Quick Question..

StackZzz LS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Aye guys.. been gone awhile but im back with a quick question.. i just bout a 1999 lincoln towncar signature series.. (1800 bucks culdnt beat it) i think i may have lifter tick on it tho.. It only happens when warmed up. When its cold its quiet as can be.. So my question is... if i use thicker oil will that quiet the ticking down? Ive read that it ticks because the oil is thinner when hot thats why its not ticking when cold.. Any comments are apreciated. (and yes i kno this is the LS section but the towncar section is dead over there.. and ive seen repeated post by guys who know there stuff over here so thats why im asking..):cool:

I wouldn't use a thicker oil to mask a potential problem. Ford injectors are notoriously noisy.

I wouldn't use a thicker oil to mask a potential problem. Ford injectors are notoriously noisy.

Everywhere ive been to (including Lincoln) has told me its a lifter tick.. and while they say its not that big of a deal, i cannot deal with this damn tapping. I had jus read that a thicker oil may be ok because of the milage. 137k

Fast.. Whats up man.. And What about it only happening when warmed up tho? wuldnt injectors be constant regardless of temp?

Is it that loud that you can hear it in the cabin or just outside? I know I can hear a ticking noise when the TC is running but it is only noticeable if your hood is open and you are close to the engine. Never noticed if it changes between when it is cold or warm. BTW it would help if you listed "town car" on the subject.

You know.. Same same.. STILL waiting on that awesome machine shop.. *sighs*

It could be the injectors.. My LS does it when warm.. They tick probably because the parts inside get heated and the result is loud when the pintle/valve seats..

Stackzzz glad to see you back man, i was wondering what happened to you.

Any new mods to the LS? you should have spent the $1800 on some wheels :p

@mark.. Only when outside other than when i let off the throttle.. thats the only way i can hear it inside.. @ Fast.. boy i thought ud be running 12s by now.. lol. @ mlara.. thanks bro... the Ls is "Under Construction" rite now.. lol..

Hopefully they'll have something done by next week.. I really want the intake adapters.. The rest, they can sit on for a couple of weeks..

Under construction how so? Deats?

My 0.02, if its irritating to you AND you can hear it in the car; it is a lifter tick.

Second, your right other poster was correct about masking the problem. You could either A) Adjust it or fix it or B) Go with Hyperlube at your local autoparts store. It's very thick sh*t, and is a quality product. Whether it works noticeably on your problem or not, is the gamble.

@hot.. Ill check into that.. @ Fast.. no it cuts out when i hit the throttle bro.. its not a rod.. lol. And ill send u some prelim shots on the LS...

Hmmm.. a v-8 with a dual overhead cam.. or a quad cam?

...regardless.. get a hose or mechanics stethoscope and pinpoint it out.
..I can't remember the last time an injector was so loud I could hear it inside the car. :jester:

/thread.

Your noise may be from a somewhat sludged-up engine. You might try something such as Bardahl in the oil and then drive it a little 'briskly' for a couple hundred miles. Then do an oil change!

KS

Where you been???

Hibernating.. lol.. naw i was doing a lil promo tour for my company.
Your noise may be from a somewhat sludged-up engine. You might try something such as Bardahl in the oil and then drive it a little 'briskly' for a couple hundred miles. Then do an oil change!

KS

I tried that risodene :q:q:q:q.. or whatever its called and it didnt seem to help.. Ill try that out tho.. ppl were saying mmo is good too.. idk..

Members online

No members online now.
Back