Questions about Lighting Laws

beechcraft11

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
before i get some of this done, i wanna be sure if 1. replacing all the amber lights on my car to clear ones and 2. if tinting the rear tailights the same color as my car is legal. does anybody know? i live in kansas if that matters.

Even though i am in Florida i can give you some answers that can help explain your questions. First off you have DOT requirements which affect you regardless of what state your in. DOT specs are a orange turn signal and an orange REFLECTOR in the front. Now people get away with the orange turn signal by removing the orange lense but installing an orange bulb. Next the orange light on the bumper is more that just a light its also a reflector. The key is it needs to stay in a capacity which it still REFLECTS. Painting or putting clear ones in then removes the reflector aspect of it. Its not just about the color of the light at nighttime. Next, the taillights. Same sort of deal. They need to display a red color when illuminated which if they are tinted they will still show red light thru the tint. It also requires that the brake light have on each side a red reflector, so if you tint your tails then you lose the reflector aspect of it again. The reflector is the key point to this whole thing. Lets say your car is parked on the side of a street and is turned off. An oncoming cars headlight would reflect off the non-illuminated taillight therfore signaling the cars presence. If no reflector is there and a car hits your car....your the loser in that case. Not to mention with those mods you just give the police a 24 hr a day reason to perform a traffic stop. Who really needs that kind of pressure.

Here is a link to the legal mumbo jumbo:
http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-statutes/getStatute.do?number=2075
You can scroll back and forth to read the laws regarding each aspect of lighting.

And if I'm not mistaken, don't the reflector colors have to be specific to the front and rear of the car? i.e. orange in front, red in rear or something like that?

You would probably not ever get hassled for the changes you want to make. But it would provide someone with some "ammo" against you if you were in an accident.

2001LS8Sport said:
And if I'm not mistaken, don't the reflector colors have to be specific to the front and rear of the car? i.e. orange in front, red in rear or something like that?

You would probably not ever get hassled for the changes you want to make. But it would provide someone with some "ammo" against you if you were in an accident.
Yes your right, its orange in front and red to the rear. The taillights also need a red reflector which tinting them would eliminate.

FWIW, I was able to go through our state inspection here in NJ with the amber lenses removed from the headlights, and the clear corner lenses in the bumper.

Whatever the law, the real answer is, "If it attracts attention to your car, you are at risk for a ticket".

If your lights are dim, that draws attention.

If they are way too bright or a strange color, that draws attention.

If you lights make you look like a police vehicle...

You get the picture.

Subtle changes are usually ignored or "let slide". The ones that jump out at you are just waiting to be noticed by an officer having a slow day.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Jim Henderson said:
Whatever the law, the real answer is, "If it attracts attention to your car, you are at risk for a ticket".

If your lights are dim, that draws attention.

If they are way too bright or a strange color, that draws attention.

If you lights make you look like a police vehicle...

You get the picture.

Subtle changes are usually ignored or "let slide". The ones that jump out at you are just waiting to be noticed by an officer having a slow day.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Well said...and so very true.

Speaking of lighting laws, I actually got pulled over last night cause I came up on a cop (within 200ft) with my fog lights on. The Cop pulled over, then followed me a bit & then turned his lights on. Biggest waste of time! Even took my DL, Registration & Isurance & wrote me a warning. So gay.

Macoffutt said:
Speaking of lighting laws, I actually got pulled over last night cause I came up on a cop (within 200ft) with my fog lights on. The Cop pulled over, then followed me a bit & then turned his lights on. Biggest waste of time! Even took my DL, Registration & Isurance & wrote me a warning. So gay.

Should have said your windows were foggy.:p

TheRebel said:
You can get pulled over for driving with your fogs on??

my cousin actually got a ticket for them being on when it wasnt foggy. improper use. :confused: I know truckers hate foglights also. I usually leave mine off unless needed.

Members online

No members online now.
Back