Rear Brakes

$m0k3LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I did a search but came up with minimal results. What is the tool that is needed to change the rear brake pads and how is it utilized?

It looks like this....and you use it like a screw driver and clockwise turn it and it retracts.

Special Tool(s) Adapter for Adjuster, Rear Brake Caliper Piston
206-010 (T75P-2588-A)

Last edited:
A good long set will work as long as the piston is not stuck, like when the brakes are completely gone for the last 5000 miles!!

Where can I pick this little bastard up?:shifty:
Harbor Freight has this reasonably-priced set: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97143
97143.gif

You can probably borrow one at your friendly local auto parts store/AutoZone/O'Reilly's/etc.

A cube tool from your local Auto parts store.
The cube will work fine and should cost you less then $10- I like to remove the rotor and remount the caliper on the bracket, use a 1/4" extention with the "cube" will pass thru the mounting bracket area. This allows you to use both hands to pushing on the rachet to keep the "cube" engaged on the piston while turning it.

I found that the tool works best if you take the side facing up in this picture with the 4 post (the side I've never used in 10 years) and grinded off 2 opposing studs. Then use that end to engage in the caliper piston. Open the bleeder screw a little, push inward while turning clockwise.

apo_t71921.jpg

the cube does not work very well - as you cannot generate enough leverage by hand to wind the piston in (and it seem overkill to have to pull the rotors just to wind the piston back in). The caliper kit SoonerLS mentioned uses a plate to push against the opposite side of the caliper - works very well.

the cube does not work very well - as you cannot generate enough leverage by hand to wind the piston in (and it seem overkill to have to pull the rotors just to wind the piston back in). The caliper kit SoonerLS mentioned uses a plate to push against the opposite side of the caliper - works very well.

The cubes the only tool I've used for the last 10 years, maybe its time to do something new next time I'm near Harbor Freight, but I've gotten by because I'm usually installing new rotors or switching to my track prepped rotors anyway- ;)

--------

+1. AND the nubs on the cube werent "deep" enough for me. Kept slipping.

this tool is offered at autozone for free. i think the deposit was $35.00

That caliper kit is great. I started trying to wind mine back in with neelenose pliers. What a pain--I only wound it back enough to put the old pads back in then I went to Harbor Freight and bought a similar but smaller kit to the one above on sale for $20. WELL worth it in my opinion!

Members online

No members online now.
Back