Radio Display Not Lit

Majdelboy

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a used 2000 Lincoln LS for a good price. But, one of the problems is that the radio display is not working (blank), but the radio and cassette working fine. The SEL and Balance/Fade switch is also not working.
Could it be a fuse problem ? or do I need to replace the unit ?

Note, I also don't have a CD changer plugged in (not working).

Any help would be appreciated....txs.

Majdelboy said:
Hi,

I just bought a used 2000 Lincoln LS for a good price. But, one of the problems is that the radio display is not working (blank), but the radio and cassette working fine. The SEL and Balance/Fade switch is also not working.
Could it be a fuse problem ? or do I need to replace the unit ?

Note, I also don't have a CD changer plugged in (not working).

Any help would be appreciated....txs.
there isn't a seperate fuse just for the things you discribe. are the fade/balance controls not working - ro just not lit?

could be:
- the wiring harness is not plugged in all the way - maybe they had a different stereo unit in there and replaced the stock when they sold it.
- if it's just the lights in the unit - check that the dash lighting brightness is turned up - believe it or not - many folks accidently turned down the dimmer and the stereo goes dimmer faster than the rest of the dash

Majdelboy said:
The Fade/Balance are not working.

Thanks...
if you can hear music out of the speakers - but the fade/balance isn't working - it sounds like:
- head unit is bad -or-
- the current unit isn't wired in properly

Can you pull out the head unit and check to see if the unit's been re-wired back into the car?

If it all looks stock then must be a bad head unit.
If it looks like someone re-wired it back together (maybe after replacing an aftermarket unit) we may be able to figure out if they mis-wired it.

Hi,

I re-checked it all and it looks like the balance/fade, bass/treb are working OK. I checked that the dash lighting is turned up and the radio display is still blank.

Thanks for helping out...much appreciated.

You should be able to get a good deal on a factory head unit on eBay, or go for aftermarket. They have kits to fit a regular aftermarket head units in our cars. Check out www.crutchfield.com

I say upgrade the radio, it sounds so much better. But thats just my opinion.

the DC to Dc coverters in many of the Ford OEM radios go bad casuing just the lights to go out. The dealer will only replace the radio. I have never had my audiophile out of my dash so I can't tell you what the dc to dc converter would look like in the LS.

I have repaired numerous radios in Ford Explorers and it basically only required a resolder of the joints around a few resistors. I think the heat of the DC/DC thermally degenerates the solder to the point of it will no longer conduct.

You can search the web and will more than likely find some shops that will fix it for around 150 dollars. If you feel adventerous you can take it out of the dash and remove the top plate of the radio and any other access panels and take some digital photos; send them to me and I can ID the parts for. In some cases I did have to resolder some joints on the back of the LCD/Face plate but it is a snap if you have a stead hand. You will need a 15watt soldering iron, some sliver ball solder and some solder wick.

or you can buy a new HU for the car and send me your HU. I would try to fix it for you and document the steps for our fellow LS owners.

Hi,

I will just replace the HU (if the price is right) or just live with the problem. If I replace it then I will look to send you the unit.
Thanks for all your help fellows.

Majdelboy said:
Hi,

I will just replace the HU (if the price is right) or just live with the problem. If I replace it then I will look to send you the unit.
Thanks for all your help fellows.

Please keep me in mind. I will even pay for the ground shipping. I really would like a shot at fixing this HU and documenting so that other LS owners can have a shot a fixing theirs.

Members online

Back