Random hesitation on hot start up goes away when you start rolling.

Ahmed Awad

LVC Member
Reaction score
So every once in a while when I start my 2004 v8 on a warm start it will shake like crazy and I've either shut it off and restarted which sometimes worked or I would just drive and it'll immediately smooth out, but sometimes it stalls when I put it in drive and try going. It finally displayed a CEL so I pulled the following codes at auto zone.

P2106 Throttle Actuator control system - forced limited power
P0190 Fuel rail pressure sensor
P2106 Throttle Actuator control system - forced limited power
P2196 O2 sensor signal stuck rich bank 1 sensor 1
P2198 O2 sensor signal stuck rich bank 2 sensor 1

I'm thinking I should clean the MAF and throttle body with some of the cleaners and disconnect the battery to have it relearn the fuel trim.

Im coming up on 86xxx miles so I'm thinking I should also look into new COPs and plugs but I'm not sure if that's an immediate issue causing the problem.

I do believe I have been getting worse gas milage recently (I always use 93) and I occasionally smell gas in the cabin through the AC ducts especially when it does a rough start so I think I am running too rich.

I'd start with the coils and plugs. Plugs gap'd to 1.0mm exactly, and Motorcraft coils. You have to buy the boot separately now. Get those too.

I'd start with the coils and plugs. Plugs gap'd to 1.0mm exactly, and Motorcraft coils. You have to buy the boot separately now. Get those too.

Sounds like a plan. As far as valve covers go, would I have to replace those too or only if there is oil in any of the plug wells.

I've never worked on cars before but I'm sure I can manage the coils and plugs but the valve covers seem tricky.

Sounds like a plan. As far as valve covers go, would I have to replace those too or only if there is oil in any of the plug wells.

I've never worked on cars before but I'm sure I can manage the coils and plugs but the valve covers seem tricky.

Valve cover gaskets, not the valve covers themselves.

So I have these parts in my cart just about ready to check out. Am I all set?

script>

valve vover job.png

Last edited:
I'd say you're good to go .

Might want to contact RA and verify that the coils come with boots.

RA's pics are usually accurate... So the no boot thing might just be Amazon and/or eBay.

Get a small tube of dielectric grease for the boot to plug connection... And the coil to harness connections. Be gentle with the harness connections at the coils because they will break if you get rough with them.

Make sure you install every new o-ring that comes with the gasket set. It's time consuming... But they are there for a reason.

You're gonna need a good 1/4" drive socket set with several lengths of extentions and a swivel... And a set of stubby metric wrenches from 6mm to 13mm. The worst bolt for the valve covers is the drivers side bottom one under the brake booster.

Passenger side is pretty easy, but the drivers side requires removal of a few things to get them out of the way.... air box, fuel pressure regulator mounted on inner fender, dipstick tube, a bunch of hoses and wire harnesses. You'll need this tool to disconnect the fuel line from the injector rail, (again, drivers side):

Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

It works similar to an air chuck. From the left side fender... Pull the tool toward you from the backside as you then pull the fuel line off away from you.

I think that's all the important stuff

Last edited:
You also need some good medium temperature oil resistant sealant. It's required at the front where the heads meet the timing cover.

Thanks for all the good information. Ill be doing this once I get her back from the shop who did the cooling system overhaul for me last year, it started loosing more coolant from under the front right tire area.

Mechanic said when he was doing to pressure test on the cooling system when he first started the motor it had too much pressure in the cooling system. Looks like I got the unicorn Lincoln LS with a blown head gasket.

Well here marks the end.

Yesterday I traded Lauren the Lincoln in after two years of service. Opted for a fusion energi titanium for the time being until I graduate college.

Hopefully in the future I’ll get another Lincoln Ls and make it perfect. Until then goodbye.

181D67AA-A226-401D-A07C-B8744217C6B4.jpeg

4A16A064-C643-42FF-9137-4888D32E8D45.jpeg

74EB8F1F-4F5E-40A7-80CA-85E1FB090670.jpeg

CC094D66-561C-4331-A69A-294717DEC4AA.jpeg

37D57FD4-21B5-4ECC-9BB7-F0FD71FD2394.jpeg

Members online

Back