real happy with system now

LikeNew02

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I just made a new addition to my system that I am really pleased with.

I bought some 3 way polk 6x9s db690 (found them ebay for only $100 new) for my deck lid to replace the paper woofers. The speaker install fit was perfect and clean. Connected them to my old 2 channel punch 160 (40 RMS x 2). Damm!!!! They sound good. I would highly recommend this set up for those that want something nice that keeps a stock look. I was able to even put the amp the same place as the stock amp(new amp is 3 times a large 8^) ). The trunk area still looks stock, but now the bass pounds, and mid and highs sound just as clear. The bass rattles the back a little at high volume. Is dyno mat the answer to the rattle? Music even sounds sweet with it completly faded to the back.

I got my audio signal from the rear speaker wires, and then connected to the high/low inputs on the amp. The remote signal connects to power window signal. This wire could be improved. Any suggestions on improving wiring on these connections?

In the front doors, I have polk 3 way 5x7s that are connected to the factory amp. These also sound very good. They do vibrate the door a little with some long and low bass. Is full door dyno mat the answer to the rattle? No speakers in rear doors

Just ordered infinity 3.5'' kappas for the front console. After these I might be done.

The total cost all new speakers, small amp, and install kit was only $500ish!

Eventualy, I would like to install another amp for the front speakers, and maybe add and small sub.

Alex

Which stock system did you or do you have?

I have the Alpine factory system with the 6-disc changer. I added a PPI 2600 amp and two Memphis 10"s. The 10's pound hard. Only running 150 watts to each sub. The factory system sounded great to me. I just wanted a more thump in the trunk. Pictuer of the sub box in trunk. I have since done a beauty board. The trunk now has a wall covered to match the interior.

LVC #8.jpg

alphine stock

I also have the Alpine factory system with the 6-disc changer. The stock deck is pretty nice. However, I don't know why it does not display cd artist and title, my 2001 alphine deck could do it.

I bet the 10's sound a real nice. I am trying to stay away from subs in the trunk for a couple of reasons: keep stock appearance, be able fit mountain bike in trunk, and don't want to give thieves(tweekers and thugs) a reason to break in.

Does anyone have suggestions on my vibration/rattle and wiring questions in the original post?

Alex

Compared to 1 mid-grade 10', how much bass do the 6X9's produce?

Asim

the 10 wins

I am sure the 10'' would hit harder.

I plan on adding a small sub soon, however, I still perfer my current setup over the stock.

If you do go with a 10'' sub, I would still remove the speakers from the rears doors, and put some 6x9s in the deck lid.

audio lol rattle can be helped by dynamat still has some rattle but for what your pushing you should be fine i am in the middle of a custom competition bass audio setup i have RATTLE lol im pushing 2000 watts per sub and might go to 4000 if my car can handle the pressure
pioneer avic n2
jbl power series speakers and tweaters
boston acoustics gt-40 amp for speakers
sirius tuner
jbl gti w12" subs x2
custom box / fiberglass work
gti crown amp 2200 watts for subs
neon
etc etc etc it never ends any more questions email me enjoy!

You gotta rember that the 6x9's are only moving 6x9 worh of air space and they are made to be some what free air and a 10 in sub is moving 10inches of air space and not being a free air you will get alot more bass. It is hard to compare 6x9 to a woffer no matter what size because a 6x9 is mad for mid-range bass when a sub is made for low bass.

Adding a sub to any system will improve you sound a 100 X better then just doing 6x9's.
My 2 cents.
Matt

Check the system out
|
|
V

I see that you put your speakers in from the top, does the carpet part just lift out? I think I am going to mount from the bottom but I want to start my screws from the top.
Eamonn

hockey930 said:
I see that you put your speakers in from the top, does the carpet part just lift out? I think I am going to mount from the bottom but I want to start my screws from the top.
Eamonn
To get the rear shelf carpet off, you'll have to remove the rear seat bolsters (the part of the seat that doesn't fold down) then remove (move out of the way) the C-pillar trim pieces that the seat belts retract behind, then then the trim pieces that hide the carpet edge of the rear shelf, the 3rd brake light cover, and it should come out.........that is how I did mine.

update

I changed my mind. The 6x9s sound a little muffled.

I have swithed to using the 6x9s like the stock system as subs now(I set the amp to crossover below 80 hz). I think that the system will sound better when I put some 5.25 comps in.

I got a 02 LS sport with the 6 disc in dash changer. I am aware that there are 12 speakers but I would like to know the details incase I want to upgrade. What are the speaker sizes/locations as well as the amp?

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back