Quick Alternator Question

mr_myko

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 ls v6 with a h/o custom built alternator, would this same alternator fit and work on a ls v8 2nd gen? I plan on buying a v8 2nd gen ls in the near future and was just wondering. So I could save money on not without having to buy another custom alternator.

The V8 one:
8256-220-1.jpg

The V6 one (Bolts from the side):
8255-220-2.jpg

I hate where the alternator is at on the V8.

awww damn :Bang, i will have to buy another h/o output alternator when i get the v8 version of the ls, thanx for everybody who helped me out

To check alt output, you need to put it on a lift and all this crap.. Other guys just open the hood and hook up the amp clamp.. lol

does anyone know if the later model higher output alternators will 'bolt right in' to the older generation cars? My '02 ls is overheating at low speeds and i suspect hydraulic fan malfunction .; I am going to add an aftermarket electric fan but have been told the stock alternator is too wimpy to push one

To my limited knowledge, I think the Gen 1 and Gen 2 alternators had different signaling from the PCM. It's not just straight voltage reference like one would hope.

I've been running the Napa alternator with an overdrive pulley and the stock Gen 2 fan (which is a massive hog) without big problems. There is a definite voltage sag at idle, but everything is working OK.
I've had two defective DB alternators. Don't know if anyone has tried the motor city (something like that...) one.
Much more info in my alternator thread and my fan swap thread

To check alt output, you need to put it on a lift and all this crap.. Other guys just open the hood and hook up the amp clamp.. lol

Yea I am so jealous of pretty much any GM car... They all have alts mounted up top with tons of clearance...

jesus, somebody is compensating for something with their sig picture :shifty:

One of the few things I miss about my 97 Mark... Belts, alternator, idler pulleys, all super easy to work with.

they do however make up for how easy some thing are to do, with a bunch of other stuff that has to be maintained as well :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.
Back