Quick ecm question.

Missing Linc'

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What ECM do the Gen2's use? Trying to figure it out to see if other flash tuners can be used and I really wanna know so I can see if a Megasquirt piggyback system will work, thanks

IMHO - The days of the piggy-back systems seems to have passed. Almost no one uses these types of systems anymore - since the flash tuning market has successfully reversed engineered the stock PCM - you can modify most of the parameters you need.

if you're building a race car, with a gutted shell and need a stand-alone engine management system - then that's where these seem to make sense. That's in a car that doesn't use most of the factory stuff - dash, SRS, ...etc.

If you are going to go that deep yourself - take a look at -> http://www.sctflash.com/PRPFord.php

But to answer your question - I do not know the model of the Gen2 PCM, is was (IB) the first of the Ford CAN enabled PCMs, but not sure how much in common it has with other Ford products.

the newer ford PCM's from 96 and up..are LIGHTYEARS ahead of Megasquirt.

why would you want to take a 20 year step backwards in technology?

hell the ford benneton indy car from the 80;s-90's used an EEC IV processor running 16 injectors at over 13K RPM.
Ford PCM's are very robust.

Now if you wanted to build a Megasquirt to convert a carbed car to EFI that would be a different story and you wouldn't be "going backwards" in technology.

So does anyone know what ECM we use or what program? Anything? I have the part number for the ECM itself but the dealership couldnt even tell me anything :rolleyes:

Members online

Back