Question before I pop 400 dollars on new COPs

bobbyzarlinga

LVC Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I went out and I got "ETC failsafe, check transmission, service parking brake, check advancetrac" No speedo or odometer and an E in the place of the gear your in. After eating dinner at a friends house I turned it back on to leave and it was back to normal.. No codes.. But today while driving it went into ETC failsafe, and service parking brake with two codes.. P2106 and U1039. Cleared codes and turned off car.. After trick or treating, went to leave and the car ran with no problems. Also, car seems to have harsh engagement going into 3rd gear from second, but seems to shift flawlessly when its 40 degrees outside (for about 15 miles then it seems to harsh shift again into 3rd..

Does this seem like a COP and tranny solenoid issue or just COP issue?

Sorry ahead of time if this is a dumb question..

Sadly I can't help you on this and am wondering the same thing myself. I have had random "check advancetrac" issues as well as "strange/hard" shifts as well. Once I did get an ETC failsafe, but hasn't happened again. My coils are slowly dropping and I need new valve cover gaskets (common oil leak), which i have ordered. Also going to replace COPs and spark plugs. Just wondering if this will solve my issues as well. Researching on this site suggests that all these problems we are having could very well be COP related. Mine need done anyways so yea.

well I would start with coils and plugs, then see what it doesn't fix

Sounds like a coil problem to me (at least I had a very similiar experience previously and it was a coil issue).

What year is the car, what engine do you have, how many miles are on it?

Sorry I should have mentioned that in the original post...

2003 V8 - 158k miles.

EDIT - - BTW. When you said you had similar issues... Is that transmission included?

Do you know the service history of the vehicle? The systems themselves may not be directly the cause of the noted code(s). Two things typically can cause enough EMI/RFI static noise in a Gen II to cause those types of issues due to the intercommunicative nature of the CAN bus system. Either you can be having the secondary windings in a COP (ignition coils) shorting out or possibly the windings in the DDCV solenoids are shorting out. Double check the heat output and control on both the driver's and passenger's side of the climate control system. If that is not the problem, then have the COP's load tested or at that mileage you may want to have them all replaced along with a fresh set of spark plugs.

Sorry I should have mentioned that in the original post...

2003 V8 - 158k miles.

EDIT - - BTW. When you said you had similar issues... Is that transmission included?

Mine is 2004 V8 - 107K miles. Not sure what you are asking "is that transmission included"

Replace the COP's and spark plugs. If you find oil in the plug wells, replace valve cover gaskets.

If you plan on keeping your LS you will likely have to do this sooner than later.

Mine is 2004 V8 - 107K miles. Not sure what you are asking "is that transmission included"

Voyeur had mentioned he had similar issues as mine, so i was curious if he was having transmission issues as well?

Do you know the service history of the vehicle? The systems themselves may not be directly the cause of the noted code(s). Two things typically can cause enough EMI/RFI static noise in a Gen II to cause those types of issues due to the intercommunicative nature of the CAN bus system. Either you can be having the secondary windings in a COP (ignition coils) shorting out or possibly the windings in the DDCV solenoids are shorting out. Double check the heat output and control on both the driver's and passenger's side of the climate control system. If that is not the problem, then have the COP's load tested or at that mileage you may want to have them all replaced along with a fresh set of spark plugs.

The DCCV can cause these issues?? I have been having slight issues lately. Passenger side warmer then driver side when ac is on, and the seats are shutting off seconds after being pressed.

Voyeur had mentioned he had similar issues as mine, so i was curious if he was having transmission issues as well?

The DCCV can cause these issues?? I have been having slight issues lately. Passenger side warmer then driver side when ac is on, and the seats are shutting off seconds after being pressed.

Also, I had a car fax report when I bought the car (5 months ago), but it had nothing more then cosmetic fixes and general lube jobs listed.

Replace the COP's and spark plugs. If you find oil in the plug wells, replace valve cover gaskets.

If you plan on keeping your LS you will likely have to do this sooner than later.

I figured as much.. I don't mind spending money on the car.. But with a new baby in our household funds are pretty tight.. But if I "need to" I will..

Have the DDVC check first - sounds like that can be the issue. It was on my car and it keep setting the service parking brake message.

... and the seats are shutting off seconds after being pressed.

This is a different issue. The two most likely possibilities are:
1. The fans have failed. This is probably nothing more than a blown fuse on the circuit board of the brushless motor.
2. The ducts in the seat cushion have been crushed. There are revised ducts available that don't have that issue, and a TSB that explains how to retrofit them.

Start the car up and then turn each seat on. If you hear the seat fan run for a few seconds, then the problem is crushed ducts. If the fan doesn't run even at the start, then the issue is a failed fan motor.

1. The fans have failed. This is probably nothing more than a blown fuse on the circuit board of the brushless motor.
2. The ducts in the seat cushion have been crushed. There are revised ducts available that don't have that issue, and a TSB that explains how to retrofit them.

Start the car up and then turn each seat on. If you hear the seat fan run for a few seconds, then the problem is crushed ducts. If the fan doesn't run even at the start, then the issue is a failed fan motor.

Yeah I didn't mention this earlier because I read a previous post about the duct work or fan motor issue. But like at the doctors office.. Sometimes it best to say issues even if I think I know the answer.. lol..

Before doing all that, remove the underseat filters and see if that fixes it. Takes 5 seconds, costs nothing to test. My seats had the same problem, discovered that the plastic backing that holds the filter media out of the fan had distorted and was running into the fan blades. I did a quick on the spot fix by using paper clips to hold the plastic off the blades until the new, very expensive (considering the size) filters came in.

Couldn't a bunch of electrical errors point to a bad alternator?

Are the seats designed in the same fashion with gen1 cars ?

Are the seats designed in the same fashion with gen1 cars ?

Not at all.

Gen I - heated with a resistor wire running around behind the seat covers.

Gen II - heated or cooled with air blown past Peltier effect modules that heat or cool depending on the direction that current is passed through them. The air blows out through ventilation holes in the seat covers.

When there are problems, with gen II it is usually the blower motors or crushed or disconnected ducts. With gen I it is usually broken resistor wires.

Thanks Joe. I figured that would be the answer since I remembered
having inspected the seats, and never saw any plumbing around their.

Well I replaced all the coils and spark plugs and my problem is still there. I drove for 25 miles and decided to shut her down. After starting back up I put in reverse and then drive. The tranny seemed to shutter going into second gear and the car freaked out. Etc failsafe, check parking break. Blah blah. And check engine light. Shut it down and turned back on and everything was normal again. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

What coils did you use?
Did you verify that the spark plug gap was 1.0mm on each plug?

If you verified the gaps and you used Motorcraft coils, then it's time to get someone good to scope out the ignition to find out where it's going wrong.

Well I replaced all the coils and spark plugs and my problem is still there. I drove for 25 miles and decided to shut her down. After starting back up I put in reverse and then drive. The tranny seemed to shutter going into second gear and the car freaked out. Etc failsafe, check parking break. Blah blah. And check engine light. Shut it down and turned back on and everything was normal again. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Condition of battery and alternator?? Just a shot in the dark as the LS does goofy things with a failing electrical system. And no, the message center may not show it.

Members online

Back