Radar/Laser Detector

1_XLR

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
looking for the best unit money can buy
(yes, another F'n ticket 110 in a 55 :slam )

going on my XLR
front/rear sensors in dash display
Need some suggestions please
:feedback

It depends: I LOVE my V1 (with remote display), and i wouldnt trade it for anything. And dont be afraid of the price, its more than worth the $400. BUT, if you are worried about getting hit with laser, then i would go Passport 8500, and a ZR3 laser shifter. In this case, you'll only pay $300 (or less) for the 8500, but the ZR3 addon goes for 500-600.

At the store if work for (TAS Electronics) everyone has an 8500, they all swear by them (probably because we carry them).
As a test (after i was called crazy for spending 500 on the detecter and remote) I took my V1 and put it on the same windshield as an 8500 in my friends car. Durring startup, the 8500 gave me a little "false alarm", but it quickly went away. Sesitivity wise, the 8500 came close, but the V1 always picked up first (a few hundred feet). False alarm wise (city) the V1 kicks ass. Not only can you set two different volume levels (in logic mode), but you also know what band, strength, and DIRECTION the radar is coming from. Combine all of this with the V1's bogey counter, and even an idiot could tell a false alarm from a cop (or speed sign).

Now, as for the ZR3 Shifter...if you want this integrated with your radar, you must have the 8500, it will not work with the V1. But, it will work stand alone. Havent had much personal experience with these (only installed maybe 2 of them) but the guys i work with claim they work very well. you have 2 seperate front rear sensors.

So, in conclusion... if you are in the city most of the time, V1 for sure. If you are on the highway mostly, get the 8500/ZR3. Or if you have REALLY deep pockets, go with both, haha.

Last edited:
mikepietras04 said:
. Or if you have REALLY deep pockets, go with both, haha.
I will have REALLY deep pockets when I loose my license and have to sell the car. thanks for the info

Members online

No members online now.
Back