Quick welding question for the knowledgeable..

FASTLLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I will be building my intake for the SC in the next few weeks.. I want to somehow use something similar to JB Weld (if it can be used great) to 'mock' up my setup and I will take it to someone to get it TIG welded (I have a friend that has been in the trade for 40 years and his welds are superior)..

So for the real question.. What type of adhesive can I use to 'mock' up my setup that won't contaminate the weld?

I'm no pro at this but a fast set epoxy would hold it together. Also should be easy to take back apart and scrap off. The metal would still need to be cleaned well. Jb well imo would hold way to much when its time to remove. Good luck

If you want to break the pieces apart again before welding them, none of those "permanent" solutions will work for you.

Personally, I'd leave the pieces alone and just tell him what/where you want the welds. I'm sure he has a clamp or two lying around his shop...?

That's the problem.. I think once it's fabbed up, it should go strait to welding if at all possible.. Without disassembly I mean..

If you want to break the pieces apart again before welding them, none of those "permanent" solutions will work for you.

Personally, I'd leave the pieces alone and just tell him what/where you want the welds. I'm sure he has a clamp or two lying around his shop...?

He does.. But there is going to be a lot of complex turns and sh!t.. I asked the company of the linked epoxy about weld contamination so we'll see on that one..

That's a tall order if you are looking to tig weld right over the glue. Mark all pieces in a few spots so when the glue or epoxy is removed it can be located for welding. If there is a special glue that can be welded in with the metal I would like to know as well. Almost like a flux adhesive.

get you some big pieces of styrofoam and cut it so that it snugly fits into your tubing. use it as a coupler. then mark every part with a sharpie with a line across the joint and a matching number on either piece. then all you have to do is match the numbers and lines up when you get to the welders. and tada you have a perfect match on everything.

what are you trying to build on to it. and masking tape works pretty well. as well as it is non-permanent

There is no such alum glue that can hold parts together and be welded over. All alum parts need to be WIRE brushed to bright before TIGing. No sanding the parts that will leave contaminats. Also any glue or epoxy would have to 100% be removed to a shiny alum. You may think you got it all out but the heat from welding will wick it out of joints. Any 90 degree angle joint will be all most imposible to wire wheel out glue. I make fixtures all the time to tig parts together that I don't want to move.

Thanks for the responses.. I guess my only bet would be to buy a stick and tack it together..

If your refering to a stick welder that won't work either. They don't make alum welding rods for stick welders. And anything but TIG welding, your Tig welding friend will curse you. I have heard of this certain alum rod that "welds" alum but not really its more of a braze. No melting of the base metal.

What's a COP? Should I replace all 8 at once?

Sick threadjack.

If your refering to a stick welder that won't work either. They don't make alum welding rods for stick welders. And anything but TIG welding, your Tig welding friend will curse you. I have heard of this certain alum rod that "welds" alum but not really its more of a braze. No melting of the base metal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370436450098#ht_1234wt_905

My local hardware shop has 'better' ones.. I guess it all depends on how I can set it up.. Maybe I can have him weld the bottom half and I can build in 'layers'.. Only problem is that my project will take 3x longer.. But I do want it done right..

What's a COP? Should I replace all 8 at once?

Sick threadjack.

It's ok.. I jack everyone else's threads so I deserve some payback.. ;)

Never saw those before. But I guess if you have a TIG you stay with that. I would like to hear how those work out with pics. Keep us posted.

Just googled those KT welding rods and they look to be the same as the "alumiweld" rods I was talking about. They are a low melt alloy. You can even use these with gas. I just wonder how they will interact with the TIG welding to be done or are you ganna do whole thing with those?

I think I'm going to walk away and leave it to the pro.. I'll build up, week by week, adding more until my fabbing is done.. It all depends how things sit when I set it on the heads.. This is my winter project so there really isn't a hurry.. Just wanted to be able to take some winter pics

Members online

Back