Rear Brakes tips :) HELP!

alexchern75

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need to do my rear brakes tomorrow morning on my 2000 LS Sport ...I have done brakes before on average cars and did not have problems...
Are the rear brakes on these Lincolns trickier? is there anything I should expect? do I have to bleed all 4 wheels?
do I just squeeze the piston in to its housing or is there a (mechanical IE. allen wrench) that I need to use to retract the piston? are there any specifics I should consider before attempting this myself???
Please give me some input, thanks!!

You need to rent the special tool from the autozone for the rear brakes to push that thing (I forgot how it's called) in, other than that, simple as the front ones.

well, I am maybe a little picky here but - I always bleed the brakes - always.

it not hard to do and can't hurt?

right if you're car's old enough to need to change rear pads you should bleed...or better yet replace the fluid.

just and FYI - but I flush my brake fluid every spring and I use DOT4 instead of the OE DOT3.

Hey guys, just wanted to give you an update! The install when beautifuly one change: on the 2000LS sport the nuts are size 13mm and not 12mm no buggie. The tool was awesome Autozone let me borrow ($38 deposit) one with numerous attachments and a fake pad that helps push against the caliper so all you have to do is turn the knob and the piston compresess. This keeps you from havingto worry about pushing on it manually while twisting.
the other thing I found was that it helps to (after installing the tool) to screw in the upper part of of the caliper back in place so you can appl more force when twinsting the handle. either way , here is a picture of the new brakes installed:
click on it to enlarge:

Quik LS said:
just and FYI - but I flush my brake fluid every spring and I use DOT4 instead of the OE DOT3.

What method do you use to replace fluid and bleed the brake system in the LS?

Members online

No members online now.
Back