Random ETC Failsafe

Jet pump failure is unlikely, but not impossible. Certainly what you have does suggest it. The tank is 18 gallons.
I would access both fuel pump assemblies. It's possible/probable that the previous owner messed something up changing out the primary pump. It ties inside the tank to the jet pump.

2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual
2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

Note that those quick connect couplings are very easy to damage now that they are old and brittle.

So.. noticed that either the traction control light comes on, OR we go into failsafe. Either one happens within about 30 seconds to 1 min of driving. I noticed if engine goes failsafe, traction control light does NOT come on. However, if traction control lights comes on, I never go to failsafe. Don’t know if this matters or not, just throwing it at the wall.

So, Traction control (spinning wheel symbol) and not AdvanceTrac (swerving car symbol), and no ABS light?
I wonder if there is some communications problem between the ABS module and the PCM?

So, Traction control (spinning wheel symbol) and not AdvanceTrac (swerving car symbol), and no ABS light?
I wonder if there is some communications problem between the ABS module and the PCM?

close. ABS light is constant. But in addition, either traction control or failsafe will be added.

and yes, traction, not AdvanceTrac.

Okay then. It's possibly one of your rear wheel speed sensors, but you should get codes pointing to it.

Okay then. It's possibly one of your rear wheel speed sensors, but you should get codes pointing to it.

#1 - could this cause fail safe?
#2 - I’ll have to fire up Forscan to find this I’m sure, so I’ll get this done Saturday.

It's an 18 gallon tank. 19 if you top it off right to the gas cap.

18-12=6
6-3 to 4= 2 to 3 gallons still in the tank IF... your gas gauge is correct.

Last edited:
Sorry for the hiatus

Went ahead and replaced entire fuel pump assembly, had access to the whole thing. Jet pump was broken. Solved fuel gauge issue and one of the codes.

changed out wheel sensor on rear passenger side, no more ABS light, traction control light, or Failsafe. Problem solved.

Now trying to figure out why my wheel is shaking between 60-75. Just finished replacing rear upper control arm because old one was wore out. Still shaking so far.

Sorry for the hiatus

Went ahead and replaced entire fuel pump assembly, had access to the whole thing. Jet pump was broken. Solved fuel gauge issue and one of the codes.

changed out wheel sensor on rear passenger side, no more ABS light, traction control light, or Failsafe. Problem solved.

Now trying to figure out why my wheel is shaking between 60-75. Just finished replacing rear upper control arm because old one was wore out. Still shaking so far.
Alignment? Wheels balanced? Or are you thinking it's an actual suspension component?

The LS seems to be more sensitive than most to wheel balance and roundness.

Alignment? Wheels balanced? Or are you thinking it's an actual suspension component?

Honestly, im thinking its going to be wheels/tires. going to check them out. First i thought it was because the rear ball joint was completely wore out, but that didn't fix the problem. going to see if I can get them balanced this week and take it from there.

I'm just happy most of the other issues are fixed. that's my last issue I have aside from replacing the 6X9 speakers in the morning just because they are completely blown.

The LS seems to be more sensitive than most to wheel balance and roundness.

Well, in this case, good, hopefully it's nothing more than wheels being balanced then (the ghetto 20" wheels they had on there are probably shot too, and i still have them on the rear, searching for more 17" wheels to make her stock again.

#1 - could this cause fail safe?
#2 - I’ll have to fire up Forscan to find this I’m sure, so I’ll get this done Saturday.
similar story with my gen 1 sport the advance trac SS light comes on .... after running scan forscan calibration tools it turns off untill i park for an extended time on my inclined driveway i dont have any other DTC's and do have a moving to the floor brake pedal even after replacing the booster and master i have a spare abs unit that i want to install but wondering if im going to incur a programming error or if i can just install it or just the pump with the old electrical module i backed up the module via forscan but its a skimpy program that makes a file but i dont know whats in it

Members online

No members online now.
Back