reading material

eL eS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
anyone reaing any good automotive books for ECU's and such.

I have this one on hold with my local library:

Automotive electronics and computer systems / Robert N. Brady.

Automotive electronics and computer systems
1 - Introduction to Automotive Computers Page#
On-Board Computers 2
Engine Control Module 4
Powertrain Control Module 7
Control Module 11
Analog and Digital Signals 15
Integrated Vehicle Electrical/Electronic Systems 21
Signals and Signal Conversion 22
ECM/PCM Memory Devices 28
The Central Processing Unit 31
PCM Hardware 46
PCM Software 49
ECM/PCM Servicing 53
Questions 67
2 - Engine and Vehicle Sensors 69
Engine and Vehicle Sensors 70
Sensor--PCM Interaction 71
Sensor Function/Description 74
Throttle Position Sensors 79
Crankshaft Position Sensor 85
Camshaft Sensor 100
Oxygen Sensors 105
Liquid Pressure Sensors 124
Temperature Sensors 127
MAP/MAF Sensors 132
IAT/MAT Sensors 143
MAF (Mass Airflow) Systems 144
Knock Sensor 157
Cylinder Pressure Sensors 162
Oil-Level Sensor 163
Oil Condition Sensor 165
Vehicle Speed Sensor 165
Air Conditioning Strategy 170
A/C Pressure Sensor 170
Questions 172
3 - Ignition Systems 176
Electronic Ignition Systems 177
Electronic Distributor Ignition Systems 185
Spark Plugs 232
Electronic Ignition System Testing 237
Questions 249
4 - Fuel Injection Systems 254
Background Information 255
Types of Fuel Injection Systems 256
Fuel Supply System 260
Fuel Injector Operation 269
Adaptive Fuel Control Circuit 275
Diagnosing Fuel System Problems 281
Idle Speed Control 296
Ford Fuel Injection Systems 297
Alternative-Fuel Systems 300
Gasoline Direct Injection 302
Questions 305
5 - Bosch Fuel Systems 308
Background Information 308
Bosch Injection Systems 310
Questions 318
6 - Japanese Vehicle Systems 319
Globalization of Technology 319
Nissan/Quest Mercury Villager 323
Questions 331
7 - Evaporative Emission Control Systems: Function, Operation, Service, and Diagnosis 332
Evaporative Emissions Systems 332
EVAP Monitoring System 336
EVAP Diagnosis and Testing 337
PCV Systems 341
Thermostatic Air Cleaner 342
Questions 345
8 - Exhaust Emissions Control Systems: Function and Operation, Service and Diagnosis 346
Atmospheric Air Makeup 346
Typical Automotive Pollutants 347
The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System 349
Air Injection Reaction System 358
Variable CAM Timing System 362
Questions 363
9 - Catalytic Converters 365
The Catalytic Converter System 365
Catalyst Monitor 374
Questions 377
10 - OBD-II Diagnostic Systems and Scan Tools 378
Introduction 378
OBD-I Engine Diagnostic System 379
OBD-II Engine Control Systems 379
SAE DTC Standards 391
Scan Tools 398
Strategy-Based Diagnostics 411
Engine/Vehicle Performance Problems 413
Questions 426
Glossary of Automotive and Truck Electronic Terms 429
Answers to End-of-Chapter Questions

Also, I would like to know if it is possible to buy pcm programming software as an educational license.

Don't know, but please tell me you didn't write all of that down...

sounds like a good one.

Since I been using the SCT Flasher for a month now - I'm looking at buying their Pro Racer Package that lets you do all the same tuning a SCT dealer can - but it's locked to a single car.

To start learning about this I bought "How to Tune & Modify Engine Management Systems" by Jeff Hartman - pretty good so far but I'm only to the chapter of "Actuators and Actuator Systems" ;)

Quik LS said:
sounds like a good one.

Since I been using the SCT Flasher for a month now - I'm looking at buying their Pro Racer Package that lets you do all the same tuning a SCT dealer can - but it's locked to a single car.

To start learning about this I bought "How to Tune & Modify Engine Management Systems" by Jeff Hartman - pretty good so far but I'm only to the chapter of "Actuators and Actuator Systems" ;)

Excellent please let me know what you think of the book in a few more chapters. I am preparing my way for a new hobby and this is it. How much is the software? Do you think they would offer a discount on a volume purchase? Maybe a few other folks would like to join in on the fun.

eL eS said:
Excellent please let me know what you think of the book in a few more chapters. I am preparing my way for a new hobby and this is it. How much is the software? Do you think they would offer a discount on a volume purchase? Maybe a few other folks would like to join in on the fun.

Torrie from FordPartsNetwork has been selling the SCT Flashers now (many LLSOC member have them) - he can know also sell the Pro Racer Package. He has always been sharp on pricing - if we can get enough interest - I'm sure we can negoiate something.

Quik LS said:
Torrie from FordPartsNetwork has been selling the SCT Flashers now (many LLSOC member have them) - he can know also sell the Pro Racer Package. He has always been sharp on pricing - if we can get enough interest - I'm sure we can negoiate something.

Well I am cetainly i the game and would not mind joining a community of fellow ECU modders even if it means rejoining the llsoc group.

any takers? Only serious modders need apply please.

Do you kow if the software can replace the odbII scan tool or ado the compliment one another?

eL eS said:
Well I am cetainly i the game and would not mind joining a community of fellow ECU modders even if it means rejoining the llsoc group.

Do you kow if the software can replace the odbII scan tool or ado the compliment one another?

The Pro Racer Package is $499 list. -> http://www.modulardepot.com/product_info.php?products_id=88

Torrie will sell to anyone - not just LLSOC - but they do get a discount.

If you're interested in a group purchase - call him and ask how many folks would need to buy to make it worth while. I'll join any group buy.

Quik LS said:
If you're interested in a group purchase - call him and ask how many folks would need to buy to make it worth while. I'll join any group buy.

ditto... provided it will work on an 04.

slagburn said:
ditto... provided it will work on an 04.

it's all based on PCM version. They have to have your PCM version in the 'crack' database. You can find the PCM version on a sticker on the PCM itself (which is up under the dash behind the glove box) - or you can call Torrie with your VIN and he can tell which version it is.

eL eS said:

I would be interested, but not sure about right now. I have re-programmed my EEC-IV for my supercharged '95 Mustang and it runs better than it did stock, so I am a believer in EEC-Tuning! I was able to correct all those darn SN95 quirks. My question is, would the tuner really do me any good on the LS? I HAD to have it on the Mustang as I swapped injectors, MAF, induction, etc... but 5 or 10 hp doesn't really get me. I am into the big HP mods. :) If I kept my LS past the 3.9 engine life, I would see about putting a 4.6 in it, or the S-Type R engine.

What about the 3 valve 4.6 in the 2005 Mustang? They use the new processor in those cars. I wonder if the engine portion of the computer program can be transferred into the LS computer. I could probably live with the '05 4.6. :)

My SCT piece should be here tomorrow, so keep me posted about the software.(price)

I also ordered the KKZ intake from llsoc on thursday of last week. They sent me an email saying they would call me within three days to confirm, but I haven't heard any thing from them and the web site says the order is still pending. :bash:
I'm starting to get worried about their loyalty to customers. Of course they already have my money.

I hate ordering stuff on line. I'm to impatient. :Bang

Quik LS said:

Does anyone know how they tie the software to one car?

Does it pull the VIN from the ODBII connection or what?

If the software only adjusts the programming of the SCT unit, then the software should work on any SCT unit no matter what car.
It sounds like something that could be "fixed" (hint hint)

I think someone already asked but I didn't see an answer.
Does the software pull diagnostic codes from the ODBII plug.

MikeB said:
Does anyone know how they tie the software to one car?

Does it pull the VIN from the ODBII connection or what?

If the software only adjusts the programming of the SCT unit, then the software should work on any SCT unit no matter what car.
It sounds like something that could be "fixed" (hint hint)

I think someone already asked but I didn't see an answer.
Does the software pull diagnostic codes from the ODBII plug.

Correct - the flasher is VIN locked - the first thing a new flasher does is download a copy of the current PCM code with the VIN and stores it into position 'F' (for Factory) in the unit. If you unlock the flasher from the VIN, then you cannot upload the factory PCM back into your car (trust me I know this one... long story).

So you can use the flasher on more than one car - but - you would have to flash the car back to stock before using it on another vechile - or you would never be able to return to stock - so what's the point.

The other thing to remember is that the tunes are built on top of a PCM version - so the tune will only work on a car with that version of PCM.

I believe, not sure, that the Pro Racer Software is locked to a single Flasher unit serial number - so it effectively locks the software to one car.

That makes sense.
It sounds like you have some real experience with getting the bugs out of the flasher unit. (WE WANT THE STORY)

I never planned on using the flasher on multiple vehicles, my concern was with using the software on multiple flashers.

Thanks for the info.

I've been reading on the web and it doesn't mention it.

eL eS said:
any word on whether or bnot it can pull OBDII codes?

no - it creates tuned PCMs and load it into the Flasher unit - it never touches the car itself.

SCT does have an ODBII data logger called the raptor. It interfaces with a PC - then logs the data through the ODBII port as you drive - then uploads it to the PC when finished - not as nice as the ScanTool from AutoEnginuity.

Quik LS said:
no - it creates tuned PCMs and load it into the Flasher unit - it never touches the car itself.

SCT does have an ODBII data logger called the raptor. It interfaces with a PC - then logs the data through the ODBII port as you drive - then uploads it to the PC when finished - not as nice as the ScanTool from AutoEnginuity.

Thanks for the info quik ls. I was considering unloading mine if and when I go the path of pcm tuning. I am going to read up a bit before I jump into the fire with it. You raised some good questions of concern for me regarding engine swap and engine management. I am considering an engine swap as well and may not really need to go the pcm route.

There are many things I like and don't want to loose in an engine swap so i really really want to educate myself before I commit to either option.

i also wouldn't mind keeping the V6 and removing the auto tranny but again there a a few things I need to know about engine management.

So some further self-study is in order here one way or another though changes will be made. I am looking for fun and bang for the buck and have no ambition to build a hot rod if you will there are way too many other ways to go about that.

MikeB said:
As usual I make a purchase and then find out that there is something new and better comming out. The Xcal2 is due out in Feb and it has a built in data logger and LCD screen.
http://www.sctflash.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=252

yep - it's coming - a combo of the raptor data logger and the Xcal Flasher. Not sure how useful the new unit will be unless you also purchase the Pro Racer Package and a Wide Band sensor - then you can really do all your own tuning like the pros.

SCT has been really good to deal with - but like any new project - their timelines can slip around - so do not hold your breath on the Feb date.

Members online

No members online now.
Back