Rear sub fram mounts/bushings

BigM555

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm new here and I've found lots of information about the underside of the LS. I was going to bump an older thread regarding the sub frame mounts but as I tried to decide which old thread to bump I couldn't quite decide which one would be most relevant. :-(

So my wife has a 2004 LS and my mechanic handed me a piece of the rear sub frame mount/bushing the other day and said he hasn't been able to find a replacement. After poking around here and other places it seems it is well known that Ford/Lincoln doesn't offer a replacement bushing and in fact now I'm told they no longer have the full sub frame either (not that I wanted to spend $2000 on a bushing).

Knowing that the LS is built on the DEW98 platform I started looking for Jaguar replacements. My mechanic tells me it is the driver side front mount of the rear sub frame. Could anyone confirm that this link would be the correct part? The local Jag dealer says they can order and have in stock pretty quickly for about $80 CDN.

Part#: XR818140

If this is not correct has anyone found the right Jag replacement? I've searched for hours and this is the best I've come up with.

Thanks!
BigM555

If anyone could make solid bushings for this car, I will send you a naked picture of my wife. I'm sure I could get them made, but I'm too busy/lazy.
Sorry for the thread jack; I don't know a definitive answer to your question.
ps- if you order either of those options, could you send over the dimensions?

Wow, excellent research. Visually it looks near identical. Can they order and have you check dimensions before paying for it?

Where in Ontario are you, by the way? I am in just north of the GTA.

Thanks for the replies. Really hoped I'd get something more definitive but considering the lineage on this issue it is what it is.

Wow, excellent research. Visually it looks near identical. Can they order and have you check dimensions before paying for it?

Where in Ontario are you, by the way? I am in just north of the GTA.

I'm about 40 minutes South-East of London. It will be the Jag dealer in London where I order the part. Unfortunately the risk is all mine. It's not an in stock item so as soon as they order it it's mine. While nothing is zero risk I can't imagine they would have changed the dimensions on the sub frame mount holes between Ford and Jaguar (or the Tbird for that matter). I haven't been able to find a good reference on what might be cross compatible so it looks like I'll have to roll the dice.

If anyone could make solid bushings for this car, I will send you a naked picture of my wife. I'm sure I could get them made, but I'm too busy/lazy.
Sorry for the thread jack; I don't know a definitive answer to your question.
ps- if you order either of those options, could you send over the dimensions?

I sent the link to my mechanic yesterday and he called this morning to confirm that it certainly looks right (I'm so fortunate to have a good service oriented and trustworthy mechanic!....I hate doing my own service work but hate getting shafted even more). I think I'm going to go ahead and risk the <$100 to see if the Jag part will be a replacement. Looks like a lot of people could still benefit from the experiment. I'll do my best to get dimensions when I get the part.

I won't be making the bushings but this counts right?! Your wife's hot yeah?! You meant that as a good thing? :shifty:

:D

I sent the link to my mechanic yesterday and he called this morning to confirm that it certainly looks right (I'm so fortunate to have a good service oriented and trustworthy mechanic!....I hate doing my own service work but hate getting shafted even more). I think I'm going to go ahead and risk the <$100 to see if the Jag part will be a replacement. Looks like a lot of people could still benefit from the experiment. I'll do my best to get dimensions when I get the part.

I won't be making the bushings but this counts right?! Your wife's hot yeah?! You meant that as a good thing? :shifty:

:D

I look forward to hearing back on the part. We've got a strong ear with Whiteline for bushing and suspension components and if it does work, selling them on a 2 car application for the time of 1 cars r&d, I'm sure their listen up a little more.
You have a PM sir!

(that's a lie, don't get too excited. My wife is hot by the way, haha)

Part#: XR818140 - This part will fit the rear mount on all the DEW98 based sub frames. But, that is only one of the 3 different mount typses. I have never seen front mounts for sale, and have not been able to find a P/N. Also the pressed-in differential mounts are nowhere to be found. I have searched for solid mounts and as far as I can tell no-one is selling ones that fit our cars.

My understanding is that Part#: XR818140 is only available fir sale because it was use on another brand car, and so it was crossed over as a Jaguar spare.

Part#: XR818140 - This part will fit the rear mount on all the DEW98 based sub frames. But, that is only one of the 3 different mount typses. I have never seen front mounts for sale, and have not been able to find a P/N. Also the pressed-in differential mounts are nowhere to be found. I have searched for solid mounts and as far as I can tell no-one is selling ones that fit our cars.

My understanding is that Part#: XR818140 is only available fir sale because it was use on another brand car, and so it was crossed over as a Jaguar spare.

Great info. That's too bad, they look near identical:

90006d1404644126-code-p0420-ls-jpg.jpg

M.jpg

I haven't looked/measured to see if they are the same OD, but the front pair has the rectangular section tucked up inside an outer shroud, and the tops of them have a slightly different profile. LS subframe second 3 images, first 3 images, GenII Jaguar subframe. -Significantly different.

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

Last edited:
For what it's worth, the last time I needed sub-frame mounts---for a Volare front to go in my '63 F-100, I made them out of a handful of hockey pucks. Basically, drill a proper-sized hole in the middle, run a bolt through, put a nut on it and chuck it in my drill-press. Rasps and then body-files were used to size and shape the OD. Worked like a charm.

For my LS, I might try the same approach using poly.

KS

Good news! I can confirm that the wife's 2004 LS is back in service having replaced the Front Driver Side Rear Sub Frame bushing with Jaguar part # XR818140. The part cost me about $90 CDN with taxes and shipping from the nearest Jaguar dealer and my local shop put it in for $260 in labor and taxes (2.5hrs). Beats the heck out of either a scrap LS or a full new sub frame from the wrecker.

The local shop did have some difficulty getting the final 1/4" pressed in and had to send it over to another shop but all is well now. The wife reports significant improvement in handling.

I did pull as many dimensions as I could off of the Jag part before I took it to the shop and have a Sketchup drawing to share now that I've confirmed the fit. I will post the Sketchup file once I get home.

Jaguar XR8-18140 cut.jpg

Hmm, Apparently I'm not able to attach either a Sketchup file or a Zip file so the above is a jpeg. I have a great detailed Sketchup drawing I could send to someone if they know how to post it somewhere that it could be shared here. Please PM me if you know of a way.

Jaguar XR8-18140.jpg

Jaguar XR8-18140 cut.jpg

Last edited:
Did you fabricate them yourself? Do you have a drawing you are willing to share in case I want to make my own?
They were pretty simple. Capped top and bottom and used tubing just big enough for the bolt to slide through.

Thank you for the updates. I've been moving, starting college (again) and finding a new job so the LS hs been neglected. Living in the burbs again so I'm also working on finding a garage that will let me wrench. I want the LS to be a 2x4 in the corner so this will help.

Thanks for the info! I have had 2 of these bushings let go on my car, and I foolishly bought a subframe from a Florida junk yard that already had a bad bushing (A**holes thought that didn't matter, won't refund me, $315 USD shipped). I'll be ordering a pair of these, cannot go wrong, thanks to your research and help.

https://www.partswebsite.com/jaguarpartscheap/oemparts/jaguar-130/XR818140.html

I'm not sure if this will work on a 2001 Lincoln LS (XR818140) Im going to attempt to do all 4 bushings I will also need part number XR818141

received_10154274447181431.jpeg

I know this is an old thread, but perhaps there has been new information gained over the past few years.

It appears as if the general consensus here is that the rear sub-frame bushings that are pressed into the rear two holes are not cross-compatible between the S-Type and LS. The listed part # for the S-Type version is: XR818141. Are we certain there is no way to make this work? Have any aftermarket bushings become available that you guys may have used?

I used 4 S-type bushings for my 2000 LS, no fitment issues and still going strong, 6 years later.

glad this thread got bumped! I was looking for those sketch ups.

I still have a pair of 141 and 140's on me, BNIB waiting to go into my gen2 subframe. I would prefer to run solid/aftermarket. Anyone got any ideas? With the measurements above it definitely helps.

yo @milehighmikey I need the part number u used for the 2 rear fronts , I tried some Uro bushings cause they were super cheap but they were for 2003 s type, And did not fit they were too big.

so I want to be sure to buy the correct ones this time . I should of just bought them off the start but I cheaped out and it made things way worse lol I tried to return them but the seller told me he wont pay shipping and for me to send it back , might be too expensive to be worthwile.. ah well lol

The part number is embedded in the link I shared, so you may want to search to suit your needs. That link is no longer in service, I have 2 pages to show, major price differences. If you can find a Jaguar dealership or similar, you may be able to do well on the price.

Members online

No members online now.
Back