the 03' has the compas. when you look at the compas readout you can see a oF and a oC (Degrees Fahrenheit Degrees Celsius) at the top right. Why is this?

The company that makes these mirrors (they make them for several car makes) also makes versions that do have exterior temperature readouts. It's cheaper to use the same display (with all the indicators) in all the mirrors than it would be to use a different display in each one.
They even make a version that has the autolamp feature built-in the mirror, instead on the dash.

That makes sense.. just like older F150's 2wd had the 4x4 light spot in the speedo unit even though there was no 4x4.. gotcha.

Alright. now since this came out of a 2nd gen. Should I on the time of replacment just beable to hook up my 3 wires to the necessary spots on the 7 prong connector and everything work as needed??

I mean what are the extra 2 wires for on the new 2nd gen mirror? And will the compass work?

oh alrighty. Now what about those 2 extra wires partner. I appreciate all your time and help joegr

oh and the compass module seems to be on the foot of the mirror ( where the mirror glues or mounts to the windsheild) So i dont think there will be any conflict in mounting. just wiring

oh alrighty. Now what about those 2 extra wires partner. I appreciate all your time and help joegr

The seven-pin mirrors:

1 - Yellow/blue - switched +12V power
2 - black/orange - ground
3 - white/blue - reverse
4 - yellow/blue - EC+ to driver's mirror (just leave it unconnected)
5 - brown/blue - EC- to driver's mirror (just leave it unconnected)

The sixteen-pin mirrors:

3 - white/blue - reverse
8 - brown/blue - EC- to driver's mirror
9 - white/red - Mic+ to THX nav
10 - brown/red - Mic- to THX nav
11 - bare wire - shield for microphone wires
12 - yellow/blue - EC+ to driver's mirror
13 - Yellow/blue - switched +12V power

The seven-pin mirrors:

1 - Yellow/blue - switched +12V power
3 - white/blue - reverse
4 - yellow/blue - EC+ to driver's mirror (just leave it unconnected)
5 - brown/blue - EC- to driver's mirror (just leave it unconnected)

The sixteen-pin mirrors:

3 - white/blue - reverse
8 - brown/blue - EC- to driver's mirror
9 - white/red - Mic+ to THX nav
10 - brown/red - Mic- to THX nav
11 - bare wire - shield for microphone wires
12 - yellow/blue - EC+ to driver's mirror
13 - Yellow/blue - switched +12V power

You are such a life saver thank you so much joe!!

Ahhh... I always wondered why it looks like there is full digit and degrees indicators in my compass. Nice.

Members online

Back