Rear License Plate ideas?

MisterRoy

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So the knuckleheads that took the rear license plate off my car also tore out the fasteners which also blew out the holes they go in. This results in only 1 of the 2 top screws holding the plate on, barely. Glue doesn't seem to do any good to secure the fasteners to any material left. Has anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas? I don't want to just go drilling holes in my trunk but I don't want my rear plate falling off either.

I used double sided 3M tape. Kept the plate from rattling.

I have the exact same problem as you and was actually going to This stuff by 3M is CRAZY!! As in once it's stuck on both sides it better be exactly where you want it because nothing (without causing damage) will separate it. It's called 3M VHB double sided tape, I use it in a lot of Pi and Arduino builds and can tell you for sure it will hold.
INFO
VHB | 3M Canada

Last edited:
I just fixed the same issue on my car.
Here' what you do.....
1. Go to the auto parts or hardware store that carries auto fasteners.
They make a few different sizes of the push in plastic peice that you screw into....pick one that best suits your need.
2. Stop by AutoZone and pick up a package of Bondo 806 plastic repair...it comes in two tubes.
3. Use the Bondo to glue the push in peice into the car......clean up any mess before the glue starts to set,once it sets you won' t get it off.
The glue starts to set in about 8-10 minutes and should be cured in 20-30.
4. Install your plate....

If all else fails scenario....
If they ripped the hole too big to use the push in peice....simply glue a peice of flat plastic on and screw through that.

Hope this helps.....

Last edited:
this^

just use epoxy to hold in the plastic fasteners into the plastic panel.

also its easy enough to drill two bigger but shallow holes at the bottom and use new snap in fasteners and some epoxy to keep them from spinning and then you have 4 screws holding the plate and zero rattle even with a mad loud stereo system.

Members online

No members online now.
Back