Rear lower control arm bushing replacement (pics)

I have both used gen1 and new gen2 Right rear LCA's. I've matched them up and to me they appear identical.
I have yet to install and will definitely be trying this used 1st GEN LCA on an '04

BigRig,

Double check the size of the large rubber bushing at the front of the control arm where it bolts to the subframe. You might find that one arm has 54mm bushing... and the other arm has a 58mm bushing. That might be the only difference,,, but i'd still be curious about the distances between all of the bushings.

10 4 my buddy mechanic warned me about something like this also. Said it's not all the same even though they may look identical.

The 1st GEN was a yard pull where it simply looked too new of a part compared to the rest of the worn out rusted crap underneath. I almost had the other side but a bolt spun and I was limited on tools in a cold wet yard, I wanted the right side, so I got it, is all that mattered.

I'll clean it up and have a closer look, I'll be comparing it to a 2nd GEN new LCA I purchased from DevilSH ... only 700mi on it, nice guy to give me a sweet deal on that.

I'll be doing this within the next couple of weeks but I'll bench it and take some measurements soon as I get back home.

Keep ya posted.

With the Ford/Jaguar joint venture on the DEW98 platform... and Jag sucking up all of Ford's money,,, it seems as though Jag always kept Ford a step behind on the LS. Just a hunch... but I suspect the geometry between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 arms,,, might show a slight change in rear camber or toe. Just a hunch.

I tried to see if my Ford parts buddy could get me dimensional drawings of the control arms... but no dice.

Yup I agree, different part numbers after all probably for good reason.

Wishful thinking on my part however gotta collect parts or my basement looks empty.

I have both used gen1 and new gen2 Right rear LCA's. I've matched them up and to me they appear identical.
I have yet to install and will definitely be trying this used 1st GEN LCA on an '04

BigRig,

Double check the size of the large rubber bushing at the front of the control arm where it bolts to the subframe. You might find that one arm has 54mm bushing... and the other arm has a 58mm bushing. That might be the only difference,,, but i'd still be curious about the distances between all of the bushings.

I honestly though the one I pulled from the yard out of First GEN, 2000 LS8 was in better shape at the bushings but after cleaning it some more I can now clearly see they are busted and old. It's not going in my 04 LSE tonight.

for reference, the one on the top with the new clean looking bushings is the second Gen, out of a 2006 I think with 700 or so miles on it. (thanks DevilSH)

I can't say 100% for sure but they appear very close to me, nearly identical.

It's hard to balance them both on top of one another and keep it straight while looking for different angles and sizes.

I honestly can't say for certain, they sure look the same.

01.jpg

Top is the 2nd GEN, bottom is the 1st GEN (both are right rears)

02.jpg

03.jpg

20161031_160407.jpg

20161031_160416.jpg

20161031_153412.jpg

20161031_154541.jpg

20161031_160428.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

20161031_153412.jpg

20161031_154541.jpg

20161031_160407.jpg

20161031_160416.jpg

20161031_160428.jpg

As you can see ... 71mm ... pretty bang on.

70-01.jpg
2nd GEN

70-02.jpg
2nd GEN

70-03.jpg
1st GEN

70-01.jpg

70-02.jpg

70-03.jpg

54mm

54-01.jpg
2nd GEN

54-02.jpg
1st GEN

54-03.jpg
2nd GEN

54-04.jpg
1st GEN

54-01.jpg

54-02.jpg

54-03.jpg

54-04.jpg

Like I said, they are a bit difficult to balance precisely on top of one another.

so what looks good one minute from one side, seemed to push off set on the backside.

Hope you understand what I mean, I tried to align them by eyeball as best I could,
looks good here and there then having moved them around still thinking I have them properly aligned, I get the following,

01.jpg

02.jpg

notsure02.jpg

notsure03.jpg

notsure04.jpg

notsure06.jpg

I'm going to at least try and fit this used 1st GEN RR LCA on my 04 LSE but it's not staying in as the bushings are shot.

I have the 2nd GEN new LCA and it's going in instead ... I'll keep the 1st GEN around in case I ever feel like going ahead with replacing bushings.

01.jpg

02.jpg

notsure02.jpg

notsure03.jpg

notsure04.jpg

notsure06.jpg

Maybe it was an optical dellusion... but in one of the pics it looked like the distance between the shock mounting ears was narrower on one of the arms. Pic #4 in post #84.

Also probably another dellusion... but in pic #3 in post #84,,, the left bushing OD on the bottom arm looks smaller. Could be the 54mm vs 58mm thing I previously mentioned.

For what it's worth... I think I found the Lemforder part #s for the replacement bushings for the LCA's. 2002 Jag. No gaurantee which arm they will fit as far as gen1 or gen 2. Only orderable from across the pond. I you want,,, I can look them up again.

It's just the angle when taking the pics, that spacing for the shock is the same width across, I should have taken a pic of a measurement.

Went over to my buddy's shop after work and we removed the old unit from the 04 LSE and had a look at all of them aligned.

We also fitted the cleaned up 1st GEN LCA and it went it perfectly with all the bolts through.
Didn't install it as the bearings are done, put the new 2nd GEN arm in and it fitted perfectly as well.

20161031_192907.jpg
Very bottom one it the 1st GEN out of a 2000

20161031_203019.jpg
Same base number again.

I'm thinking they are interchangeably between GEN's, you'd have to go get an alignment and have caster and camber matched before and after to be sure i guess.

What do you think? I honestly can't see any difference myself.

Finished with new rear calipers both sides and the new 2nd GEN RR LCA.
I had a wheel warm up on the right side and a slight shimmy at times, in the ride previously, this all seemed to smooth it out again. Beat on it on the way home and it rides better again.

It is what it is.

20161031_192907.jpg

20161031_203019.jpg

Interesting,

Moog New RK Replacement Rear Right Lower Control Arm For Ford Thunderbird 02-03
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-New-RK...2-03-/131948020426?fits=Make:Lincoln|Model:LS

Price: $185.47

either side from MOOG directly, for LS 2000
http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/products/lincoln_ls_2000?scri=47,34&filter

Price: $178.88

Rock Auto has that very same unit, MOOG RK621951 R-Series
http://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=RK621951

Price: $154.79

~ getting cheaper and cheaper.

I just can't put my name on it that both GEN's are interchangable. Seems the same to me BUT ... <shrugs>

I think it was tijoe who told me that the large "SC" on the newer arm indicates a different composite was used vs the prior arms. Allegedly stronger alloy. I am no metallurgy scientist so I have no way of substantiating this, but it might be the reason for the part# change, even though dimensions are similar.

Also, on Powerflex's website for the Jags (both late Stype and XF) they give you the option of a 54 vs 58 bushing for this arm. But for the early S-Type (the parts I ordered for my gen2 LS) there was no option, and everything fit a-ok.

You are referring to the bushing sleeve's O.D. then, not its width relative to where it mounts?

I only measured the widths.

Yes... the O.D. of the bushing sleeve. Again... may be an optical delusion. The 54mm and 58mm may be correct as the bushings were measured,,, but the powerflex website says:

"The rear lower arm outer bushing (position 12) can use either PFR27-612 which is 58mm long or PFR27-611 which is 54mm long, please measure the original bushing to order the correct part."

This is only for the 02-09 S-Type... but the PFR27-612 is standard for 98-02 S-Types. To me,,, this means that there may be a difference in the width of the ears on the bottom of the rear knuckle depending on date of manufacture... with 2002 being a crossover year.

I assume that the lower outer bushing would be the one at the knuckle... whereas the lower front inner would be the big rubber bushing. To me,,, in the pics,,, the lower front inner, (rubber), bushings appear to be slightly different in size also.

Lemforder isn't showing a part # for the large rubber bushing,,, but supposedly............

LEMFÖRDER 37704 01

Control Arm-/Trailing Arm Bush
•Fitting Position: Rear Axle, Left and right, Lower

These should be the one's to fix the squeak,,, but only seem to be sourced in Europe.

Members online

No members online now.
Back