Radio Problem

THEMOJOMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 95 Mark,,,garage kept,,only used ocassionaly,,,46,676 miles. Couple days ago coming from a Doctors apt radio was in AM suddenly started crackling and popping super bad. I was near some heavy road construction,,lotta welders,,,figured that was it,,,shut it off,,,1/2 hour later in Walmart parking lot it worked fine for 10mins,,THEN BOOM crackling and popping was back,,Big Time. HELP.

I have a 95 Mark,,,garage kept,,only used ocassionaly,,,46,676 miles. Couple days ago coming from a Doctors apt radio was in AM suddenly started crackling and popping super bad. I was near some heavy road construction,,lotta welders,,,figured that was it,,,shut it off,,,1/2 hour later in Walmart parking lot it worked fine for 10mins,,THEN BOOM crackling and popping was back,,Big Time. HELP.

I believe this is the start of a failing amplifier.

Here near Tampa we have a place that gets auto radios from all over,,,dealers,,etc etc. They put a switch in for me once 4-5 yrs ago. Should I take it to them? They say they're the largest in the country with 100 employees,,,they have a sister place in Mich. Gotta look up the name ,,misplaced it.

When you install a new radio you will be bypassing the old amp. It's old technology and there's no reason to keep it. New head units have better quality than the amps of 20 years ago.

I don't think the amp is in the radio. I believe it is in the trunk behind the rear seats on top.

To get the radio out you have to insert a thick hanger that doesn't bend or get the ford tool to remove it. You put the hanger in all four hole (about 2 inches in) and pull to the sides on both sides. This moves the tabs that into the radio so you can pull it out. And yes, you have to do all 4 at the same time.

here is a youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j4gBrDuVGo

When you install a new radio you will be bypassing the old amp. It's old technology and there's no reason to keep it. New head units have better quality than the amps of 20 years ago.

Do you have to remove the amp when you do that? AND if I just replace the amp where's a good source for that,,,This is just my ocassional ride,,,going somewhere special,,,I just need the radio to work. I'm retired in my 70s. 50yrs ago my head was under a hood 24/7. Have had many cars & trucks.

If it only does it in a.m I doubt it's the amp. If it does it in a.m,fm and cd/cassette then it very well could be it. The amp is on a tray underneath the rear package shelf. If it's anything like a gen 2 you'll have to remove the rear seats and shelf cover to access the screws holding the amp tray. Once you see it remove a couple plugs and you're done.

The amp can be found on ebay, people parting out cars on here (racebonco2 on here comes to mind) or the mark viii marketplace on facebook. There are a couple different variations of it so be sure you get one for your specific year.

If it only does it in a.m I doubt it's the amp. If it does it in a.m,fm and cd/cassette then it very well could be it. The amp is on a tray underneath the rear package shelf. If it's anything like a gen 2 you'll have to remove the rear seats and shelf cover to access the screws holding the amp tray. Once you see it remove a couple plugs and you're done.

The amp can be found on ebay, people parting out cars on here (racebonco2 on here comes to mind) or the mark viii marketplace on facebook. There are a couple different variations of it so be sure you get one for your specific year.

Thanks Man.. My mechanic up North thinks LKQ has one near him. I really appreciate all your interest. I''ll keep you posted. If anything else comes to mind let me know. By the way my username is actually my Radio Career name,,,since 1959,,trademarked for radio & TV. I help write the book of R&R themojoman.com webpage PS That racebonco how do I get there?

If it's like the 94's you don't need to remove the back seat and the nuts, you just remove the push pins and the driver side large pin/clip and the tray will lower down at an angle, hinged on the passenger side.

If it's like the 94's you don't need to remove the back seat and the nuts, you just remove the push pins and the driver side large pin/clip and the tray will lower down at an angle, hinged on the passenger side.

Can you explain further? You mean in front driver's door? Do you have a picture? Do you sit in the back seat to do this??

Can you explain further? You mean in front driver's door? Do you have a picture? Do you sit in the back seat to do this??

No, he meant on the drivers side portion of the tray in the trunk. :p

This is all irrelevant if your 95 is different but....

Once you remove "push pins and the driver side large pin/clip and the tray will lower down at an angle"....

It is hinged on the passenger side of the tray.

I have replaced the JBL amp in my '96, and it was in fact very simple. It is attached to a large plastic tray under the back deck in the trunk, and if my memory serves me correctly, it was one large connector and loom, and a second smaller one, and it came right out at me. I replaced mine with a unit out of a '97, which apparently is identical equipment, because my system currently works exactly as it should. Of course, the factory head unit is sourced from a '97 car as well though. Who knows. These older JBL amps do go bad, and they are dated by today's technology, but I opted to keep the car as original as I could, and just replaced the amp. The factory sound is still excellent to me anyway, so I never had any complaints. $65 for a replacement amplifier was really not much of a deal breaker for me. Ebay should be rife with them.

This is all irrelevant if your 95 is different but....

Once you remove "push pins and the driver side large pin/clip and the tray will lower down at an angle"....

It is hinged on the passenger side of the tray.

Thanks Gotcha. I did try it in FM (don't use the cassette or cd player) and it does DISTORT SUPER BAD in FM also,,,as you asked before. Now if I can just get my young friend over to help me,,,as I told you I'm battling a severe UTI plus recuperating from a complete knee operation,,,pretty much healed but still some swelling,,,don't want to set myself back. Seems like the stupid ODD stuff happens to me. My PU has a brake line leak,,,line that runs from MS to rear end "small" leak where it does a 90. AND just today the door knob that's in the door going out into the garage,,locks itself,,had to put extra key in so as not to lock ourselves out of house. It just does it sporadically,,,gotta get one at Lowes,,FANCY but really it's junk,,,have replaced it about 8 yrs ago. All our door knobs match. Thank You Love your Mark,,,I love that color. First Mark I ever saw years ago was that Toreador Red. Thanks again.

I have replaced the JBL amp in my '96, and it was in fact very simple. It is attached to a large plastic tray under the back deck in the trunk, and if my memory serves me correctly, it was one large connector and loom, and a second smaller one, and it came right out at me. I replaced mine with a unit out of a '97, which apparently is identical equipment, because my system currently works exactly as it should. Of course, the factory head unit is sourced from a '97 car as well though. Who knows. These older JBL amps do go bad, and they are dated by today's technology, but I opted to keep the car as original as I could, and just replaced the amp. The factory sound is still excellent to me anyway, so I never had any complaints. $65 for a replacement amplifier was really not much of a deal breaker for me. Ebay should be rife with them.
Thanks for your info. I feel the same way about "original",,BUT I guess we have to change when used supplies out there run out. Sometimes I can't believe how stupid the mfgrs. are. Why not make that same AMP work in all the Ford stuff for those years. I've never understood why they (all of them) can't uniform many things. Like Batteries there should be a "small" "medium" and "large". Same with radiators. They could make more money and sell more vehicles cheaper. Don't get me started on the "Air Rides"... An older friend up North didn't know about conversions and spent $3200 having all four wheels rebuilt on a Town Car. When I told him about conversion kits,,I thought he was gonna cry. He asked me did I think that the garage that did his car knows about conv. kits. I told him Hell Yes. My MarkVIII only has 46,676 miles on it ,,,It's an occasional driver,,we have 2 PUs,,not new,,few years old,,Chevys,,,My air ride works fine,,BUT I'm thinking of buying a conversion kit and just keep it on the side.

I worry about warranty on eBay.

Thanks so much. I've figured out it has to be the AMP,,,now with my medical condition,,complete knee replacement operation,,getting someone to get it out of the trunk. If you know anyone that might have one let me know. Thanks again.
I don't think the amp is in the radio. I believe it is in the trunk behind the rear seats on top.

To get the radio out you have to insert a thick hanger that doesn't bend or get the ford tool to remove it. You put the hanger in all four hole (about 2 inches in) and pull to the sides on both sides. This moves the tabs that into the radio so you can pull it out. And yes, you have to do all 4 at the same time.

here is a youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j4gBrDuVGo

Members online

No members online now.
Back