Radiator Cooling fan question

zero18

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
02 Lincoln LS (V6) 140K Miles

when I turn on the AC the fan comes on in about 10 seconds but it comes on full speed and never slows down.
If I turn off the car, turn off AC, start car, fan is normal until AC is turned on then back to full speed.
checked Freon @ 35PSI @ 70 Degrees.

any suggestions??
Thanks in advance!

...any suggestions??
Thanks in advance!

Works as designed.
(Note that if you wait long enough, the fan speed will come back down several minutes after turning the AC off, if the engine is not too hot. Also note, it is not a full speed. Unless you've had the engine start to overheat, you've never experienced full fan speed.)

Yeah, Joe ain't kidding. With your fan on full speed it sounds like an airlplane turbine.

that how it sounds...
but to update, it seems like it doesn't happen below 70 degress.
once outside temp is around 73 degress plus it happens. I have had the car since 03 and it never does that.
I have had the radiator replaced about 2 months ago.

I was going by the gauge, but it cant be over heating within 30 seconds of a cold startup

True enough. Where is the gauge 30 seconds after startup? Is the climate control on? (Note that the PCM reads the high side pressure, not the low side pressure.)
A good OBDII scan tool would let you see what temperatures the PCM is reading.

True enough. Where is the gauge 30 seconds after startup? Is the climate control on? (Note that the PCM reads the high side pressure, not the low side pressure.)
A good OBDII scan tool would let you see what temperatures the PCM is reading.

gauge not moved in 30 seconds.
if ac is on.. fan goes to high - if ac is off.. all is normal

Members online

Back