rear door speaker add-on

97LTCSS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
hey gang...its been a while...just wondering if any of you guys have ever drilled into the bottom of the rear doors, im gonna be moving my 6x9's there...since im gonna use my rear deck as my sub box...

ill let you know what i find out (trial & error) but we'll see...

i was thinking about doing that to my lincoln but wrecked b4 i had time just make sure u have window clearence wich shouldnt b a problem in those big doors

bucketthead said:
i was thinking about doing that to my lincoln but wrecked b4 i had time just make sure u have window clearence wich shouldnt b a problem in those big doors

cool...thanks man!!!

Been thinking seriously of adding these home computer speakers to the Lincoln

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1068238&CatId=492

it would mean adding a pair into the rear doors too. Before you laugh me off the stage hear me out.

My buddy runs a Grumman trades van and he runs those 6 speakers in the cab. I stuck my head in there and it sounded AWESOME. He had em' screwed to the ceiling here and screwed to the walls there and the single woofer box strategically placed too.

His rationale was simple; "what kind of car speakers can you get for under $55.00 ?". That's right you can't even get one pair of 6 1/2" speakers, much less 6 speakers for that price.

I couldn't believe how simple it was to hook up. He had the things plugged into an AC adapter stuffed into his cigarette lighter socket.

To control the suckers he had them plugged into an al cheap football sized CD playing ghetto blaster AND THAT WAS IT !

Now for a Lincoln I'd do it a little differently, as you can't have them screwed to the ceiling fouling up the beautiful interiors (IMO).

97LTCSS your rear door speaker placement got me thinking about it again. This Logitech speaker system (which I have already for the home computer) has 5 small speakers; front center, front left and right, rear left and right and of course the big subwoofer box.

The speakers aren't even as deep as the stock 5X7 door speaker magnet
s so I assume I could sawzall a nice long, somewhat oval, opening into each door's sheet metal. Mounting them under the inner door panels would disguise them completely IMO.

That would cover off four of them. Where to mount the front center one wouldn't be too hard as you could conceal it, secure it overhead above the mirror of hang it under the ashtray.

I'm certin the woofer box would fit in the trunk on our shelves and fire nicely through the back seat as it is a woofer after all and you shouldn't lose any clarity from it.

To power it you could run and mount an auxilary lighter socket into the truck. Nobody would see that and you'd leave your front lighter free. A switch to operate the socket from the front could be installed if the controller unit didn't turn the speaker system off and on for you.

To operate the system and play mucis I was thinking there has to be a way to get an iPod or handheld MP3 player to send the needed signal.

Certinally a laptop could run it properly and maybe a palm pilot or similar unit. heck if worse came to worse a CD/DVD/MP3 equipped compact ghetto boc, like my buddy had.

The point is these speakers are capable of rocking down a large sized room in a house. With the sound proofed stereo pit, that Lincoln interiors are, these computer speakers would blow the doors off most car audio speakers for clarity, range and volume.

They'd also offer 6 channel playback of MP3s, not just stereo like most car stereos are limited to and achieve all this for $54.00 !!!!!!!!

I cannot get my head around a way to use a car stereo to send a signal to these home computer AC powered speakers myself, but maybe someone here can ?

Still think I'm crazy ? or just cheap ?

Sixlitre

!!!...wow...!!!

man, that sounds like a plan, but...i think for car audio you need car stuff....like for home thats cool, but once its in your car...i bet it'll sound a lil differant, and then if your windows are down, and the air might take away some sound...

well, i don't know man, that's something you should try and let us know how it sounds...!!!

well, im almost done, with the project, ill post up pics when im done...peace!!!

!!!...update time...!!!

here are the pics of the back seat out, and why i removed it, the box i started building as well...!!!

771224_94_full.jpg

771224_95_full.jpg

771224_96_full.jpg

???

the speakers im using are "free-air" so they don't need to be sealed, so thats why they're right under the rear deck...firing upwards!!!

...as you can see from the last pic, thats looking through the 6x9 hole...

as soon as im done upholstering the trunk, ill add the rest of the pics...

...i will add the pics of the rear doors next!!!

stay tuned....

Are those free air subs or is that just how you are running them, as it can ruin ones not designed for that type of use. Also as to someones comment on computer speakers. Not being designed for indoor/outdoor use or the constant motion of a car like an automotive it will most likely fail ahead of a automotive model. Also the ohms are usually different for computer vs even home none the less car which is usually 4 unless it is a sub. While it may sound like a good idea time is money so to speak. So spending time and parts setting up speakers only designed for indoor use isn't much worth it. Besides that often the wiring is also thin, often hard wired in and is an additional drain on your alternator.

purelux said:
Are those free air subs or is that just how you are running them

they're free air...i wouldn't run them that way if they weren't!!!

purelux said:
Are those free air subs or is that just how you are running them, as it can ruin ones not designed for that type of use. Also as to someones comment on computer speakers. Not being designed for indoor/outdoor use or the constant motion of a car like an automotive it will most likely fail ahead of a automotive model. Also the ohms are usually different for computer vs even home none the less car which is usually 4 unless it is a sub. While it may sound like a good idea time is money so to speak. So spending time and parts setting up speakers only designed for indoor use isn't much worth it. Besides that often the wiring is also thin, often hard wired in and is an additional drain on your alternator.

Sure worked on my buddies trades van

and you'd only be out $54.00 if all of them died. That's for 5 speakers and a huge sub. You can't even get a good pair of automotive tweeters for that these days.

The ohms shouldn't matter as they're being powered fron an A/C adaptor getting their required A/C current.

My only real concerns are how to take advantage of their 6 and 8 channel capacities as opposed to feeding them with just automotive stereo signals.

I'm no stranger to automotive installs or applications as my Bronco has 9 speakers; 10" sub, (2) 8" mid range behind the front seats, (2) 6 1/2" mid range in the front doors and 4 tweeters surrounding my head.

All of these are powered by two four channel amps, with a crossover (yes, I know 70s technology) and a Pioneer MP3/CD player.

Check it all out here;

IMG_0137.jpg

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=22156#content

My point was there's not much stopping a guy from doing, what sound so great in my buddy's van, to a Lincoln

Sixlitre

I wouldn't worry about rear 6x9s. Were do you want your sound comming from behind you. You want the sound comming from the front. If you do add speakers to the rear doors go with 6 1/2s better sound and easier to install.

Tim

Over2tonsofFun said:
I wouldn't worry about rear 6x9s. Were do you want your sound comming from behind you. You want the sound comming from the front. If you do add speakers to the rear doors go with 6 1/2s better sound and easier to install.

Tim

i already have them...so why not, plus...im already done...just waiting on my material to get here, so i can upholster it!!!:)

well...i finally took pics of the doors with the speakers in'em...but i'm atr work right now and i have them saved to my pc at home...ill post htem up as soon as i get home...!!!

here it is

well...the company didn't send me the right stuff i wanted, so i had to send it back...i just used the stock sh!t...but now it doesn't look like i wanted it to...because i threw away the grills when i bought the speakers...so here they are: for now!!!

771224_103_full.jpg

771224_104_full.jpg

771224_105_full.jpg

Looks alright! you really should fix those ashtray lids though :)

95ltc said:
Looks alright! you really should fix those ashtray lids though :)

yeah i know...but the funny thing is...both of the rear ones...don't match the front ones...and i went to lincoln and they said they don't sell them...so i would have to buy the whole set off of an aftermarket company!!!

You just gotta get new springs or something huh?

yup

95ltc said:

yeah, i just need those springs, cuz i saw them fall out when i removed the door panesl but it didn't click that they were the springs for those ashtrays...but i need to buy matching ones first!!! the 2 in the back don't match the wood up front!!!

yup

95ltc said:

yeah, i saw them fall out when i removed the door panels, but it never click that they were the springs for the ashtray hinges...but i have to buy matching wood cuz they don't match the wood upfront!!!

yeah, i saw them fall out when i removed the door panels, but it never click that they were the springs for the ashtray hinges...but i have to buy matching wood cuz they don't match the wood upfront!!!

update

heres what i have done so far...i've got the amps test mounted, the holes drilled out, upholstered & now i just have to hard wire everything...then i'll be all set!!!

254496_164_full.jpg

254496_165_full.jpg

254496_166_full.jpg

254496_167_full.jpg

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Members online

Back