Question on 2003 ls rear struts

Dewanjd

2003 lincoln ls
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2003 lincoln ls that needs rear struts replaced....My question to everyone is what would be the besr type to get for performance, price, and durability..........

Hi, I have a 2003 lincoln ls that needs rear struts replaced....My question to everyone is what would be the besr type to get for performance, price, and durability..........

Almost everyone (including parts stores) calls them struts, but they are not struts. They are coil over shock. There is a difference.

Anyway, the answers to your questions are only a quick search away.

I know a guy that can get some...

well actually I know a guy that knows a guy, and I think that guy even knows a couple of guys that cant get you taken care of.

i thought about monroe or kyb struts

ok so I need to replace the rack and pinion and the struts cuz some dumb jimmy johns delivery girl backed into the back of my ls (no body damage thank god). Which her insurance is kindly paying for. I looked at ebay and saw a rack and pinion for 150 but I found bad comments about the quality of the parts. So now i'm searching a couple of places to find a good price and good quality. I found one at pepboy's that was around 140 with a 155 core charge. Has anyone had to replace one of these and what would be a good recommendation. Also what do you guys think about Monroe or kyb for the struts/ coil over shock....

if her insurance is paying for it, why are you even concerned with finding a good price?

send it off to the dealer, get all the best parts, and have a warranty on the work.

anything less would just be uncivilized.

well the insurance company told me to take it to a repair shop so I did. Originally they where going to make me pay half the cost for repairs because accidents that happen in parking lots are (driver beware). Meaning it doesn't apply to the rules of the road laws. Some 50/50 crap they told me. So I did my research and found that it was true in which I ended up using my regular mechanic for an estimate. So I wouldn't have to come out of pocket alot of money. Well the insurance company found I wasn't at fault so now i'm stuck with the original quote I gave them from my mechanic. So yes you are right but considering the situation I have to make due with what I got from them. Also sense they are sending the check to me I figured I might as well save a little money and buy the parts myself...

well the insurance company told me to take it to a repair shop so I did. Originally they where going to make me pay half the cost for repairs because accidents that happen in parking lots are (driver beware). Meaning it doesn't apply to the rules of the road laws. Some 50/50 crap they told me. So I did my research and found that it was true in which I ended up using my regular mechanic for an estimate. So I wouldn't have to come out of pocket alot of money. Well the insurance company found I wasn't at fault so now i'm stuck with the original quote I gave them from my mechanic. So yes you are right but considering the situation I have to make due with what I got from them. Also sense they are sending the check to me I figured I might as well save a little money and buy the parts myself...
Sounds like you did this ALL wrong...

Well, that's a sad situation. Insurance stuff seldom works out well.
for the shocks, OEM - and more specifically the OEM "Sport" (sometimes called "Special") - really is the only way to go for a decent shock. If you have the base suspension, the sport is firmer but not uncomfortable. If you prefer floating on clouds, then stay with the OEM base.
For the rack, just whatever you can find. Rebuilds are always questionable quality as there's a severe shortage of quality rebuilders. Or you can get an OEM one from a junkyard and just clean it up and check the seals.

... Originally they where going to make me pay half the cost for repairs because accidents that happen in parking lots are (driver beware). Meaning it doesn't apply to the rules of the road laws. Some 50/50 crap they told me. So I did my research and found that it was true ...

Either that's new, or doesn't apply to all states/communities. The last time someone damaged one of my cars parked in a store parking lot, their (the party that hit my car) insurance fully paid to repair it.

How does a car that was hit in the rear with no body damage, damage the shocks and steering rack? Her insurance isn't "kindly" paying for any damage, they are required to pay. My wife got backed into a few years back and his insurance paid for all the damage.

How does a car that was hit in the rear with no body damage, damage the shocks and steering rack? Her insurance isn't "kindly" paying for any damage, they are required to pay. My wife got backed into a few years back and his insurance paid for all the damage.

Yeah you guys are right in thinking that but I called a lawyer for myself and he told me the same thing the insurance company said....So i'm stuck with the detective work. They are paying for the damage but only the quote I gave them from my mechanic....

In the future, you now know that you get the quote from the dealer then have them cut you a check. Then, you use that money to buy the parts and make the repairs yourself.

X2 on the rebuilds, they are not worth the effort. When the rebuild them they only replace the parts that fail their very loose specs, and that's the quality rebuilder. Some of them don't do anything more than wash them off and stick them back in the box as a rebuild.

i would get a couple more quotes, and tell them your mechanic made a mistake in the quote and it is inaccurate.

quotes are not always accurate, things can change once you begin the repair and can uncover damaged not known to be done.

if the other party did cause the damage, they need to fix it. if your state requires you to pay half, go to the dealership for a quote, they will al least be twice the price of a lot of places and then should cover the entire repair somewhere else.

Members online

No members online now.
Back