Question about coil conversion

hammer489

LVC Member
Reaction score
I planned on swapping the lowered coil kit from my 94 onto my 97 and using the regular ride height springs on the 94 until I found this:

IMG01008-20120111-2011.jpg

This part was NOT on the junkyard car that I removed the springs from. I went back and looked today just to make sure. Also, I looked at the pictures of various conversion kits available and have not found this part included with any of the others I've found.

I have tried a torch and other various methods of removal to no avail.

Is this a needed part? Any tips?

Looks like the piece that comes with the arnott coil conversion kit. Should just fall out, but must be corroded in there. Leave in in there. Your coil spring should sit over the top of it. It's there to help the coil stay centered in the pocket.

Looks like the piece that comes with the arnott coil conversion kit. Should just fall out, but must be corroded in there. Leave in in there. Your coil spring should sit over the top of it. It's there to help the coil stay centered in the pocket.

its in his 94. needs to be in his 97. gotta come out and move over.

You don't have to have that part. I have springs in my pockets that had air bags in them with nothing. I know the hole is huge and the springs is just sitting in there, but you have a 4000 pound car resting on it - it's not like it can go anywhere!

There is no noise and the car rides fine. Just try it if you don't believe me!

You don't have to have that part. I have springs in my pockets that had air bags in them with nothing. I know the hole is huge and the springs is just sitting in there, but you have a 4000 pound car resting on it - it's not like it can go anywhere!

There is no noise and the car rides fine. Just try it if you don't believe me!

Agreed. For a daily driver springs will work without it. Suspension gurus will disagree, but it isn't worth it if you're on a budget.

If you are on a limited budget and want to keep costs
down, a 4" compression pipe plug also works to help
center the springs.

You can find it anywhere where plumbing supplies are sold.

Just add a 1-3/8" washer as the centering plug and
replace the wingnuts with hexnuts/bolts.
And you're done.

IMG_6242-1.jpg

Once the bolts are tightened, the springs
fit perfectly around the whole thing.

If you are on a limited budget and want to keep costs
down, a 4" compression pipe plug also works to help
center the springs.

You can find it anywhere where plumbing supplies are sold.

Just add a 1-3/8" washer as the centering plug and
replace the wingnuts with hexnuts/bolts.
And you're done.

IMG_6242-1.jpg

Once the bolts are tightened, the springs
fit perfectly around the whole thing.

That is awesome. Thank you!!!

Has anyone had to run an isolator under the rear spring to keep the car level or is that only when doing the t bird suspension swap?

I have that rubber pad from energy susp under my lowered rear springs. It's still 1/2-3/4" lower then the front. This spring i'm going to buy those 1"~ rubber lower perch spacers or install my t-bird springs. I'm not sure if the standard height guys have that problem.

Has anyone had to run an isolator under the rear spring to keep the car level or is that only when doing the t bird suspension swap?

Funny you mentioned that. My Thunderbird has an LSC sub-frame under it with no isolators whatsoever and the car sits perfect.

You can add a set of isolators to lift 3/4" if you want.

I'll get some pics tomorrow to show how the car sits.

Please do. My parts car "seemed" to sit ok even though the passenger side was wiped out.... and it had the coil conversion kit that I will be using

For the 1" drop spring kit from Vogtland, does anyone know what I need for isolators in the rear? I'm a noob at this. I'm assuming that I don't want the rear to sit lower than the front for drag racing purposes? More than likely, I'm running the Tokico blues up front and still haven't found rear shocks yet. I was gonna get the Bilsteins for the rear from ebay until I realized the guy only had one shock available. I just want to make sure that the ride height isn't all goofy and uneven.

Members online

Back