Quick question about a 97 i found

350TPI

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I just came across a blue base 97 thats REALLY cheap.Its 4 hours away but the air ride is out and its in its lowest positon.I was wondering if you guys thought it would be a bad idea to drive it 275-300 miles like that to get it home?

I drove mine home about 15 miles.... scariest 15 miles I ever drove.... it starts bouncing and the steering gets real crazy.... then I was doing like 65 on the hwy and there was a huge dip.... i nailed that with something underneath sparks and concrete went flying up behind me.... Tow it home you might kill yourself.

I drove mine home about 15 miles.... scariest 15 miles I ever drove.... it starts bouncing and the steering gets real crazy.... then I was doing like 65 on the hwy and there was a huge dip.... i nailed that with something underneath sparks and concrete went flying up behind me.... Tow it home you might kill yourself.

+1 Same thing happened to me on my BLACK on BLACK '96!!! Drove it about 15 miles and will never do it again!!!

You can drive it and its actually fun. But the strain that you are placing on the ball joints and and strut towers is not safe at all.
I would not do it more than a few miles and thats on smooth roads.

I drove mine for about 15 seconds at 35mph after it decided to randomly release all the air in the bags right before a set of rough rr tracks.. Road like sh!t and scared the crap out of me..Worse feeling in my car ever.

Dont drive it!!!... I bought mine in CA and drove it back to Phoenix and did not know the air ride was bad until I got on the high way and the front went to the ground but at least the back stayed up. Still not a fun drive back. I would not do it again if could avoid it.

put a chunk of pressure treated 2x4 on the top of all 4 control arms, jack the car up, place wood on tops of control arms, let jack down, it will still ride hard, but at least you are not killing the ball joints, let air out of the tires to like 25 psi and they will absorb some of the blow. i wouldnt leave it like this, but for the trip sure, i have done it for a far ride, its not fun, but alot better than being slammed and driving.

Thanks for the advice guys.I will be calling the guy tomorrow and hopefully i can make some kind of plan to go get her.

I drove my old 94 on no front air ride for about 6-700mi. It was rather unpleasant, but I made it back just fine. If you try it, just give yourself PLENTY of time to stop, because trying to brake when the front tires are bouncing over bumps doesn't work very well.

Members online

Back