Question: Why do you think MY Gas Mileage is so low?

FabolingLS8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i have a 2003 LSV8 Sport and everytime i fill up i check the message center. However i get a horrible response. It says that i have around 275 miles til empty. How depressing is that? Yes i use 93 Octane(91+), and i usually always follow the speed limit on roads(It's the best way to get the most out of your mileage imo).

So any ideas of why this is happening? What can i do to make this better? hopefully my LS isnt efffed up :( :L

DO you ever do interstate or highway driving? last summer i was only getting about 240-260 a tank but that was strictly in town driving. this year ive been in california and have been getting around 300-310 a tank because i do most my driving on the interstate now. either way this is not a gas efficient car so you shouldnt expect numbers like the ones you see from a honda or what not.

Mine usually says 240-250 to empty when its full, so don't feel bad.

If you want better mileage, get lead foot reduction surgery. :p

I get 325 when full and when I drive freeway/highway only I can get 400 til empty :-D

i have a 2003 LSV8 Sport and everytime i fill up i check the message center. However i get a horrible response. It says that i have around 275 miles til empty. How depressing is that? Yes i use 93 Octane(91+), and i usually always follow the speed limit on roads(It's the best way to get the most out of your mileage imo).

So any ideas of why this is happening? What can i do to make this better? hopefully my LS isnt efffed up :( :L

How does it run and how many miles? Feel any loss in power?

no i do not feel any loss in power. everything works fine. the reason i started this thread is because ive seen in previous posts that people on this site get over 350 miles on a full tank. Im sorry but that is something to be jealous about.

so based on the answers so far, i have another question? does the computer in the car adapt to your daily driving habits and then process however miles it thinks you have, or does it follow a standard setting?

no i do not feel any loss in power. everything works fine. the reason i started this thread is because ive seen in previous posts that people on this site get over 350 miles on a full tank. Im sorry but that is something to be jealous about.

so based on the answers so far, i have another question? does the computer in the car adapt to your daily driving habits and then process however miles it thinks you have, or does it follow a standard setting?

yes mine is usually 345 till empty, but my combination of hwy and city net me about 19.5mpg what is yours?

mine usually says around 14-15mpg. i guess i do drive a lot around the city. i aslo always fill up with Shell gasoline. I use their Vpower(the highest grade). Does that make a difference?

Also, are the people in the 350 range talkin about their V6 Ls's? that would be more reasonable.

I think people in the 350 mile range just to more hwy driving than you do. But even then, unless your mashing the gas all time, it seems you should get a little better than that.

In my v8 I get about 350 per tank, I drive probably 75% city and 25% hwy speeds, I'm pretty happy with my results.
The v6 doesn't get much better mileage, for most drivers.
As for the computer figureing out your miles till empty, I believe it uses the average over the last 500 miles.

I just went 420 miles on a tank of 93 in my 2002 V8 LSE. Probably 80% freeway and 20% city. However, most of my commutes include some sections of bumper to bumper traffic as well which would be similar to city driving. I averaged 24 MPG on that tank.

During the winter months, I average 18-19 MPG. The cold up here in MN makes it take quite a while for the engine to reach optimal temperature.

I saw a 2-3 mpg increase after I replaced all coils, plugs, and VCGs last summer. I would start with replacing plugs and fuel filter to see if you can get a boost in mpg.

my tank was a little less than full and it had 290 till empty and i took my battery to autozone zone because I thought it was going bad. Well when i put it back on it jumped to 330

I have put nearly 10000 miles on my 2006 and before that put 35000 miles on my 2002. I got 18.9 average in my 02 and am currently getting 19.5 in my 06. Both V8's and both with using the A/C during summer. Try doiung a reset on your MPG when you are on the highway and drive 2-3 tanks to see what you are really getting. I did not know you could reset your average MPG until someone told me.
Also I am not really a lead foot though I do speed!!

my tank was a little less than full and it had 290 till empty and i took my battery to autozone zone because I thought it was going bad. Well when i put it back on it jumped to 330

This has been covered before. Taking off the battery for a moment will reset the fuel calculations and you will need to drive through I think two tanks before it comes back to reality.

I have a 2000 V6 and I only get about 330 miles to a full tank. But I do drive regularly at 80 mph on the highway. I would say 70% highway and 30% city. The last 3 months I haven't been in NYC everyday and mainly on the Jersey turnpike and Gardens state parkway.

My '04 V6 averages about 25MPG with 50/50 city/highway. I typically roll 5MPH over the limit in town and +15MPH on the interstate.

I'm not hard on the takeoffs, my shifts typically occurs at 2500RPM and I stop as little as possible by slowing down ahead of time and approaching stops with as light of braking as possible.

I also use the mountains to my advantage, only increasing speed uphill when needed for safety on highway entrances in traffic, not to reach the speed limit as fast as I can. I use the downhill strides and flat runs to gain the speeds I wish to cruise, and on the freeway I add some extra momentum before starting up a mountain for the purpose of not requiring as heavy of a foot to maintain my average cruise speed.

Cruise control on all cars suck in my area due to the ever changing grades, I've always found I get better mileage actually driving a car. I also buy my fuel $20 at a time just so I'm not carrying the added weight. It doesn't matter much tank to tank, but I figure over time it may add up to a buck or two (yes I sqeak when I walk).

yeah i guess i missed that part but it would've been cool if the new range was the real one.

This has been covered before. Taking off the battery for a moment will reset the fuel calculations and you will need to drive through I think two tanks before it comes back to reality.

Hello,

Engine trouble and high vehicle emission could be the reason behind low gas mileage, bad driving habit may cause 30 % extra gas use so check your driving habit first.

Regards,
sarah_9

Cheap Driving School

drive slower than usual....i put my :q in cruise @ 30mph if im not really rushing anywhere....speed limit doesn't mean u have to be right on the dot...although you WILL have a lot of people riding your ass. :) but that's the fun part.

Wow dont let pete see that there is a female here. Look at her profile also no cars just advertising.:shifty:

yeah plus she doesn't seem flirty like the california girl...who we haven't seen on in some time :p

Driving habits have the most impact on MPG.

It doesnt matter if you go the speed limit, it's "how you drive" to get up to the speed limit that matters.

sitting idling in the car "bumping the jams" also had a detrimental effect on MPG.

chances are the issue is between the steering wheel and the drivers seat.. probably a loose nut.

Loose nut lol hey pete ask her if she can teach you to drive a stick!

Members online

No members online now.
Back