quick noob question

whosmikebyrd

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
how do i take this piece off? im doing my vcg and coils and plugs the works.

engine coils pik help.JPG

nvm about that one i figured it out it was just being stubborn. now that i have all the bolts lose the cover is still stuck. do all the bolts come out completely? i can move the cover up 1/2 an inch but it wont come out all the way.what else can be holding it?

lhcoils help.JPG

i know right? lol im learning. i have yet another question. what do i clean exactly when im in there? the plastic cover, wells and what else? also where exactly i put the dieletric grease i read the tips of the coils( do i take off the rubber part to coat spring how much grease)? what about the spark plugs? the YELLOW parts have oil but dont know if u should clean them since theyre close to mechanical parts which im sure need the oil on them.

pcoveroff.jpg

haha... next time try it before you ask.

LOL thats what im afraid of trying something means 50% chance im gonna break it. rather be 100% sure i already dropped thousands fixing this car now trying it myself dont want to spend more fixing it for careless mistakes :D

Yes, pull the boots off of the coils. Put some dielectric grease around the plastic part of the coil that the boot slides over. Put some grease on the inside of the boot where it goes over the spark plug. It's also good to put some around the insulator of the spark plug.

It seems that many don't understand the purpose of the dielectric grease. It is used to make a good air and water tight, non-conductive seal around the boot, to prevent arching. The grease is an insulator. It shouldn't be used on the spring inside the boot, or on the metal part of the spark plug. You want conductivity there, not insulation. (Yes, it usually still works if you put some between the spring and the plug, but that's in-spite-of, not because-of the grease that it works.

what about this, i was placing the new vcg on and i noticed that they're SEVEN O rings when my ls has SIX where does this extra and larger O ring go? also i noticed one of my bolts is a lil different from the others its shorter where would this one go? i thought they were all the same. thanks again guys for reading this.

ls coil resized 3.JPG

ls bolt resize 4.JPG

hmm so its junk for my 1st gen car? also that bolt should it matter where i put that thing im ready just to slap that thing where it fits lol

thanks to everyone who helped me out and the people who wrote the instructions. finished my first major job (to me) on the ls8. everything seems to be working fine changed coils plugs and vcg no more shakes or hesitations.:cool:

Members online

No members online now.
Back