Quick question help please

On the same topic what would you say the best Synthetic oil would be? Was thinking the Mobil 1 5W/20. Any input?

DTCBob said:
On the same topic what would you say the best Synthetic oil would be? Was thinking the Mobil 1 5W/20. Any input?
I use the Walmart Supertech brand full synthetic. That stuff is by far the best price for a good synthetic.

there are 1000000000000 threads on this already - why do we need another 'what do you use for oil' thread? .......................................................................................................................

speaking of oil. I have a question that has been bothering me for 2 years. I did the first 6 oil changes on my LS 6cyl 5spd. each time the car took 6 quarts of oil as expected. (mobil 1 syn 10w30). When it was time for the 7th oil change I had warranty work being done at the dealer. So I tossed 6 quarts of mobil 1 in the trunk and an oil filter and asked them to do the oil change using the oil supplied. When they called to tell me the car was done they told me they used the 6 quarts but it still needed a half a quart. So I bought an extra quart and added half of it before leaving the dealer. I figured some monkey in the garage spilled half a quart and they didn't want to tell me what really happened. But ever since then I have had to add an extra 1/2 quart (6 1/2 total) for every oil change. any ideas? I'm using the same size filter every time. The only thing I can think of is they switched up my dipstick with another dipstick. I'll have to compare dipsticks with another LS? does anyone know if the 6cyl and the 8cyl have the same size dipsticks? Also how about the 6 cyl auto and the 6 cyl 5spd? Thanks

what kind of mechanic would notice a car needs an extra ½ quart of oil and not try to figure out why. It can’t be coincidence that this happened during the only time the dealer did an oil change

jokken said:
speaking of oil. I have a question that has been bothering me for 2 years. I did the first 6 oil changes on my LS 6cyl 5spd. each time the car took 6 quarts of oil as expected. (mobil 1 syn 10w30). When it was time for the 7th oil change I had warranty work being done at the dealer. So I tossed 6 quarts of mobil 1 in the trunk and an oil filter and asked them to do the oil change using the oil supplied. When they called to tell me the car was done they told me they used the 6 quarts but it still needed a half a quart. So I bought an extra quart and added half of it before leaving the dealer. I figured some monkey in the garage spilled half a quart and they didn't want to tell me what really happened. But ever since then I have had to add an extra 1/2 quart (6 1/2 total) for every oil change. any ideas? I'm using the same size filter every time. The only thing I can think of is they switched up my dipstick with another dipstick. I'll have to compare dipsticks with another LS? does anyone know if the 6cyl and the 8cyl have the same size dipsticks? Also how about the 6 cyl auto and the 6 cyl 5spd? Thanks

what kind of mechanic would notice a car needs an extra ½ quart of oil and not try to figure out why. It can’t be coincidence that this happened during the only time the dealer did an oil change

All V6 LSes take 6.7 quarts. It's in the owners manual. The dealer should know that.

LS4me said:
All V6 LSes take 6.7 quarts. It's in the owners manual. The dealer should know that.
Exactly. Its not an exact science with the dipstick otherwise it would be called something different.:N Odds are what you have been reading as full and what the tech at the dealer read as full are two different things. In this case the dealer was more accurate putting that extra 1/2 quart in.

LS4me said:

hmm I am confused. I felt pretty stupid after reading this until last weekend I finally rememebered to double check my manual. My 00 manual says 6 quarts (5.7 liters) for both the 8cyl and 6 cyl engines. i guess my manual is wrong then and i've been misled?

just wanted to bump this thread,

so guys my manual is wrong I should be using more oil that it says?

Members online

No members online now.
Back