Re Chrome Grille

DS4885

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with re-chroming the grill or lower headlight strips on Mark VIII Gen II (1998) The chrome is coming off of mine leaving the black below it.

Yeah, color match those parts to the car! It's the best way out & your car looks like an LSC. I just had a very minor accident but it ruined my headerpanel. I was lucky enough to find one with original paint, when I swapped it I took advantage of the dis-assembly & painted the parts to match the car. I'm good with the spray can so I did it myself. However it's a super cheap job if you take it to the body shop. I promise it will look so much cleaner & much cheaper than re-chroming.

BEFORE:

396817_10150412202281891_679476890_8806862_1121537191_n.jpg

AFTER
401195_10150461890821891_679476890_9026747_974501644_n.jpg

I assume you're good at the rattle can because you do it alot? LOL i see overspray on the driveway next the the wheel on your 1st pic..was that a center console shifter surround piece?? haha

I assume you're good at the rattle can because you do it alot? LOL i see overspray on the driveway next the the wheel on your 1st pic..was that a center console shifter surround piece?? haha

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahaha, yeah! Painted the shifter off of my 93 like 3 months ago, lol. I used to live next door. You should see the floor there, lol. :shifty::D

Painted the following:

Trim on this base 97
IMAG1066ss.jpg

Grill & light trim
192073_10150108305751891_679476890_6845012_4955946_o.jpg

Rear neon & passanger side light
191267_10150108188651891_679476890_6843860_6313680_o.jpg

Rear neon & both rear lights
IMAG0865s.jpg

IMAG0867s.jpg

When I purchased my 93, I did the following:

l_edf104cb78e54d779052f4944318de26.jpg

wheels.jpg

Photo_040110_006s.jpg

I've also painted the motor on this puppy I owned:

PICT0898.jpg

painted the front & rear bumpers on my truck, the dash on my truck, the dash on my 93, the interior on a 92 T-Bird, 1/4 panel on a 94 T-Bird I owned, & many, many, many, many more!!!

Yeah, color match those parts to the car! It's the best way out & your car looks like an LSC. I just had a very minor accident but it ruined my headerpanel. I was lucky enough to find one with original paint, when I swapped it I took advantage of the dis-assembly & painted the parts to match the car. I'm good with the spray can so I did it myself. However it's a super cheap job if you take it to the body shop. I promise it will look so much cleaner & much cheaper than re-chroming.

BEFORE:

396817_10150412202281891_679476890_8806862_1121537191_n.jpg

AFTER
401195_10150461890821891_679476890_9026747_974501644_n.jpg

Wow! That looks real good! Should bode well for me being that I used to "tag" as a teenager, although I haven't used a spray can in a long time... In any event, I really would like that LSC look on both my Marks, especially my BA Mark since that's my current baby.

Do you know if all Light Prairie Tan cans the same color or are there some that appear more darker/lighter than other brands? I'm thinking about getting this one from Autozone.

Wow! That looks real good! Should bode well for me being that I used to "tag" as a teenager, although I haven't used a spray can in a long time... In any event, I really would like that LSC look on both my Marks, especially my BA Mark since that's my current baby.

Do you know if all Light Prairie Tan cans the same color or are there some that appear more darker/lighter than other brands? I'm thinking about getting this one from Autozone.

I see we both share the same color. Yes, that's what I purchased. It's the same for Advanced Auto Parts as well. BFM0346 is the famous #. 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of light prairie tan & 5 coats of clear. If you want it done properly, after the 4th coat of clear, do some light sanding then spray 2 more clear coats, super light sanding then buff. Should have a beautiful shine!

Just FYI, the Lincoln Star on the grill is an 11mm, you can remove the nut with just a socket...less to tape off :)

Yeah kinda, some people have the idea that it doesn't come off, and it's stupid easy, not even that much of a squeeze. In actuality, you probably used more energy taping it off than just removing it

Yeah kinda, some people have the idea that it doesn't come off, and it's stupid easy, not even that much of a squeeze. In actuality, you probably used more energy taping it off than just removing it

Truth be told, yes, you are right... You want to know why it came down to tape that day? I didn't want to go back in the house to get the socket I needed, lol. :D

lol, that's alota spray painting..and don't tell me you painted your floor mats??

I guess I shouldn't feel ashamed that I took a rattle can to my thunderbird front bumper once when I rubbed a snow bank (ice bank really) paint flaked off of the lower part of the bumper so I sanded and cleaned it up and blended it into the rest of the bumper..didn't even tape it off cause I didn't want tape lines...and it actually turned out decent. But then some lady clipped the bumper later and had it repainted FO FREE. :D

Where do get your paint from? I know that torreader red is a pain in the a$$ to match, (same color as my tbird was) I ended up buying paint from pep boys in their touch up paint section..i just found something that looked close to the same.

I've heard of people getting paint mixed and having it put in a spray can?? Anyone else know of this? do body shops or paint supply places do it?

Painted the following:

I've also painted the motor on this puppy I owned:

PICT0898.jpg

painted the front & rear bumpers on my truck, the dash on my truck, the dash on my 93, the interior on a 92 T-Bird, 1/4 panel on a 94 T-Bird I owned, & many, many, many, many more!!!

tell us more about the gp800. i can at least see a head and what looks like some double pipes? what are (or were) the mods 0n that beast?

Last edited:
I see we both share the same color. Yes, that's what I purchased. It's the same for Advanced Auto Parts as well. BFM0346 is the famous #. 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of light prairie tan & 5 coats of clear. If you want it done properly, after the 4th coat of clear, do some light sanding then spray 2 more clear coats, super light sanding then buff. Should have a beautiful shine!

I appreciate the advice since I plan on getting to it this weekend, Thanks! I'm assuming the same goes for the side mold trim & rear tail trim as well, right? If I'm gonna floss an LSC look, might as well do it all around and do it right.

I appreciate the advice since I plan on getting to it this weekend, Thanks! I'm assuming the same goes for the side mold trim & rear tail trim as well, right? If I'm gonna floss an LSC look, might as well do it all around and do it right.
Yes, same goes for all the trim around the car. I'm re-doing the rear trim on my 97 tomorrow to match it better.

tell us more about the gp800. i can at least see a head and what looks like some double pipes? what are (or were) the mods 0n that beast?

That was actually a GP760. Here's a pic of the motor before I did a top end rebuild.

PICT0760small.jpg

I went with full RIVA Racing parts. This was a stock 43mph ski. I turned it into a 59mph ski. It kept up with all the 1200cc big boys. Now, I also had a GP800 bored out & pretty nice looking as well. Here it is next to my GP760.
PICT1161cropped.jpg

I had one ski before those 2, then I sold the above 2 skis to a guy that openened a JetSki rental place in Costa Rica. So those ski's are long gone. Then along came the monster. My pride & joy. The one I regret selling so badly!

This is what she looked like stock. Plain ol' 56mph 1200cc waverunner. She spent 2 years like this with me until I blew the engine while racing a guy on a flats boat & another skier.
Alex.jpg

I promised myself I wouldn't touch it until I would be able to come back strong & boy did I... My grandpa died that same year so I put the project on a back burner. The whole story is on the jetski forum I used to frequent.

This was exactly 14 months after the waverunner sat dry. A new look, complete rebuild, 68.7mph. The amount of upgrades I did to this ski is insane. I'm not even going to list them here because no one would understand.

jet3.jpg

101_0299ssss.jpg

101_0308ssss.jpg

I took these pictures while I was installing the seat covers.

101_0095.jpg

101_0123mspc.jpg

What do you mean "wouldn't understand", it's a real fast floaty thingy, what's to understand

i speak jet ski, please enlighten us. btw i ride a stock 62mph honda lol

What do you mean "wouldn't understand", it's a real fast floaty thingy, what's to understand

Hehe... Exactly. Fast floaty thingy!

i speak jet ski, please enlighten us. btw i ride a stock 62mph honda lol

Well, my ski's were fast for their days. My GP760 was a 97, My GP800 was a 98 & my XLT1200 was a 2001. I'm not a Honda jetski guy. I've owned SeaDoo's & YAMAHA's. I stayed with YAMAHA's because they were really easy to work on. All my ski's were 2 strokes. I'm assuming your Honda is a 4 stroke as all newer skis. Much faster, much more efficient ski.

As for my mods?

*Jetworks kit
*D-Plate
*R&D Intake grate
*R&D ride plate
*5 degree GPR nozzle
*Cut out syphone intake tube
*MIkuni Racing carb kit
*RIVA Racing air filters
*RIVA free flow exhaust
*Pump Plug KIT
*TDR waterbox (on & off, depending on what I was doing)
*Stainless Steel SOLAS 13/19 pitch impeller

Here's a video you all might enjoy!

2008 Islamorada Waverunner Compilation video - YouTube

Yep 4 stroke turbo. Coming up on 80 hours and no problems. My only bitch is the $10 sparkplugs, and it drinks gas like a mf. Id like to het an intercooler a prop and a tune but thats 1000$ that can be spent elsewhere. Id jizz my pant if i got to ride the new ultra 300x. Thats a badass mother:q:q:q:qer

Yep 4 stroke turbo. Coming up on 80 hours and no problems. My only bitch is the $10 sparkplugs, and it drinks gas like a mf. Id like to het an intercooler a prop and a tune but thats 1000$ that can be spent elsewhere. Id jizz my pant if i got to ride the new ultra 300x. Thats a badass mother:q:q:q:qer

Well, they deserve it. They reclaimed their place on thrown. After all, Kawi invented the sport!

ya no kidding. they're pretty proud of it though at well over $12k for a new one. the supercharger whine from it is just unworldly awesome lol

Members online

Back