Rear tire is shredding.

JES_LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Its alarming how fast this tire is giving out.

It all started last night. I'm cruising across the bridge with my two sons in the back and all of a sudden this fwap-fwap slapping noise starts at the back of the car. I nudged the cruise off and started to coast down from the top of the bridge, but before I can get to the bottom, its an almost constant drumming sound.

I stopped the car and to my horror I see that the inner most 'rib' of tread on the drivers side tire is mostly wrapped around the rear upright and the last little bit is twisting and slapping against the tire.
I cut the last wisps of rubber free of the tire and unwound the tread strip.
It has separated almost to the cords and I can see something started the whole tear with a angled cut into the tread.

Now this morning my wife forgot that I told her about the tire and to take the pathfinder (or she just ignored me since she hates the pathfinder now) and drove it all of a mile and half to work.
Now she just called to tell me that the next rib has seperated and is trying to fold back over the adjacent tread blocks.

I'm not surprised that this is happening, but it seems to be deteriorating awfully quickly.

Oh by the way, I have new michelins on the way as I type this. So it is not the end of the world.

Well I got the new tires today so its all good again.
I did keep the oem michelin that was damaged to show to a friend in the tire business. Should be interesting to see what he and his people can tell me about what happened to it.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get a chance to take them

No the car is not lowered. I did notice the other rear tire had some camber wear but nothing excessive. Infact all the tires on the car looked like they had another 15-18K miles on them.

There is definitely a cut across the inner half of the tread face, but only half of the innermost tread block started to peel away. I did notice some of the belting is nicked, but I did not see any unwinding of the cords.

Members online

Back